Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 55 Straight Axle Chevy Gasser build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Nov 28, 2007.

1. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

2. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

Very nice , I like it !!

If someone was thinking about building something like this, any tips or advice on what to NOT DO ?

4. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Yea Big Dad lots of $$$$$ but well worth it.:D

Attached Files:

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

Sweet !!
    When can I come see it ?

6. Dantana

Dantana
    from San Diego

That thing is bad ass. Love the engine. My favorite gasser set up..the 55. It will be very fun to drive.

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update on the 55. Since my last post, I have removed the blower and had it re-shimmed and new seals,etc and is back on the motor with a couple of Holley carbs. Mounted the Holleys sideways, so that involved new linkage,etc(more money and time),but the motor idles and throttle response is right there.
    The trans is out at present and found the rear drum was broken, so that was why reverse was slipping.I should have the tranny back the end of this week. In the meantime I cut and fit my good hood today. Little "finish" body work ,and I'll bolt on the hinges etc, and that will be done. So, with a little luck, I hope to be driving it next week-end. :D

[​IMG]

8. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

There you go, this guy GETS IT!

All I can say is you have studied history well, great going on that classic '55!

9. glassguy

glassguy

if you do, cross the bridge and come on by!!!! love to see it..

10. chris55

chris55

Damn that looks good.

11. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Great thread, on a great looking ride.

12. man, that car just looks right !

13. skrapin_64

skrapin_64
    from Chino ,CA

the is 1 badass 55 man. question for you. you have the small fuel tank up front and i noticed in the under carriage pics the stock fuel tank was gone. Are you only running the front tank or is that like a reserve/looks tank? cause you sad it was gonna be a street car mostly so i figure that would be alot fo gas station hopping haha

all your info is very valuable to me as i am gonna be building a 55 pontiac. this has the most info ive found to date! BIG THANKS

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Looks great Baron, can't wait to see AND hear it up close. Any chance it'll be done in time for the Alter Boys show this Saturday?

15. I really like the car! The tires are the perfect size. I like everything about it. Great job.

16. Large_911

Large_911

Looks killer! Love that hemi in there!

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Just got home with the tranny tonight.I'll put it back in tomorrow morning and I should be good to go(that is what I said back in July... :rolleyes: ).I'll post tomorrow night with the results.

That tank is used for nothing at the moment. I have the stock tank in the back, which may still call for some gas station hopping.
    [​IMG]

18. lorodz

lorodz

love it...cant wait till mine is at this stage ......keep it up..

19. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey baron i actualy ran a 55 chevy gasser from 1964 1966. it had a small block chevy. but son u have the mother of all gassers.WOW i would have killed for ur blown hemmy. be carfull with this monster or it will kill u. onestly baron please be real kool with it for awhile...think safety first. but then again if u have experiance with the hot ones. then blow their damned doors off. just call me pop.

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good news and not so good news. The trans is in and working fine. Still some problems with the blower. Drove the car home Friday for the first time. Drove fine, and am very happy with the steering,ride, handling,brakes,etc.
    I removed the blower once I got home and hopefully we will have a good look at it this week to see what may be causing my rotor clearance problem. Other then that minor problem, all is good. With any luck I hope to have it at the last Nostalgia Drags of this season at New England Dragway next Sunday(not to race/need time to break in the motor, rear end,etc), but still be nice to have the car there. We'll see. :)
    [​IMG]

21. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

The car looks great Baron,I hope to see someday.

22. Rich1028

Rich1028

thanks for keeping us informed of the cool project!!

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blower is off ( for the third time). Looks like all it can be is one of the rotors is moving on the shaft. Going to double pin both rotors, re-set everything and try it again. Good thing is I can have it off and back on in less then an hour. :D
    [​IMG]

24. slobroy

slobroy

Just found your thread on your 55, read it all the way through. All I can say is Damn... You should put out a book on how to build a traditional gasser. Love It.

25. It's always a pleasure to see another 55 gasser come to life, gives me more inspiration to get busy on my creation, 30 days away from retirement and finally able to forsee some build time in my future,:eek::).

26. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Hey Baron, how's that blower coming. I was wondering what cam you used in your 392. Dan

27. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

what steering box are you using? i'm thinking of going the gasser route on a 48 chevy coupe i have. thanks

28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

i like it alot. mean chevy.

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM 525 box . Used from 1965 to 1991.Mine came from a 67 Chevelle that someone removed when new and installed power steering.

The blower had one rotor moving on its shaft. Looks like one pin had a little play in it. So they are both double pinned now, and hope to get it back by Friday.
    I do not have the specs on the cam. it is hydraulic, was a blower motor cam and it came from Hot Heads. I bough this motor complete from a friend of mine, but he moved into a new house and never found the paper work. I have had the motor for 5 years . I originally put it in a 33 Willys coupe, but gave up on the project( became 6 years of aggravation...) and decided to build another 55 Chevy and put the Hemi in it. I'd have a 4spd in this car had it not been in the Willys and there was no room for a clutch pedal. Here is a pic of the 33.
    [​IMG]

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I probably built over 200 models as a kid. That's how it starts. :D
    ps That is a great looking 53 Stude in your sig. You build that?