Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marvel Mystery Oiler???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Aug 1, 2009.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

so I found this cool resevoir with pot metal or aluminium fittings on it that read marvel mystery oiler...

it was rusted to the inner fender of a 53 chevy at a local junk yard.

I had to sacrifice the inner fender to get it out using a poor mans air chisel (hammer and a flat blade screw driver) and a set of red handled tin snips.

so 45 minutes later (did I mention there was a 3/4 ton econoline parked on top of this car???) and a lot of sweat and blood later I emerged victorious!

any one got any info on these things and know how they work?

any info is appreciated.

would like to restore it if possible?:D

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

I think there's one on Ebay right now NOS.. I believe these were used to administer MMO to the carb and intake via vacuum port delivering MMO to the top end. I add MMO to my fuel each time I fill up and also put a little in the earl on my '51 flatty.

3. One was posted here in the last couple weeks.

4. Hi, Just happen to have a NOS Marvel Mystery Oiler in the box, with instructions! I need it for my Judson supercharger I am fitting to my flathead Studebaker 6 cylinder. (Yes, I am a sick puppy)
    Here they are:

Attached Files:

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

judson equipt flat 6!!!

hells yes!

so what do these normaly go for and has anyone actually used one?

thanks!

6. I got mine for $40 dollars at a yard sale. It is aluminum with a glass bottle, yours is much older. I used them on my bugs before, do keep seem to keep things well lubed and cut down on pinging with crappy unleaded when it first came out. (yes, that old)
    The Stude flattie will have a Judson with a side feed stromberg on the back, atop an adapter to an Edmunds dual carb intake, with an Edmunds aluminum head and side plates, petronix ignition, homemade header backed by a 200r automatic or a 5 speed. Have all the parts, just need the time to put it together. I expect to get around 30 miles to the gallon all around with it.

7. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

8. Thanks for the site. I found repo Powered by Judson emblems there. Will look cool on my 53 Stude coupe

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

These were also called top cylinder or top end oilers. The idea was that by sucking in some light oil, like MMO, you would be providing lubrication to the valves. his was kind of important on cars that ran Amoco gas ("white gas") back in the day. Amoco did not have lead. Most engines did not have hardened exhaust calve seats. So the top oil could help these motors go further between valve jobs. At least, that was the theory. Nice score; good period accessory.

10. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

if you got the can off the fender, go back and get the plate out from between the carb base and the intake. You'll need that as well.

11. They also used these on early propane/butane farm tractors to lube the valves because of lack of tetraethyl (sp?) lead. It kept the valves from sucking/wearing thru the non-hardened valve seats. It could help today with unleaded gas in an older engine if used the same way.

12. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

amoco made these "oilers" too and also made the carb adapters to run from the container. You can rig one up if you have the adapter to fit your motor/carb. I have a couple for flatheads but not for other models.

13. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Thanks to flatheadpat i got the one on ebay >20.50<had one backintheday...if i don't use it on my 48chev p/u will use it to hide something somewhere....thanks to thebigdaddyo for posting imfo.......

Attached Files:

14. Glen

Glen

I have a Amoco oiler new in the box. I had it for my olds 324 tri power setup. Neat old stuff.

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn I gotta get back over there and get that spacer before the car gets sent off,
    hell it's aready crushed sitting in a stack!!!

hence the econoline sitting on top of it...

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They were used with the Judon Superchargers on Old VW.s and older cars

17. Paul2748

Paul2748

I think I read on Ford BARN that a similar (glass with a metal holder) one is available new.

18. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

any idea of the year of the one originally posted? the rusty one?
    i have one new in the box too but can't seem to figure out the date it was made

Zach

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Does the box have a barcode on it?

21. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

I had a Farmall M that was designed to run on Kerosene or Distillate (basically corn whiskey?).. had a small gas tank that was used to start it up and then the switch over to "other" fuel. I'll bet that MMO Oiler would have been a good option on one of them.

22. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

I have no idea at all.

I have found a lot of them but none have been the metal ones.
    they have all been glass...

24. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn that is it verbatim!

25. Road Runner

Road Runner