Register now to get rid of these ads!

Love, work, life, the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinyelvis, Oct 15, 2004.

1. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

O/T? Sort of.. If you care so much, don't read this post, if you don't care, read on please! This isn't a rant, or whining, or anything of the sort.. a "brain dump" of sorts more than anything.

I love the HAMB. Every morning, I come to work and check my voicemail and email, and of course, the HAMB. I can't miss much because I don't want to feel that I'm not "in the know" on any posts, or happening in the hot rod/custom world. Lame? Maybe! Do I care? Nah. I like the people on here.. young, "old" , somewhere in between. The experience, personalities, drama (yeah drama can be funny), catch phrases, endless inspiring pictures, drawing, art work, you name it it's all here.

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about things related to the topic of this post. I recently have broken up with my girlfriend of over a year, it sucks but it was better for both of us, it was really a mutual thing, and that's all I'm going say on that subject. Generally though when something like that happens, it gets you to thinking about those times in your life when you say "If I were single again I would...." or "If I could do it all over again, I would.." ... so here I am.. asking those very questions. After my divorce, I thought the same thing and I was just too devistated to do anything about it.

I work in the IT field, as a network administrator/desk side support person. I'm the guy that comes to your desk and fixes your shit, or does something in the background to break it. [​IMG] My job is clean, non-straining on my body, pays pretty well, and relatively steady. It's also boring, corporate, back-stabbing "it's all who you know" catch phrasing kahki pants wearing I'm only looking out for myself type place.. Either way, I have worked hard and long (5 years in this industry) to get where I am now, and it's tough to think that it was for nothing. There has been a lot of talk about "Outsourcing" lately in this field, and it seems it may be heading my way. If it does, that may be a key moment for me to say... "If I could do it all over again.."

I'm 28 years old, divorced, own my own home which I love dearly and work my ass off to own, enjoy my '62 Chrysler, a motorcycle, and I love working on my car and bike. I don't mind getting dirty or feeling sore after a day's work. I'm still learning but I keep trying new stuff, breaking stuff and well you know how it goes. I love cars so much, and I think I may like motorcycles even more even though in Michigan we don't get all that much use out of them.

I'm thinking I need, or want, to change careers. Go back to school, start my life over again. This is where the life experience, and work experience of this place comes in for me. I want to make a good living at something I love to do, I don't need to be rich and I'm not looking to be, but being comfortable is good too. I have read a lot about UTI, and some other local technical schools around the Detroit area. Essentially, I'm pretty scared to take a plunge like that. I have to quit my job. Sell my car. Sell my house. Essentially, everything has to change if I'm going to do this and do it right.

Is the grass always greener? I don't know, maybe this is just a case of that. You tell me. My point here is, has anyone here just sold everything, started over and not looked back at your "old life?" Changed careers completely from what you WERE doing?

I could probably do this for a long time to come, and not live a horrible life, which is part of the catch. I don't know if I'm going to be outsourced, the way things work around here, I could be promoted and buy some new kahki pants.. I suppose if it goes either direction, I should consider it a sign.

Anyway.. thanks for reading and if you have any advice for me, please share it, I would love to know what you think. If you want to tell me to F-OFF and get off the HAMB with my crap, that's cool too. I just can't think of a better place to ask this sort of question.

Oh yeah and here's a picture so more people look @ my post.. HAHA [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

When, I was your age, I too was constantly questioning what I wanted out of life and whether I had chosen a carrer path that I wanted to spend my whole life with. I think it comes with the territory. As the years pass, you'll come to the realization that the important things in the years you had experienced were what you have done for your friends and family. Not at all, what you did for a living. I am not saying not to change your paths. I am simply saying make sure your paths go straight through the hearts of those you love. Good luck!

