Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Anglia to rod or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordeaux, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Gordeaux

Gordeaux

Okay. I'm looking for opinions. I have a totally stock '51 Anglia in great shape. It draws lots of people, most of whom say something like, "This must be the only one left that isn't a hot rod". I know it's not and while I love this car, it is a dog on the road. I really want a sort of sleeper that looks stock but has some guts. My choices, for my tatses, are: get the original speed equipment for the stock motor like high comp head and twin carbs, bigger cam (all still available) or put a '51 Ford flathead v8 in there with some of the speed equipment like heads and carbs. In both of these scenarios, my conscience is good because they both would be period correct hot rods. Any thoughts out there as to which of these would be better? Thanks, Gordo

2. Step over to the dark side, you know you want more than 30 HP ;)

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

before I sold mine I was looking for a T-bird turbo coupe or Mustang SVO motor...

4. A "totaly stock Anglia in great shape" deserves to stay that way.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

They were meant to be HotRodded.. Do It.. (well some were).. there is a very clean original one up here.. next time he has it out.. Ill get a photo..

6. Gordeaux

Gordeaux

You know, I have felt that way about this car too. I am the second owner, it only has 63K miles on it. It looks quite nice for 58 year old paint. But like the fellow said, 30 hp is not much and on the hills, she really slows down. I have a Laycock overdrive to put in it, which will help the top speed on the hiway, but the lack of power is sometimes frustrating.

7. Show us some pictures to help us decide

8. How about a flathead V-8 60.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

well, if your going to cut it up, at least make it worthwhile with some horsepower...:rolleyes:

10. Larry T

Larry T

LOTS of Anglia projects out there that have been started, not many stockers. I'd leave it stock and hot rod one that's already cut up.
    And this is from someone that has a couple of hotrod Anglia projects.
    Larry T

11. Gordeaux

Gordeaux

There isn't a lot of cutting to fit the flathead v8 in there. If I do that, I'll probably go with a Volvo 4 spd and o'drive. It's a daily driver and I'd like to keep it useable for everyday use. It's 14 miles over country roads round trip to work. I'l try to post a pic here.

Attached Files:

12. Kenny P

Kenny P

Wow, that's nice!!
    Keep her stock, buy another, make that one a full blown gasser,
    park them side by side in the garage.
    "Before and after" conversation peices.:)

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

wow, that is nice...

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

As much as I like them as a Gasser,
    if that was mine I'd turn it in a Berpop clone.

That was a well known Road Racer that turned Street Car and then dissappeared ( stolen, I think...)

Or turn it into a Gasser.

The one thing I wouldn't do, is leave it stock. :D

Attached Files:

15. I'd leave that one alone (And I own a fairly famous Anglia Gasser). Sell it to someone who wants a stocker and build a Gasser or Rod out of one that's already been messed with

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Tube chassis....Halibrands....V-8

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

$15...found it in an open garage while on my paper route, mid-60's

[​IMG]
    3 years later...street driven
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. heres a couple o pics of my 42 anglia. sold it before i cut it as there aint many 42s around. :D

Attached Files:

19. Jimv

Jimv

don't touch it!! I'm not one for leaving them stock but that one is too perfect!
    jimV

20. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

How many stock Anglias does the world need so that folks can see what the original looked like? Once you've satisfied yourself there are enough of them salted away in a museum somewhere to satisfy the historians any leftovers are free for modding.. Do you really think that in fifty years anyone is going to care if your car is modded Probably not. Do what you want with it. (Disclaimer, I'm swapping a SBF into an Austin-Healey and am on the run from the purists)

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

One...

And one Popular.

The rest are fair game... :)

22. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

There is one in my area that has a V8 60 hooked to the original drivetrain.That little 60 horse motor looks like it belongs there.The guy that owns it won't bring it out.I know it has been sitting 30 years and no he will not sell it.A friend of mine just got his 51 done this year.It was at Louisville.He used a FatMan frame with small block auto.

23. brandon

brandon

yup...especially if its lasted 58 years. too many survivors getting cut up...:rolleyes:

24. Hey why be unique when you can join the "gasser sheeple"
    I

25. brandon

brandon

anglia gasser.....:rolleyes: not sure if i've ever seen one of those.:D

26. Here's the way I see it. 14 Miles isn't very far to go in a 45 mile an hour vehicle. Never the less you have already stated that you are not happy with the horse power.
    As far as period correctness if that's what it takes to get yourself motivated then knock yourself out.
    I probably wouldn't go the flathead 60 route, as 60 ponies isn't going to get you down the road much faster that the original motor and souping the original banger isn't going to make much difference either. It sounds pretty romantic but if romance is what your'e after save your money and rent Sleepless in Seattle.
    You can spend a ton of money on a flatty and if you get lucky or know an especially good machanic/machinist you can actually drive it occaisionally to Astoria.
    Or you could find a Volvo mill and set it up like an old club racer, or you could even (heaven forbid) snag a late model twin cam of some sort and it would even look cool when you open the hood. If I was set on a banger I'd snag an Iron Duke, mate it to whatever tranny I had available and be happy with a good little commute car.
    Bottom line is that non of our opinions are worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. Its totally up to you to make yourself happy and you need no validation from us.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gordeaux, I feel your pain, trying to make this age-old decision. 'cause anything is only ORIGINAL once! I'm gonna sit the fence on this one. But, ZMan sure got my blood pressure up talking about a T-Bird Turbo coupe, though!

It's hard to start altering something that's stayed dead stock for 58 years. If you love the style as much as you apparently do, any chance of finding a SECOND (not so pristine) Anglia you could roll all the marbles on? If you have the bank account and garage space, you could have the best of BOTH worlds!

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

As Pork&Beaner says, it's EACH guy's own decision to do with his property what he wants. Sure it takes ball to start cutting up something dead stock. BUT, I say it also takes balls to hold yer ground and keep something stock as a stove (not that it's easy finding parts for a half-century-old car!). If you keep it stock, some people will always sneer at your -- what? -- lack of imagination. If you alter it irreversibly, there'll be the purist crowd who decry that another "classic" has bitten the dust.

ALL the more reason to choose your own path. And don't apologize to anybody for your ultimate choice. IT'S STILL A FREE COUNTRY (at least for a while yet). That's the car hobby -- basically two camps, same as always. Myself, I think the world is big enough for both rodders and restorers -- 'specially since I have/have had BOTH! My '69 New Yorker 4DH will ALWAYS remain stock. My '55 Fireflite is mildly customized (though NOT irreversibly). My '38 Plymouth 4-door, I'm still looking for a hi-deck DeSoto and a 727 for that!

29. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

yrs ago my college instructor had a 48 thames panel, 396 tall deck,etc... 1300hp 7.30ishmph 1/4 times.. he sold it about 6yrs ago...

Attached Files: