Register now to get rid of these ads!

Column Shift to Floor Shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jleavesl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I have a 1950 Plymouth with the original transmission, what would it take for me to move the car from the column shift to a floor shift? (Specifically, what shifter do I need).

John

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

PM "LittleWing" on the HAMB and he can help you out !

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Mr Gasket made one through the late 60's. you might luck out and find on on Ebay or at a swap meet but they are few and far between, The three o the tree pattern is similar to other of the era but the motion at the trans was very different, Its a selector style deal.

4. Put a floor shifter in a 53 Plymouth a few years back, Fenton or Foxcraft I think, First was over and up not down,( where reverse should be) second was down not up and third was was up not down. Seemed strange but worked fine.

5. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

That trans is set up the same as early pontiac some buicks chrysler products. They were refered to as selector type shifters. Maybe somebody as old as me has one laying around. steve

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Thats 'her' :D

They had that weird Hi-drive 3 speed,,the issue is the lack of a tailshaft and that big wheel in the way. Never seen one "made" for that trans

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  7. I have one of those shifters. I've had it for 30yrs. stashed in the shop. I only have the shifter no levers or rods. I guess I will have to find a trans so I can muont it and get it working. Maybe I can duplicate it in the future. I will try to get couple of pics this week. Lee

8. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Mopar manual transmissions of that era had one shifter arm shaft through the left side of the case and one through the top, which gave them a different geometry from more common design with both shifter arms on the left side. Aftermarket conversions were available at least until the late 1960s. I remember seeing a Fenton kit and, if I recall correctly, the basic mechanism was like other three-speeds but the mounting brackets and the shapes of the shifter rods were different. You could probably fabricate those with some trial and error or from a picture if someone will provide it. … On the other hand, I would not change it: column-shifters are more unique now, while practically every Honda, Nissan or Toyota has a floor shifter.