Heres a good story I posted here a while back about priorities. I will post it again for those that are new or missed it. Its a long read but well worth it! PJ

Subject: 1000 Marbles
    The older I get, the more I enjoy Saturday mornings.
    Perhaps it's the quiet solitude that comes with being the first to rise, or maybe it's the unbounded joy of not having to be at work. Either way, the first few hours of a Saturday morning are most enjoyable.
    A few weeks ago, I was shuffling toward the basement shack with a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and the morning paper in the other. What began as a typical Saturday morning, turned into one of those lessons that life
    seems to hand you from time to time. Let me tell you about it.I turned the dial up into the phone portion of the band on my ham radio in order to listen to a Saturday morning swap net. Along the way, I came across an older sounding chap, with a tremendous signal and a golden voice.You know the kind; he sounded like he should be in the broadcasting
    business. He was telling whomever he was talking with something about "a thousand marbles". I was intrigued and stopped to listen to what he had to say.
    "Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you're busy with your job. I'm sure they pay you well but it's a shame you have to be away from home and your family so much. Hard to believe a young fellow should have to work sixty or seventy hours a week to make ends meet. Too bad you missed your daughter's
    dance recital."
    He continued, "Let me tell you something Tom, something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own priorities". And that's when he began to explain his theory of "a thousand marbles".
    "You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. The average person lives about seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about seventy-five years. Now then, I multiplied 75 times 52 and I came up with 3900, which is the number of
    Saturdays that the average person has in their entire lifetime. Now,stick with me Tom, I'm getting to the important part. It took me until I was fifty-five years old to think about all this in any detail", he went on, "and by that time I had lived through over twenty-eight hundred
    Saturdays. I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had about a thousand of them left to enjoy. I went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had. I ended up having to visit three toy stores to round up 1000 marbles. I took them home and put them inside of a
    large, clear plastic container right here in the sack next to my gear. Every Saturday since then, I have taken one
    marble out and thrown it away. I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focus more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight. Now let me tell you one last thing before I sign-off with you and take my lovely wife out for breakfast.
    This morning, I took the very last marble out of the container. I figure that if I make it until next Saturday then I have been given a little extra time. And the one thing we can all use is a little more time.It was nice to meet you, Tom, I hope you spend more time with your family,
    and I hope to meet you again here on the band. 75 year Old Man, this is K9NZQ, clear and going QRT, good morning!"
    You could have heard a pin drop on the band when this fellow signed off.Guess he gave us all a lot to think about. I had planned to work on the antenna that morning, and then I was going to meet up with a few hams to
    work on the next club newsletter. Instead, I went upstairs and woke my wife up with a kiss."C'mon honey, I'm taking you and the kids to breakfast."What brought this on?", she asked with a smile."Oh, nothing special,it's just been a long time since we spent a Saturday together with the kids. Hey, can we stop at a toy store while we're out?
    I need to buy some marbles.... "

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Tiny:
    Explore other ideas and options, but never walk away from the current job until you have completely explored what is out there.
    Since you are single, you can seriously consider relocation, and you may find that this is what you need to get a "fresh-start".
    Personally, I don not believe that going back-to-school is the answer, I think allot of folks do-it just to try and relive something that they feel that they missed out on.
    Move ahead....I know that things are going to change where you work, and it could be for the better, only time will tell.
    We have lot's of Sunshine and Sweethearts here in Florida, plenty to pick from....get out-of-the-cold and start enjoying life!
    Glenn

4. Well, you're a little young for a mid-life crisis, and having been to Broken Heartsville, I'd say all you need is a good piece of ass.

Make sure the house and the car don't just represent memories of "her". I waited three years before making that choice, and I'm glad I did.

One rusty panel don't make the whole car junk.

Maybe you just put a new shine on what you have.

...and, so far as your job goes. Do what you love to do.

This is my contribution to Tech Week. [​IMG]
    Not that I wouldn't like to see this post go...
    I'll be 40 next month and I'm starting to feel those same demons.
    But, how does a guy, like me, with hot rods, and motorcycles, and toys and chicks galore, go about having a mid-life crisis?

