Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made a '56 Chevy front fender into an Edsel quarter panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Squablow

Squablow

If anyone is interested, I've got updated pics of the car with fill primer on it. A friend of mine was going to do the bodywork for me, but it didn't work out so I got the car back and finished it myself. It needs a little more work and another coat of fill primer, but overall I like the way it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Really bitchin'!!

Ian

3. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

4. williebill

williebill

Don't know how I missed the original posts,glad you updated them today..Those original pics of the quarters will keep me awake tonight...You done good

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Plus with the chevy sheetmetal in the quarters they won't rust out again. :p Just kidding!! Just kidding!! Nice work on the Edsel! I like it! :cool: Lippy

6. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Pretty Cool , . Nice Job..

7. Nice work Jon!

Max

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Nice work, any pics with the skirts on?

9. nice save! henry would be rolling in his grave if he saw this chevy save your edsel:eek:! you seem to have a gift with the metal.:D

10. vertible59

vertible59

Seems like the Edsel got the last laugh. They are getting more and more popular and draw a crowd of folks who have heard of them, but never seen one. Also noticed older guys standing around them swapping Edsel war stories. You did a great job saving another one. The ingenuity you displayed, making something from nothing, is awesome.

11. Some amazing work there. I sent this thread to the "no one fixes rusty cars" guy. I'm not a big Ford guy but the 59s are one of the better looking designs to begin with.

Seeing that car with the grille all out makes me wonder what a '59 Edsel would look like with the horse collar removed and a plain hood on it, though.

12. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

WOW! I love it! This is the kind of stuff I like to see! I love 2 dr sedans. What shape are you door panels in? I have a pretty cool trick to replicate them on the cheap. Great Work.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice save, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who cuts up scrap sheet metal for patch panels! Keep up the great work.

Brian

14. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Just what the doctor ordered! My '59 Edsel has the exact same type of body rot! Thanks for this info!

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.........way to go. Keep on keepin' on.

16. ems customer service

ems customer service

EDSALS CAME IN SMALL AND BIG BODY, THE SMALL BODY EDSAL IS BASICALLY A FORD 500, ALTHOUGH THE UNIQUE EDSAL STUFF IS MOSTLY ABOVE THE BELTLINE KIND OF,

FOR Any other hambes that have small edsals
    the following parts fit the edsal ( from 57 ford 500)

all floorpans

trunk floor

rocker panels

lower front fender patch

the lower rear 1/4 panels ( front and rear) although the 500 has a slight body line reval around the wheel opening but panels fit ok

just fyi for other edsal guys

the same applies to 57/8 mercs too

Attached Files:

17. Squablow

Squablow

Keep in mind that only the 1958 Edsels came in a small and large series, all '59 Edsels were the same size. '59 Ford quarter patch panels will only fit '59 Edsel wagons, '59 Edsels have a unique rear quarter panel. That's why I had to make the stuff that I did. '58 Ranger/Pacer guys have it a bit easier.

If anyone was wondering why you can clearly see a rear wheelwell shape in the first pic, but it's gone in the second, here's the reason. The wheelwell opening was made of one big chunk of bondo, about 24 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick, and it weighs just under 2 1/2 pounds. It came off in one big piece so I kept it as a souvenir.

It was a piss poor repair, but also somewhat impressive that someone was able to get that much filler to stay in place long enough to set up and stay attatched to the quarter panel.

[​IMG]

18. olds79

olds79

Hi
    Now I found this post, it`s the same shit that I must do on my Edsels, the sides are the same shit with Bondo :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. olds79

olds79

Sorry for doublepost, i Don`t no to do new pics into the post after sending.

This is the actually stand of work. I get the paint of the firewall last week.

Attached Files:

20. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Nice work! Having once owned a '59 Ranger, I'm really glad you saved that one. I would have just looked high and low for better quarters, but that's because my skill level isn't up to snuff. You did one helluva job!

21. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

hey man ur work i good and inventive for low budget...u gave me more hope for my build !

22. Wow, damn glad my Villager isn't rusty. Nice Job.

What is the final color(s) going to be?

23. 61 chevy

61 chevy

good work, glad a chevy could help out

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Great thread, good pics. It's almost 3 years old but this is what the HAMB should be more of and less bitching. Thanks Squawblow, awesome work.

25. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I am pretty impressed with your fortitude and creativity on this one! Well done!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, Drugasm. What the hell is a newer guy/gal supposed to do when he/she finds an older thread? Wait for the bitcher to start a new one? I think Ryan started the HAMB, and he's got Kevin and a lot of talented, dedicated people who monitor the HAMB.

Now, if THEY jumped my butt for "bringing up an OLD thread," that would get my attention, respect and prompt correction/deletion. All the gripers need to scan on to something new that they like. I do believe Ryan and the moderators wish to encourage younger people (meaning, young people in the hobby or on the HAMB) to participate. There's a TON of older stuff people can learn from.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Only took 8 years, but it's got paint on it now, finally! Hopefully will work on some re-assembly soon. IMG_20140523_124140.jpg

28. I am glad i am not the only one. My drivers floor pan came from a 1966 Pontiac hood.lol.Bruce.