Register now to get rid of these ads!

Greetings everyone, and a new start for an old friend of mine!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 2eyed1940will, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Hey everyone,

My name is Will. I am new to the HAMB. Glad to be here. I drive truck for a living, so time never seems to be on my side. But when I am home I like to take a break from being "fliped-off" all week and venture out to the garage. I have been spending a lot of time on the Jockey Journal seeking advice on an old Harley project of mine, but the wife is kindly reminding me that I am neglecting her favorite project, the car. So, here goes. I have a 1940 Ford coupe (I'll upload photos soon, someone says use "photo-bucket"? Anyway, we'll get it done). I have been told that its an "opera coupe" due to the 2 fold-down jump seats in the rear? Its in its original color, with crusty interior. Later flattie inside. I am wondering which way to go at the moment. The motor runs, no smoke. Body is pretty darn solid except for where rear quarters meet the chasis and that area under truck latch. I have a mess of old speed equipment to slap on. It still is functioning with its mechanical breaks. They seem to work alright. My attitude about the car, and old vehicles in general is "crusty, but safe". This car will never get a $10,000 paint job, nor will it have a leather interior. Just wondering what to do first, and to have the thoughts of people out there in HAMB land.
    Looking foward to meeting you good folks, thanks,
    Will

2. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Hi Will

We'd like to see your 1940 Ford coupe, do you have any pictures yet?

3. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Hey Falcon, thanks for the interest. I was going to venture out to the barn today and move some things around, and bring the coupe out. I have an old Airstream blocking the '40 (or as I think of it, "a poor mans anti-theft device", but its been nothing but non-stop rain here in northern NY/PA and the ground is quite "soupy". All I have is an old Ford 2-wheel drive truck that would bury itself in the muck. As soon as weather permits I'll re shuffle things and drive out the coupe. Now that I am motivated I'll get it done.

4. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

hi there from sweden.
    A truck driver to,never to much time.
    52 chevy truck
    chevyII 66

5. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Welcome from MD. Theres lots of us bike guys here.

6. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Thanks everyone for stoping by to check in. Maybe while I am waiting for things to dry out here I'll yak on a little about the motor. The flattie runs on a single 97 Stromberg. Plain Jane 24 stud heads. I have a set of Fenton headers, and when I put those on I am going to run a dual straight exhaust set-up. I have a bunch of different engine goodies, but am wondering if its alright to mix and match different componets? I love my old Fords, but flatties are not my area of knowledge. Ie. I have an Almquist manifold that would allow me to run 2 Strombergs. There is a Fenton intake with 2 ford carbs in my parts stash. I also have a variety of head options. Have Edmunds, Fenton and Grancors. One better than the other? AS far as durability, functionality? What are you good people running? Also, whats everyone think about mechanical brakes? Keep 'em or switch to juice? I really don't want to get too carried away, I really like working on, and driving things at the same time...doing a little at a time.
    Thanks everyone, Will

7. axe grinder

axe grinder

Welcome aboard Will.................post some pics....let's see what ya working with..

8. It shouldn't have mechanical brakes if it's a '40. '38 was the last year for mechanical brakes.

9. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Oh dear, then something strange is afoot, cause' it does have 'em.

10. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Hey everyone,
    Just getting in the door now after some time driving the truck. Well I am real embarissed, but I am man enough to admit I made a mistake and eat some crow. Before I ran out the door the other day (by the way its still raining here %%#@@#!!). I quickly looked, yup the thing has juice brakes!!! Not mechanical! I think that I know what happened. In the same barn is dad's project, an original '37 coupe. That was the last old Ford that I was working on, and thats pretty darn original, so I think that with my old '40 I naturally assumed.... Well, this crow is delicious!!
    Shows me to jump to conclusions...Thanks 38fordpickup for prompting my search. Hope everyone got more done this week than me.
    Thanks, Will