I love THE HAMB, too. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

5. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I would just like to say FUCK OFF [​IMG]

No really I've never been married but I was going to school at UofM and decided one morning to sell my house, stop working on cars, and move to California. Part of it was my roommates fault seeing as how we thought a road trip was in order. So we drove out there after my house sold for a li'l less than I wanted and discovered that Cali was more exspensive than we thought...we did ok though and ended up working at some dumpy factory type place in so-cal. things were looking good for a while 'till I decided I wanted to live in Chicago...So I loaded up my crappy truck and moved to Ill. and worked for a trans shop 'till Michigan sucked me back to it's cold, dead grip. I'm now happily employed at a cube farm and watch the cube cows graze, and feel completely unfullfilled at the end of the day, then I get in my car and sit in traffic for an hour so I can go to my second job and do nothing until late at night where I get to go to my house and sleep for a few hours (unless my girlfriend is over [​IMG]) then wake up and do it over [​IMG]

In short I'm saying kahki pants are now part of your life and you're stuck with them until all of our jobs get outsorced [​IMG]. but that isn't too bad 'cause they will then have to hire us to tear down the abondond (sp) office buildings that we all hate to look at anyway [​IMG]

6. Mass Butcher

Mass Butcher

I know what you mean. I'm 34 and I'm re-inventing and "doing over" now. Up until 5 years ago I had an awesome paying job in a field I hated, but never complained because of the money. I was divorced with one child, and had the world by the balls. Problem was I never had time to enjoy it. Then I found an old flame, got married and had another kid. Even less time to enjoy life. Then one day I got laid off because "I cost too much" [​IMG]. So I got real low, and depressed. Looked around jobs in the same field paying less than I was making before, and finally sat back and thought..Hmmm, maybe this happened for a reason and it's time to do something I've always wanted to. So I did. I now own and operate my own business and play by my rules. I have sacrificed a lot of the nice things I used to afford, and live on a tightly balanced budget, but I am 10 times happier than I ever was.
    Point is, there comes only a few times in your life when you have the "perfect" opportunity to start over again. When it comes, take it. You'll kick yourself in the ass for not doing it. worse case, you fail. Big deal, at least you tried. The trick is knowing "when".
    Good topic, made me think [​IMG]

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is tech week, but I love elvis so this post stays.

8. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

Just a couple of things that ive come to realize in my 38 years.
    Anything you Love, you will learn to hate when you do it as a job.
    Life is just too short, shit it seems just yesterday I was 18. Man where does it go? We spend all week just waiting for the two days that we dont have to be at work.
    I really didnt know what I wanted to do after school, and I still dont. Work sucks. Ive changed careers again, I went to a "Beter" place LOL what a joke.
    Try to enjoy what we have here, our short time, because it really matter when were dead. Bill

9. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

Oh yea one other thing at least we have the H.A.M.B. YEA [​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

bout 20 yrs ago I started worked for uncle sam dealing with something that could be interesting at times, but turned into mostly bs work after several years. My wife was working in the same field, making the same good money, so I could afford to quit and do something I liked for a change. About 15 yrs ago I quit and started a shop and did what I liked, but eventually the fact that I wasn't making hardly any money at it got to me, this was soon after the 2nd and 3rd kids came along with daycar expenses etc. So I moved my work stuff home, and still work on cars part time as well as taking care of the kids (who are all teenagers now). My wife still makes decent money, and supports us.

If not for my wife working, I would never have made the move, and if I had I would have been hard pressed to keep my toys, let alone keep food on the table.

I'm lucky, I could afford to do what I wanted to do...most guys don't have the opportunity. If you do give it all up, take the time first to make sure you have something to fall back on, or be prepared to work your butt off for a long time and not get far on your dreams.

I guess I lucked out in the love department!

When I was a kid the neighbors had a 62 Crown Imperial, too bad it finally wound up in the junkyard. Neat cars.

