Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have a tire question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33_chevy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I am thinking about running www cheater slicks on my car which are radials and i have a pair of new bias-ply tires white walls for the front.Is there any reason why this set up will not work..any info would would greatly be appreciated

2. RAY With

RAY With

I was always told they wont work together but I tried it long ago without problems so who knows? Its a round tire and goes around and if all 4 turn I would think your in business. I run all bias on one car and Radials on another and have no reason to try it again but it did work for me at one time.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Opinions will vary on this. Drive carefully, and be aware that mixes of bias ply and radial tires can sometimes generate unexpected handling characteristics.

Probably worth at try, but keep some money budgeted to replace the fronts with radials as well.

4. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Thanks for the info

5. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i think the problem is that the radials get a more firm grip on the road but u wont have to worry about that with slicks especially in the rain

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i think it is just something the tire MFG's say because it like a dis-claimer
    Ive seen it on many cars..cheaters out back and radials -front runners up front.
    I dont know if you can do the reverse thing or not?
    worth a try aint it?

I did it on an O/T 68 charger when i was a poor kid, and im still here to talk about it.

I was going to do it on my A, but I ran across a great deal on a full set of radials for about the price of one cheater slick (you can guess I jumped at that deal)

Its a hot rod..drive it like one..and i dont think you will be disapointed.
    I dont think it will land you in the hospital

Have a good friend that ran em like that on a 427 powered T bucket

and he drove the snot out of it..never bothered him one bit

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

When radials were a new thing, I remember them recomending if you had to run a mixed set,run the radials on the rear.

8. You will be fine tons of us including Ryan have run capped radial cheaters and bias plies up front.

9. rtp

rtp

Dont Mix them on the same axle. If you do that on the front and you hit the brakes hard it will brake your wrist ask me later how I know.
    rtp

10. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

yes, running one type together on the same axle is fine.....

11. My only concern would be the handling characteristics of the Bias ply tires. I had bias plys on my 50 and it really picked up the differance in the places were they stop one paving operation and start another... especially when it was wet. I will never run bias plys again on that car.

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

it'll work fine. just do it.

13. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Thanks for all the input,i went ahead and mounted the bias fronts today and wating for the cheaters to show up in the mail..

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just don't drive on rainy days.

15. Swifster

Swifster

X2 but I think you'll end up getting radials for the front.

16. GaDOC

GaDOC
    from Harlem Ga

My friend and I are both running towel city cheater slicks and bias ply tires in the front. Neither he nor I have had any problem. I have 29x8 fully grooved and he has 30x10 3 grooved slicks and have had no problems. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The recommendation going around was always to never mix them...on the same axle!