Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration You can have it if you can get it out: A 2 year struggle for a free Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mudtoe

mudtoe
    from ILL

That is freakin hilarious. Good work, gentlemen.

2. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

What a good story!

3. silent rick

silent rick

i was thinking the same thing too. would have been way easier.

4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

way to go guys !

5. ratster

ratster

thats determanation, cool story... is it going in the essex?

6. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Geez, Guy's, If you guys knew how far he went just to get to this prize, you would be even more impressed. (Presque Isle area if I remember correctly) You go to the end of I 95, then ride two more hours. There used to be a Air Force base there (In Loring) and in the early sixties, the personnel there got extra pay because of the "remoteness"
    Stellar performance, Sammy. (Did ya get to the tri county flag start drags at Winterport?

tc

7. belair

belair

All that work, and the valve covers have 4 big holes in them. Bummer. Congrats on a great find, friend, and adventure.

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thats a story for the books.
    I climbed down a ravine for a chevy starter in the early 80's. (cheap bastard) and thought I was cool, But YOU sir, are cool.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks again, guys. Never served at Fort Bragg. As far as where this engine is going ... well, I had my heart set on putting that Hudson 308 I got into my Essex, but now that this Hemi is sitting in the garage next to that 308 ... I got to tell you it's mighty tempting. It will probably cost 2 or 3 times as much to build, but you can't beat an old Hemi, especially in a hoodless fenderless hot rod. The good news is that speed parts are becoming a little more readily available, so depending on the condition of the internals, I'm thinking this might be my new cash cow.

I had considered taking it apart in pieces, but I guess we thought we were up to the task of taking it out ... who knew that a 680 some-odd pound long block weighed so much? It was a lot of work, but now that the bruises are healing and my back is starting to feel normal again, I'm glad we fought the good fight.

Steve is pushing hard to have me use the Hemi for my build ... I figured he more than earned the right to have some sway in the way my Essex is built. ;)

Stepsideclyde - Yeah, you know where Presque Isle is, and this was a good 30 miles past that. I have been so busy getting power out to the garage and working on the house that I have done very little in the way of making any local events. I'm bummed that I missed the drags in Winterport.

10. It came to my attention you #1 did not have an official EPA permit to remove an engine that may have had some oil in it. #2 Cut down trees/ logging without a permit. #3 Slapped mosquitoes that are on an endangered species list......"Boy you in a 'heep of trouble"..............(remember the old Dodge commercials in the late 60's/early 70's)

11. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I have to agree. THAT is hot rodding!!! Great story and good luck with the old elephant

12. whid

whid

good story,i hope its salvagable.and you're a lucky guy ,everybody needs a "Steve"................dave

13. RAY With

RAY With

Just shows you that where there is a will there is a way and when a HAMBER is on it's ass consider victory is the only option . Great venture

14. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Killer story. I love this recovery stuff. You've got an awesome friend there, I have a hard time finding people to help me push my car into the garage, much less drag a Hemi through the woods. BTW, nice writing.

15. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

"There I was, breathing hard, bleeding and filthy, reeking of bug dope and b.o., next to a good friend who was as sore and tired as I was."

Sounds like you found more than just a Hemi. :D]\

16. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

This is so much more interesting and relevant than finding the same engine on craigslist or the like. It's worth the battle scars to do something like this, if only every so often. The feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment cannot be duplicated any other way. I hope the engine is rebuildable, hearing it roar would be the perfect end to the oddysey.

-KK

17. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Having spent some time in the Maine woods in both summer and winter, I really appreciated what was involved in this adventure. In the summer the mosquitoes are HUGE and in the humidity about 100%. In the winter the wind starts at Newfoundland and stops when it hits you. It is one of the few places in the country a Hemi that complete would have still been in that car. Great job.

18. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

tuff call, hemi or 308. but since you have a hemi, its kind of a no brainer. im considering a 308 for my essex.

19. utahdodge

utahdodge

I enjoyed your story. I have a similar task in front of me. It's not back in the woods, but it sits on the bank of a river, just feet from the water and on a good slope. Maybe I'll use some of your ideas to get mine out. It's been submerged so I really doubt it's internals are any good, but it'll be a good before-after story if I can rebuild it.

Attached Files:

20. If the oil is still in the engine as opposed to spilled on the ground, it's good for the engine and the environment.:D

21. Just came across this thread....Well done man...well done!!

I can appreciate your hard work and determination...like my friend and neighbour and I say, "We can do anything as long as we're 2% smarter then it!!" And believe me it's been close a few times.;):D

22. greaser

greaser

Great story, man. Very well written. A friend like Steve will hang with you through thick and thin.
    Us old guys reflect back on similar past experiences and just smile. You're right...This is what it's all about!

23. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Very cool man!

I'm jealous, not of the engine (okay, partially because of the engine) but because of that experience. I have never found anything worthwhile in the woods here!

24. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

I was reading your thread yesterday and your story inspired me. I have been debating about buying a car for several weeks, but always had some excuse in my head. I logged off my computer, picked up the phone and called the owner and made the deal. Thanks for your tale. It gave me the kick in the seat I needed to see that anything can be accomplished if you want it bad enough. Hopefully we will both find fulfillment in our new projects. Good luck and thank you.

25. Gigantor

Gigantor

Hah! No shit. Whatever it takes. I'm glad something else good came through the tale. Let us know what you do SteppingOut.

26. thats good stuff! *Ideas that float between the genius and madness* is the only thing that comes to mind. what are you going to put the motor in?

-Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other-

27. thats good stuff! Ideas that float between the genius and madness comes to mind. what are you going to put the motor in?

-Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other-

28. wallace

wallace

Great story cant relate to the struggle but can to the friend I have three awsome friends that will do anything it seems like one of us always has a project and we are always there for each other. Good friends are hard to find and you seem like you got one.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gigantor, YOU are either a masochistic glutton for punishment (watches lots of of Quentin Tarantino movies) . . .

OR . . . you rae my lost twin brother lost at birth when the Gypsies stole him (Maine Gypsies, as I recall!) Hmmmmmmmmm!

SERIOUSLY, I need to STUDY how the HELL (!!!) you finaly managed this! I'm trying to get my '38 out of a low (and WET) spot before COLD weather sets back in again. I need to move it 30 miles, BUT I FIRST have to make it move 20 yards!!! LOL

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I've been looking a LONG time at a '47 DeSoto club coupe, SO far back in the woods NObody else knows! I think YO hvae given me the steel of WILL to wrench this suck out of there!