11. ok, here's my take. two years ago, i was working and living in a different city. i was making really good money, and i was doing a job i loved to to. things were actually fine until my first son came along. i realized that although i felt i had it good, what would i be able to do for my son later down the road. here i was making good money, but my boss is the guy with the new house, 2 new cars, eating out every night...etc. i wasn't. i was paying off loans, bills, and trying to save to afford a house. but i really wasn't happy working for someone else. after all, he's getting the credit for my work. he's making money off of my back. i wasn't gonna get pimped out like that anymore.
    so here's what i did.
    i sold off my most prized posession...my 1949 vw. actually that was just part of what i did, really i sold off everything. all my parts, my cars, anything to get some money together. i rounded up my family and we moved.
    i sacrificed everything we had to open my little shop here. it's just me and my dad, putting in custom interiors, and the occasional radio. we went from a nobody store to having three cars with our interiors at SEMA in vegas this year. the pay has been ok so far, not the millions i had hoped for, we live on an extremely tight budget, but i know that in a year or two, all of my family's dreams will be realized. my wife will get the house she wants, i'll buy an old car to tinker with. i'll be able to provide a good future for my son and his soon to be here (dec.25th) little brother.
    but when i boil it all down, the most important part is that after working for other people and things just being a day in day out job, now i'm working for myself, and this has become a labor of love. i'm truly happy. i work ten times harder than i ever did, but i love it. everything i do is for me and my family. it was he smartest decision i have ever made.
    mabye this will inspire you, mabye it will frighten you. i just think that, when it comes down to the end of the day, you have to be happy in life. if you're not, then change it. it really is that easy.

12. Muttley

Muttley

[ QUOTE ]
    My wife will get the hose she wants

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Mass Butcher

Mass Butcher

Freudian slip. [​IMG]
    The house too!

14. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

These are the posts I pay the most attention to

you should change the title to:

TECH - Life

15. DrJ

DrJ

on;
    Girlfriend...there's lots of them around, get a "good one" this time.
    House... if the market's up there like it is here it's right time to sell.
    new career...make it something you will love doing, not just "for the money" otherwise stick with what you already know, cept become a "consultant" when the carpet gets pulled.

Car... HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR IT???? [​IMG]

16. james

james

Pete=- That damn near brought a tear to my eye. I'm 32 and starting to feel my mortality. Tiny--Really think about what you want, and what it'll take to get there. Life is short- REAL SHORT. My wife just went through a scare (doctor had thought a possible anurism, but after a serious of MRI, catscan, etc, they found nothing.) Set some priorities and stick to them. If you want to work less, do it. FInd a cheaper place to live, smaller house, whatever. Whatever you do, don't go into debt if you can avoid it. IF you want to work for yourself, do it, just do your homework first.

17. beatnik

beatnik

Tiny, don't worry about the things you have no control over.

Relationships will come and go, mutual or not it's still gona hurt, we all get over it, time heels all.

Work could let you go at any time, we go through corporate "Rightsizing" at least once a year, be prepared, but don't get an ulser over it. I decided if I have to roll my toolbox back into a garage, work at the local car wash or ask if they want fries with that, then so fucking be it, I ain't to proud to do anything I have to to pay the bills.

I use to worry about that stuff all the time but life is to short. I've got a friend here at work who's going through some shit and getting chemotherapy, and every time we talk or I see him I'm reminded of how insignificant losing my job hear really is.

Gus

18. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

Thanks everyone.. it really means a lot to me that so many of you put so much thought and time into your responses. I'll say it again.. this place is great. The people are great.. this is a lot of food for thought for me, at point where I'm being reflective.. which doesn't come around all that often. I suppose one needs to look inside to really see themselves..

Ryan- Thanks for letting the post stay! Elvis does rule.. even if he's tiny!

Car's not for sale.. YET.. then again, everything is for sale for the right price I guess!

Looking forward to more input if you have it.. I'll be printing this post out for my own reference and re-reading, and PJ thanks for the marble story.. way cool.

Jim

19. My Basset Hound's name is Tinyelvis... Elvis for short, get it short! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's all I can contribute.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

You know, satisfaction is highly underrated. I have worked in bicycle retail and wholesale for the last 13 years. Retail sucks, everybody knows that, and the hours are long and you're underpaid, blah, blah, blah. The thing is, unless you have a serious stake in it, you'll never be satisified. The boss I have now, one of the owners, is great. He gets it. He invests his life in it, and the business thrives because of it. But I don't have the same passion, becuse I have nothing at stake, except my job. Sometimes you have to take a risk to feel satisfied, a sense of purpose. So, at 35 years old, I finally get my opportunity to take a risk. Work less, make less money, and spend lots of time and money on school. I am actually busier now than ever, but it's worth it. I'm out there in it. Taking a chance.

