Register now to get rid of these ads!

To rim size expert guys i have a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGIADAWG, Aug 9, 2009.

1. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

Right now on my truck the front rim is a 14" and putting a straight edge across the back of the rim and measuring down to the mounted surface it is 3 1/2".

Now i want to go with a 15" rim on the front but where the 14" sits already if i had a bigger rim and in turn a taller tire i think the wheel would rub the fender if i tried making turn.

My question is when ordering a rim do i order one with more backspacing to try and stop it from rubbing? That's my logic and i just want to make sure im not wrong.

2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Why do you want to go with a 15" rim ???

Where will it rub on the inside or outside? and remember your suspension travel when you hit a bump

Maybe a taller or wider tire will give you the look you want ....

3. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

because i want a 15" in rim on the truck

I have enough room in my fenders to stick a 20"rim or more if i wanted so suspension travel is not an issue which is why i didn't ask about suspension travel. When i imagine a 15" rim with a tire on it i am thinking it might rub on the outside of the fender when turning

Attached Files:

4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

If that is the case, you would want to reduce your backspacing maybe to 3", check with the wheel vendor you our using, most measure backspacing from the outside of the bead. not the edge of the outer lip, most wheel vendors like Rally America have a detail on measuring on their web site.

5. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

I have seen the measurment diagram. The question i had was if i want the rim to sit a touch farther in the fender so that it wont be so close to the outer lip of the fender to i want more backspacing or less?

6. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

Suspension travel is always an issue. What happens when you hit a big bump or pothole mid turn?

7. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

Alright opinion guys that can't answer questions this insn't the thread for you. I'm sorry to confuse you enough to focus on details im not concerned with.

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

You want less backspacing !!!!!

9. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

You will want more back spacing. How wide are the 14" rims. The lips on a 7" wheel outside to outside is actually 8" overall. and a 15"X7 will be the same.
    If you want move the wheel in you increase the back spacing. A 7" wheel with
    a 31/2 back you will have 41/2 to the outside. For every 1/2 you add to the backspacing you remove from the outside therefor moving the wheel inward.

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Angliaguy is right, what was I thinking !!!

11. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

Thank you. This is what i was thinking but didn't know for sure.
    I apologize for my aggrevation here but the opinion train has a lot of passengers and i see a difference in a thread asking for an opinion and a thread asking a question.

12. You want more backspacing. Keep in mind, if tire width will be the issue (i.e. a wider tire will rub on the outside of the fender), either run more backspacing to get the outside of the tire away from the outer fender OR run the same width tire you have now (assuming it clears the outer fender) but in a 15" size. Check inner fender clearance too. If you want to fill the wheel opening run a taller tire (higher aspect ratio).

Hope this helps.

Steve

13. Judd

Judd

Watch for drum or caliper clearence also as more back space might rub calipers on disc brake or bind on the drum before the wheel bottoms.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you have a bare rim (no tire) mount it to the drum and then you can see unhindered whether or not increasing back spacing will interfere with the drum/caliper/steering arm, suspension, etc. Even if the bare rim isn't the same back spacing that you now have it's just a matter of a little adding/subtracting to get to where you want to go.

Frank

15. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

mucho thanks guys i think i've got an idea of where i need to go