Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods small block chevy or 351 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 rattrap, Aug 7, 2009.

?
  1. sbc

100 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. 351

130 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Chevrolet all the way...

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sounds like if I were in this situation I'd go with the 351. Like you said it's already been rebuilt. The SBC probably is "more" traditional, but it's not like the Ford would be impossible. It depends on what era you're going for.

As for the aesthetics of the motors: who cares if it's pretty? It's a motor- not a prom dress. I'd be thinking performance over looks, but to each his own.

It all depends on what you want. The 351 is already rebuilt, so there's that money. The SBC needs to be rebuilt, that's more money you'd have to put in it. In the long run though, depending on how much you build the motor up the SBC might be cheaper in the long run.

3. The 351, with a 2x4 intake, Cal Custom valve covers, and an early type dizzy cab. Put a 5 speed behind it.

4. gorilla

gorilla
    from Idaho

+1 on that

5. teddyp

teddyp

sbc all the way if it was a y-block i,d have to think about it

6. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Everyone and their brother's sister seems to have a small block Chevy with a chrome kit from either the Auto Zoner or Prep Boys.

7. ole rodder

ole rodder
    from Western US

I vote for the 351. "Belly Button" motors are cheap, easy to rebuild and you buy go fast parts at your local drug store.
    With that said, Ford's have never been cheap to build.........Are They Chopped Coupe!, but give me the $$ that John has spent on his blown flathead and I could build a 650hp stroked 351 that would make that Model A fly and still run all day on unleaded and stay cool in traffic.
    It just depends on how much money you have.
    If the motor has been rebuilt by a good builder then put it in and start driving.

8. evilone0528

evilone0528

SBC all day and then some.JMO

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Ford in a Ford... that's why I'm putting an Olds in my Olds... :cool:

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my 351 Windsor...in my Bronco. The 351 will take up more space, not look as early as you may like, bring enough $$$ to rebuild and dress the SBC if ya sold it, might not make the same power and will only satisfy the ongoing ill-gotten mindset of 'Ford in a Ford'. The most famous OHV V-8 in history beongs in a Model A.

11. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Kinda answered your own question, huh?

Hell, may as well pick up a free LA block, rebuild it and run a Mopar.

Makes about as much sense of rebuilding your SBC instead of running your rebuilt 351.

12. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Not a whole lot of 351 Y-Blocks out there though...but might make a good conversation piece!

13. ++! look at the 351W built by Bob Lathrop for Engine Masters. 536HP on pump gas. you should hear that bad mofo! http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hotnews/0804phr_bob_lathrops_modest_351_windsor/index.html
    I know Bob personally, he built my FE 390. Great guy. yes it's an OT car but just wanted to check in on the idea that a Windsor can't go fast.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  14. 29 rattrap

29 rattrap
    from New York

theres alot to think about but im leaning more towards the 351

15. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

don't do it!!!!

16. wutihad

wutihad

Do whichever gets you down the road putting miles on. I'd rather be sitting behind my Ford motor in my 32 chev than watching everybody drive by while I miss out.

17. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

Ford, everybody and their uncle puts a sbc in everything. I wish they would run out of those damn things. Not really but please be different and use the ford.

18. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

19. teddyp

teddyp

a y-block is a 272,292, or a 312 those are the ford motors that i was talking about

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Strange...

Looking at the Poll, the 351 is way ahead

Looking at what people are driving its more Chevys

So what does that mean?

I guess if you want to please the vocal minority you use the Ford, and if you want to please the less vocal majority you choose the Chevy.

Or you could do the only that makes any sense, and make up your own mind.

And I feel I can say these things because I have a ( Blown ) version of each, in my own cars...

Zagato 620.jpg

'28 Roadster 001.jpg

21. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

With regards to the original post...your comment was?

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 351 is such an under rated motor. My daily had a 351C, 496 rwhp and was a joy to drive, didnt have any bad habits and didnt cost the world to build.
    It WILL cost more than a chebby but its a Ford so who cares!!

Doc.

23. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Blue Oval all the way.

24. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

The Cleveland didn't get the run at it in the US like it did in Austrailia/New Zealand, only 5 years and after the first 2 they got dogged out with smog gear. And we didn't get the 302C, so we'll buy the heads for a stupid sum of money.

A 400 Ford isn't bad. The 351M is a worthless piece of shit any way you slice it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  25. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i have a 351 w in my 34 ford, it is a driver, my buddies say i can't finish it because it is always in the road, ford in a ford, fird in a chevy, ford in anything,

26. Chevy parts are most interchangable from 1955 to 85 and on a few more years , the thing that sours me with ford is that the guy at parts house will ask is the week of production or month of production , it seems hardly anything from year to year in a ford interchanges, I have a 289 in my 30 coupe and 50 ford coupe both with c4's and it is the hardest trans to find which year did what fit, Like the way the fords run DO NOT like to work on them , give me a chevy for ease of servicing ,,,,,

27. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Go with a Hemi nobody has one :)

28. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Use the ford it has one more cubic inch, so it will put out a bagillion more horse power than the cheby! Just kiddng, but still get the ford. Ford in a ford is better than a cookie cutter chevy!

29. Willy59

Willy59

30. What kind of 351 Ford? I'm a big fan of the Clevland mills.

I'm going to say which ever one makes the most zot. Its all about going fast, if your moving fast enough no one can tell not your not cool.