Now, I don't know what the right thing for you is. You may Take A Chance and stay put, or sell everything and start over, or add something. Whatever it is, find the passion, the one thing that makes it worth it.

21. MikeO

MikeO
    from MI

I love my job well not being a manager but the HAMB is much faster here and I get paid for it [​IMG]

22. byrd

byrd

wow! i am very impressed with the insight and answers that were given! and from guys!!!

i feel the same as far as careers go..i too am a little older and have been doing the same for 8-9 yrs now. i feel like sometimes i have out grown what i do, but i cant see myself doing anything else...yes school is always an option, learn something new, start your career choice over...if you think it will make you happy, then do it. but like someone said, do the research first before leaving your current job. good luck..i think everyone goes through this at our age.

23. Is being truly happy a full time gig, or should we just enjoy it in the short burst we get. Thats my delima.

And if you really want to change your life do in no while you're still young. Trust me.

24. slammed

slammed

Hang loose tiny. Fresh break-up, plenty of pain to wear away. If you drink....don't. Let it take it go naturally. Save booze for sprained ankle's, tooth ache, ect. Mabe taking up something 'new' : Kick boxing, Karate, weight training, ect., to give the mind and body new challange's. The reward will last a lfetime. Petejoe, Paul Harvey could not have done a better job. Anyone over 35, or really paying attention, Has to have been affected by that story.

25. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

Go get your nails done, you metrosexual [​IMG] [​IMG]

It always makes me feel better [​IMG]

26. Nice timing TE. I've been thinking about this a LOT lately.

In 1994 I quit my job on my 29th birthday, sold everything I owned, put my house up for rent and bought a 'circle Pacific' ticket. Flew to Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia and turned 30 in New Zealand. BEST damn thing I have ever done!

Now I'm at another crossroads, just turned 39 and I'm getting the urge again... [​IMG] I'm also thinking that 18 years in the same career might be enough. I always wanted to be a stunt driver... [​IMG]

Life's either a daring adventure or nothing.

Cherryblossom, around here it's retrosexual isn't it? [​IMG]

27. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

PJ-that was an excellent story, and being 35, made me think alot.

I've been at GE for 10yrs, live with the constant threat of our plant closing.
    I've thought many times of what would I do if it does? I've thought of a couple different businesses I might start up, or what career path may be best for me.

Truth be told, I don't have the courage to walk away right now, while it's still there. Mostly because we're grossly over-paid, and I feel I've got to take their money as long as I can.
    My wife doesn't work, because I'd rather her be here for my kids(8&11)all the time. It's something I didn't have growing up, and is important to me for my kids.

As far as you're situation, only you know what's best. If it's in your heart to walk away, and start fresh, then go for it. Just take their money while you get your ducks in a row, plan it out and go!

Good luck.

28. Scotch

Scotch

Good stuff here...I hope I can add to it..

After joining the military at 17, getting out at 21 (I was an airplane mechanic) and getting a job at an airplane factory (douglas in Long Beach), it looked like I was set for life. After 4+ years at douglas, I got laid off. 8 years of aerospace experience and no more work in the field. Luckily for me, I was 25 and had time to recover.

The only other skill I had was building engines. It'd always been a hobby, but now I needed to put this knowledge to work, or go hungry.

I walked into every performance engine shop I could find in the phone book, and kept getting turned away. No work experience, no job. Didn't matter about the aerospace experience...this is race engine building and that's what we need to see.

Finally, one shop said they could use an "entry level" guy. Great. I went from making near 50K/yr. to taking dirty engines apart and inspecting worn parts for 10 bucks an hour.

But...I loved it. I was good at it, and I got better at it.

