Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back from the dead with a build thread! (sorta)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeluxeGal, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

I've been a phantom here for awhile, so I decided I needed to update and show some progress. We have a long way to go, but we just had our first baby in August, so bear with me :)

For those of you who don't know, or who have forgotten, I will try not to go into a ton of details...

I have a 1953 Chevy 210 Grocery Getter.

Found out we had a future gearhead on the way, so wanted to make it a true grocery getter and have a nice family car.

We're in the process of swapping the motor and transmission, which meant switching to an open drive.

We need to fabricate motor mounts, because my car has mounts in the middle, and the motor I'm putting in is from a '55 and the mounts are on the front.

Then there's probably a million small things to do, but those are the major things (at this point) :)

On to the photos I've taken over the past few months:

These are when we pulled the original motor...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank goodness for wheel dollies!
    [​IMG]

There's the original! :)

[​IMG]

Then my dad came over and decided we needed to take the entire front clip off, which we probably should have done in the first place.

[​IMG]

My dad grinding a mount off.
    [​IMG]

Unwrapping the 'new' 235 :)

[​IMG]

This is about as far as we got before we realized we needed to pull the rear end first because the drive shaft was in the way.
    [​IMG]

Getting the rear end out. We got cut short this day because the neighbor yelled at us for making too much noise. Apparently you're not suppose to make any noise at 3pm on a Sunday because the rest of the world is 'taking naps' :) - Which is why we have to work with the garage door shut now.
    [​IMG]

Pain. In. The. Ass.
    [​IMG]

But it's out!
    [​IMG]
    Here's how she's sitting currently. The photo is kinda dark.
    [​IMG]
    The rear end is disconnected, now we just need to put the 'new' one in. We are putting one in from a '57 :) Should be fun! Hopefully I will update soon

~Marissa

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

wb!! and congrats on the youngin! has been along time ...looks like your in the zone though!

3. PoPo

PoPo

3pm is crap for noise, you can do whatever you want until like 10pm here locally.

I love the new project, the last Rodders journal showed a 4 door 53/54 with perfect proportions. it was a drawing of a future project but it was amazing.

keep up the pics and maybe we can see you jumping in to turn a few wrenches (if your not too far along -bellywise).

4. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

What a pain!

5. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

You need to follow the sticker I have in my garage, I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS WHAT MY NEIGHBORS THINK. If they want piece a quiet move to a damn home owners association.

6. Hey, I think I've heard this story before. ;-) WTG Girl, always good to see you and congratulations again!

7. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

LOL this is so funny... mainly because we live in a fucking (pardon the language) home owners association! GAH!

Kill me now.

I want to move back to the country. :( Sooner than later.

8. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Nice to see you here! :)

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Good progress Marissa! Much better progress than I'm making this year...I really gotta come visit you guys sometime soon...

10. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Yeah buddy! Why don't you come visit?! :) Mr. Anti-social!

11. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Just an update. We FINALLY got the 'new' rear end in the car this weekend! (thanks to my dad and greg)

Still need to do some minor adjustments, but it's nice to have it on rolling wheels again (for now) I want to lower it eventually once we take care of the major things.

Anyhoo.. a couple snaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  12. Ruiner

Ruiner

Nice...how much work is left to get it back on the road?

13. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

rear brakes, which I think Greg and I will do Sunday. then I'd like to put discs on the front, since little Ava will be riding in the back 90% of the time. clean out the gas tank and put that back up there. then the big deal is mounting the motor/tranny and figuring that all out.. I have a feeling that tranny isn't going to be a walk in the park.

those are the major things. :)

14. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

keepin the 6! i like it

15. strawberry

strawberry

well first of all ...if you have money for tatooes and wheel dollies..buy some damn safety glass'es..yes glass'es...and find a new neighbor, the old ones don't fit in, lol , dig that chevy keep us posted ,also where I live its still america and I do what I want when I want, and I respect my neighbors , so I don't start no earlier than 5:00 am nor do I end no later than when the cops arrive..so far so good but I'm getting pretty old so I generally knock it off around 11:00 pm..unless 'ol knoxville is on the radio .:)

16. scrape

scrape

"Getting the rear end out. We got cut short this day because the neighbor yelled at us for making too much noise. Apparently you're not suppose to make any noise at 3pm on a Sunday because the rest of the world is 'taking naps' :) - Which is why we have to work with the garage door shut now"

id buy an old junk lawn mower(that runs) and take the mufler off, and then start it up and wire the throttle open and leave it in the front yard runing all day.....
    cant call the cops on some one trying to mow the lawn.... haha....