Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can someone please tell me what these brakes are from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silent Matt, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Silent Matt

Silent Matt
    from Arkansas

Just trying to figure out what these came off of and what they fit. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

They look like they might be early mopar... I'll check some resources and get back to you... If someone doesn't before I do.

I'm actually looking for a set so if they are and you want to sell them, let me know.
    -Chris

3. 12905

They're Mopar. The one with the wheel cylinder shows what appears to be a step bore cylinder. If it is, then it is early to mid-thirties - probably Plymouth or Dodge. Doesn't appear to be bigger drum diameter for DeSoto or Chrysler.

4. Silent Matt

Silent Matt
    from Arkansas

Any chance they'll fit a Ford tube axle?

5. Well not an air plane that's for sure or they would be air brakes.

I'm guessing early MOPAR also. And if so the king pin will be too small to fit a ford axle. but the backing plates can be adapted to ford spindles.

6. Silent Matt

Silent Matt
    from Arkansas

Will the drums fit Ford square back spindles?

7. They look identical to the pair of front drums I have just removed from my 39 Plymouth Pick up.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the ford fitment bit though.

8. Matt the operative word here is adapted to fit. Probably have to redrill the backing plate and get a set of timken bearings to go in the hubs or else use ford hubs and slip the drums over the Ford hubs.

Yes they can be adapted, no its not a big deal and you're other option is to ream the MOPAR spindle to fit a Ford Kingpin and bushings. But either one can be done.

But I'm absolutely sure you can do it if you set about doing it.

9. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

You would have to do some heavy modifications to the backing plates in order to get them to fit on ford square back spindles... Not to mention you still have way less stopping power with those rather than regular 40 ford or something of the like. However, if you like, I do have some ford backing plates and some misc. inners that I would not mind parting with if you want to do some horse trading:rolleyes::).

10. greaseguns

greaseguns

The mopar brakes are harder to adjust correctly too. Use ford brakes.

11. Silent Matt

Silent Matt
    from Arkansas

I have Ford backing plates and spindles just no hubs or drums yet.

12. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Start by measuring the diameter of the wheel drums, there should be casting numbers on the inside top of the spindles for comparison. i would take a careful look at exactly identifing what you have 1st, then decide what your budget, skills and
    time allows for adaptation to the project your wanting them for.