Soon, I was doing heads, valve jobs, assembly work...setting engines up on the dyno and learning how to tune them. Sure, the money still sucked, but I was having a ball. Besides..I like top ramen.

Then, another shoe dropped. The shop owner came in one day- said the whole shop was moving to N. Carolina to do NASCAR stuff. See ya...

I got a good recommendation and got into another race shop. This one was different...not V-8s but 10,000 rpm 4-bangers and endurance engines for Toyota Atlantic. We did experimental research for WSC and some other cool factory stuff. Dan Gurney would stop by. So would Hans Hermann. Pretty cool.

I was now stepping up to assembly work...more dyno work...and still doing heads and carb rebuilds. They said they wanted to keep me on, but I'd have to take a cut in pay. I packed my toolbox up and split. Too bad.

Next shop..offshore boat racing engines...APBA record holders...major marine race shop. I learned all about big-inch strokers (to over 600 ci) and blowers, EFI, and more. Really cool..for about 2 years. Then, they had to let me go. I was messed up over a girl, and it showed. My work suffered. It was bad.

I was lost. 2 careers I was good at and no work. Alone on the West Coast...my family in NY, and the ex took all "our" friends..I had 1,200 bucks to my name, and no idea what to do.

I got a room from a Pennysaver ad and chose to do my best to make it. I got a lead on a job from a guy at a bar..they were looking for someone to write a manual on a new diesel engine for Isuzu. Whatever. I'll take it. I couldn't even type.

I kicked its ass so hard their heads spun. Never seen work so solid. They hired me full-time on the spot when I was done.

I wrote Service Manuals, designed training courses, and developed labor/time guides for the next couple years. Still not making much cash, but it's a steady car gig and I'm learning about factory EFI, ABS, and other shit I didn't know. Went to India, Korea, and all over the States teaching people stuff. Pretty cool...but I wanted a bit more cash...

..so I went to the magazine publishers offices, and offered my services as a freelance tech writer. I know about racing engines..I know about new cars...I can type now...

They hired me on full-time as tech editor for a national mag. Now, 7 years later, I'm 37 and I just got married (for the first time). I just gave them my 2-week notice and I've got one week left to go. I got a better offer in Minneapolis and I'm taking it...starting over once again...as the Editor of my own car mag. I still play with cars, but it's not like fixing other people's filthy shit. It's better. Cleaner. Meaner. I work with only the best people at what they do and I learn SO much from them. It rules...but the new gig pays more and real estate is kinder up in MN..I'll be able to be a good husband and a good Dad when we have kids. I'll be able to make my dreams come true...again.

Listen...Everytime I was down and shit hit the fan, I took a chance..I bet on ME because I was the only one I knew who would NEVER let me down. I gambled on my own abilities because I knew I could do it.

Take the chance. Trust in your own abilities, and realize failure is not an option. If it ain't workin, fix it. Do what you must..but I promise you...

No price is higher than regret. What will you regret more: leaving, or not leaving? That will answer your question for you.

I say go for the gusto Elvis. No one can change your life more than you can, and besides..who else would you rather trust?

Scotch~!

29. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Dude.......you're doing OK. When I was 28, the most important thing in MY life was tracking down a set of German racing bearings for the wheels on my longboard.......
    I'm 54 now and STILL haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up????

30. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

I just hate the feeling that in an era when AT&T lays off 45,000 people at a swoop, risks lies not in working for yourself, but in being a disposable resource in corporate america....welcome to life!! But then again, I look at my wife and little boy and realize that it's time to sink or swim....I have goals that I want to achieve but until then I'm going to have to work....hard. If I were in your place the young kid inside of me would be yelling "Run for California!!! start a new religion (do something wild)!!"
    But I would also have a feeling (that's usually right) that running off might not be the best idea. Start over? change your outlook on life, work,and.....love? SURE!! GO FOR IT!!! just have a plan, organize it, don't just drop and leave. But then again I know a lady who went to hawaii for vacation and never came back!! now she works at a resort for less than she was making before, but she's happy.
    WORK TO LIVE....DON'T LIVE TO WORK