Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Subarus are not too bad, I used to have a little turbo charged Forester that got up and moved pretty good...It was an 04 with a 5 speed...
    Not bad for a wagon and great to run up for snowboarding...
    I traded it in on an 06 Tahoe as well, growing family out grew the Subaru...

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea they are insane, have become the most popular rally car of all time, every time I see a picture of one it's usually in mid air in the middle of a jump.

3. TrailorPark

TrailorPark
    from Wahiawa HI

Japanese Sticka make car go fasta :rolleyes:

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

My favorite-

I can break the tires loose at 60 MPH.

And it's an 83 Vette. :rolleyes:

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Yup, nobody else had anything to do with it. You were all alone out there.

To keep it on topic, I had a guy at work mention how he thought it was nice that I "didn't hack that coupe up and left it stock bodied" (It's chopped 3-9/16 inch) When I told him I had chopped it, he got all flustered and said I couldn't have, and that Special Coupes had lower roofs then standard ones etc etc. I should have taken a leftover piece from the chop into work and shown it to him. Oh well. :confused:

6. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A fart can exhaust tip will add 40 HP to a Honda Civic...

7. mac762

mac762

Maybe he had a powerglide?

8. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

"I heard a preacher tell a story behind the pulpit about powershifting into 2nd gear at 90mph in a street race once."

I'd like to attend that church....Our Lady of Acceleration

9. abc123

abc123

Those ARE 10 second cars. They're just confusing the 60' time with the 1/4 mile time.

10. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

That reminds me, I had a student with an eclipse, he claimed some stupid fast 0-60 time and said he could prove it on his time slip.....it was the 60' mark....

11. We'd punch you in the nose before we wasted good lead on ya anyway!

Amen.

As for idiots at events. I tried to have a good conversation with a local that shall remain nameless but drives a a Purple Dodge Touring when I first started building mine. I said "nice Touring, I happen to be working on a Ford Touring car". He snapped back with some remark about it being a Dodge and not a Ford. Years later he had to come ask me for advice on both 54's and his touring when I was at the rod shop so I guess it all worked out in the end.

12. theoneyouhate

theoneyouhate
    from Atlanta

okay a little O/T but the service writer at the shop I work at knows everything because hes older. he has been in the business for 35 years and knows more than anyone. when he still doesnt know the different amc engines even when he worked at the dealership back in th late 60's. So theres a big car show in Cartersville and he takes pictures all the time and brings em to work to show us. well he is showing s the pictures and comes to a Charger with a 440 motor and says "yeah its got a hemi" and clicks to the next picutre. I said wait what? that wasn't a hemi it looked like a 440. he went back and said no its a hemi see it says magnum on the (valve covers or the air cleaner I cant remember) and I said yeah you're right and walked out. everyone else in the room also knew it was NOT a hemi.

13. tomslik

tomslik

that would be bad how?

14. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

How bout " Its balanced and blueprinted" yeah right.

15. skwurl

skwurl

Not bad at all. A fresh start.

16. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

He isn't going fast enough to require a cage or shutoff.

17. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Former co-worker claimed he blew up the trans street racing his Z/28, lost all forward gears so he drove it home in reverse.

Same guy also said a "dragstrip in Florida" told him not to bring his car back after he beat every car there running heads-up. Must be some really slow cars at that strip.

18. hotflint

hotflint

SO TRUE! The lawn chair car builders club

19. G'day all,

A few years back a fellow talked me out of my daily driver corvette. I was sad to see it go but knew I should probably get working on other projects. Well, after a couple of weeks I was in fiberglass withdrawel so a friend told me about his dad's neighbor selling a 77 vette. So....I went over to look.

Now, Joe's dad had a very low mile extremely clean 78 Corvette Pace car so his neighbor had to have a vette too. The neighbor soon found out that they are not cheap to maintane if you are a Doctor and not a mechanic. So, it was for sale.

I showed up to take a look at it and before he would even pull it out of the garage he had to tell me all about it. It had a custom front end, a custom rear bumper, leather interiour, and A HEMI. Huh???? This I had to see. So he pulls Darth Vaders Corvette out of the garage hoping to impress me. I almost wet myself laughing.

Long story short, I had to explain to this Doctor that no, adding headers and an aftermarket aluminum intake did not make it a hemi. Nor did it make it a big block. It was just a plain old 350 Chevy engine like the truck I had just driven up in. Plus, the engine rattled like an out of balance paint shaker when cold.

So after his ego was deflated I asked him for a price and he shot me a price that was a couple of thousand lower than I had anticipated. I figured I better take a closer look at this hemi. Hmmm, Lt1 aluminum covers on it. Pulled the oil fill cap out and peeked inside. Screw in rocker studs and guide plates. He then shot me another even lower offer. I wrote the check and Joe and I took off out of there with my number match L82 "Hemi" car.

20. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Four guys that worked for dodge out driving the new challengers around pull in my shop for gas thy fill up and park in front of my small store. So i go out and look at the car its the first one I've seen I'm looking at the black rt and the guy goes into his speech pops the hood and starts with its got a hemi and this and that. I stop him in the middle and tell him that ain't no hemi well he insist that its a hemi and its so fast and what ever so i open the garage door behind him and point to my funny car and the 526 keith black hemi in it and say THATS A HEMI end of conservation :D

21. I love it..kinda a thats not a knife,THIS is a KNIFE thing.......on that same new car crap,at a cruise a couple of weeks ago this guy rolls in in a brand new camaro and I ask him whats with the holes back here?? his answer well the double sticky tape came off the spoiler and it blew off at 80 miles an hour on the freeway,,,,,,,,damn

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a French guy work for the same company in Iraq, he was known as the 'Surrender Monkey', I dont think he liked it.
    Doc.

23. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

I dont care if I win a trophy or not.!!!! B.S. Listen to them later how they were robbed.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Mazooma's is an instandt CLASSIC! LOL !!!

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I hate to say it, but if the shoe fits . . . we bailed the French's butts out of TWO world wars. Where's the gratitude, huh?

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

My old boss had a 70 Chevelle rag top, actually it was a Malibu with a crate motor. Anyway, it was a pretty nice looking car and he had the BIGGEST head about it. When he was strapped for cash, he was trying to sell it and told me how EBAY found out he was selling it and they contacted him and were going to set up a special 30 day auction for him and they were going to send out a notification to every registered EBAY member about his car being up for auction. They had never done this before, but his car was so nice that they really wanted it on their site. Oh, and they were going to waive all fee's on it as well.....

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

I had to back all the way home when I stripped out the teeth in my transmission too.

28. There's that wonderful logic again - at least that's more manly than relying on your gun. :rolleyes:

29. Had a guy tell me once that he new a race car that had a "special" cam so that the engine could fire on two cylindes at the same time. Nobody could out run that car. I think I figured out who was "special" and it ain't the cam.

30. I'm contacting eBay right now and ask them why this member wasn't notified about this, I have been looking for a 70 ragtop all my life and I am pissed!