Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-block in a fat fendered ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblockhead, Jan 25, 2009.

1. yblockhead

yblockhead

Thought id post this up in here, what ive done so far. I think Ive done the swap the easiest way possible with a '60~'64 hydraulic clutch 292 from a truck with a t-98.

the first thing is the front motor mount.. the t-bird or truck timing cover is the best here, as it allows you to fab or buy a mount to the original flathead mounts.

the purchaseable mount is a hurst FM-202, as found on this BB and other places. I fabbed my own, see attached.

With this mount, the passenger side head basically touches the firewall, and the bellhousing just grazes the lip of the firewall as well. Getting it into this position means cutting off about 4 inches back and 2~3 inches deep in the front of the truck rear sump oil pan. This is to clear the front cross member of the stock suspension.

I indexed the motor mount forward about an inch to provide firewall clearance by welding on a angle iron tab.

The next problem, exhaust, i dealt with by using speedway fenderwell headers intended for a '53~'56 f100 truck with a y block. amazingly, they fit pretty well, other than cutting a 10"x10" hole in the inder fenderwell. The orientation of the collectors is such that it looks like you can run the exhaust underneath the running board, etc pretty easy. Ill be updating this with more pics as i get more stuff done. radiator and bellhousing motormounts are next, then installing the trans and modifying the floorpan.

Attached Files:

2. belair

belair

A small block chevy would've been so much easier.:). Looks good. I like my Y-block. They sound goood.

3. yblockhead

yblockhead

meh. small block chevies are for '77 monzas .:p

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

tell that to the gm execs in 55........................

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

your front engine mount won't last with that cutout.looks a little weak.

6. Flea

Flea

That's awesome, I'm thinking about a Y-block in my 39 pickup. I'll be interested to see how this works out.

7. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I think I can hear that sound from here!

BTW if you want to move your water Pump forward, get a T-bird water pump spacer to get more clearance. It will give about 3/4 to 1 " I think. Hafta allow on pulleys too. Tbird parts houses have them.

Keep the faYth, baby.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a 55 Ford with a 272 & Ford O Matic. I also have a 37 Ply pick-up that I am building a beefed-up 292 with 3x2 , so I guess you know my answer ! Y block guys are like flathead guys , you just gotta have one ! :cool:

9. Its tough to beat the sound of a Y-block, nor the look of it. Beautiful engines.

Putting a 292 in my car was as tough as pulling the 239 out, and sliding the 292 in for a direct bolt in swap. Id say it was an easy way to get add 100+HP, and nearly the same in ft/lbs.

This on the otherhand....This is a task. Good luck with it!

10. yblockhead

yblockhead

Huh! I didnt know about the t bird water pump spacer, thats good info. I think I probably wont have problem with bending.. theres still about 3/4 inch of angle iron there, plus all the bracing on whats left of the original truck mount.

I just got the radiator today, a aluminum 22"x 19 Tru-kool. Time to fab some aluminum cushion brackets for that too.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am thinking about going back to a Y block in my 55 sunliner,I was never impressed with the 351-W I put in,I think the 351 is pieced togather with wrong parts but if it has to come apart to make it run better I will build a 292 and use the 351 for another project.

12. Nice job!! I'm gonna put a wicked lil 292 in my 39 coupe...I have a Hurst front motor mount and a bell to go to the orriginal tranny. Should pretty much bolt in!!

13. yblockhead

yblockhead

heres some more pics. I moved the engine forward about an inch vs. the hurst mount, that made the distributor fit pretty well. I fabbed up some bellhousing brackets, ill have pics of that soon. in the mean time the engine is in and mounted,as is the radiator ( a 19" x 22" fits.)
    believe it or not, a 88~95 taurs lower radiator hose fits perfectly between that water pump and the radiator.. nothing like rummaging around at the parts place.

Attached Files:

14. yblockhead

yblockhead

Ive been working on the suspension.. all lowered and etc. next is the transmission. I went fro the 4 speed truck trans to a t-5. alot easier to fit.

Attached Files:

15. yblockhead

yblockhead

a couple more pics of the 1941

Attached Files:

16. BKD

BKD

that is sweet............
    Jim S.

17. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

There was an artical in Yblock Magazine I think last issue or the one before that delt with a swap in the same car. It was pretty tight in the firewall area I know but it worked good. I have 3 trucks with those motors, they all do good.

Michael

18. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Just did a quick read of the posts. T-Birds used side steady rests with their center front and rear mount set ups. Don't know if you are considering using them or not, but they stabilize and take some of the torque of the engine. You may or may not need or have room for them. Just wanted to point that out.