Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slightly OT. Remember Methialade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fast Eddie, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Admins, feel free to delete if its too far off. But its nastalgic
    So im working out in the garage, which happens to be my moms garage. When i end up cutting myself. So i go inside to clean it up. Passing mom so she checks it out. As usual she says, "go put some methialade on it". This is a normal response. Well i do, it burns like hell and i cover it up.

So at work, i have this cut on my arm with red dye around it. People see it and i say, "oh i just put Methialade on it." They all look at me. "you put what on it". No one knows what it is. Ive been putting this stuff on cuts since i can remember. And oh i remember the burn it has. But even people in there 40's dont know what im talking about, im only 26.

Anyone remember this stuff.

2. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Of course! That was some burning stuff! How do you forget that?!
    I still have an acient bottle on the shelf in the medicin cabinet. Haven't used it in decades! Ha

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

3. goshawks00

goshawks00
    from Saline, Mi

Yea or that other stuff ..what was it called Mecurachrome? Had to do a google on that one as the bean is shrinkin"!!
    B.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Merthiolate (Thiomersal) was used as an antiseptic and a perservative in vaccines for decades.

OUCH!

5. They sure took out the sorness if you got it on right away. Try to find it today.

6. butch27

butch27

Oh Shit -that burnt. I liked the macureachrome? better.

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

It did its job too well so they probably banned it

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Both contained Mercury so yes.

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Mecurachrome and methialade stained my elboes and knees from the time I learned to ride a bike till I stopped trying to ride....

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

sodium ethylmercurithiosalicylate, thiomersal... similar to merbromin (Mercurochrome)
    another disodium salt tincture

its actually spelled "merthiolate" as eli lilly's trade name... nasty shit. its about 50% mercury (methylmercury) by weight, and also the preservative many blame (myself included) for autism...

now that we've had a little learning, this one can die

11. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I remember the glass applicator in the lid. There was also some stuff that would leave a purple stain on your skin. Mom never used it as methialade or mecurachrome were her favorites.

12. alchemy

alchemy

When I was a kid my Mom was a nurse, and we never used that stuff. All the other neighborhood Moms did though. Was mine smarter than all the other Moms?

13. Im glad, i guess, to hear other people know the feeling of methialade. Now that i think of it, with mercury and all, probably shouldnt be using it. Oh well. Maybe thats why im bad at math.

14. Still not as tasty as "lead Paint"!!!

15. jetcycles

jetcycles

For some reason I remember it being referred to as. . .monkey blood! Am I crazy, or does anyone else remember this? FWIW, I'm only 28.

16. Ahhh yes. That exqusite sting and day glow red stain. Nostalgia. Shots for Polio and the cast iron needles the dentist used for novacaine.

17. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

You are right, monkey blood. My dad used to keep it in his truck all of the time for any nick or cut. I'm 65. He lived to be 87 and died in a car wreck so I guess the mercury didn't bother him. I used to pour liquid mercury out into my hand and roll it around just to see how it felt. Hasn't bothered me yet.

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My mom never used the stuff either. Wash the dirt out then peroxide and a clean bandage is what I got. I remember seeing kids at school with these weird red stains around their cuts and thinking, wtf? - haha.

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

Merthiolate! Ouch! Half the stuff done to us kids from the 50's is not PC now. Amazing we survived soap in the mouth (oh no, not Lifebuoy!), castor oil treatments, copious amounts of X-radiation (even in the shoe store), chewing our lead-painted and choking-sized toys, drinking tap water, eating red meat every night, riding long distances in the open bed of dad's truck, severe whippings in the woodshed, guns and knives of all kinds, polio, rubella, and copious amounts of second-hand smoke, not to mention unlimited driving privileges at 14, 15, or 16. We seem to be thriving anyway, enough to potentially overwhelm SS, and the longevity thing just keeps climbing, middle age is a lot higher now than it was back then. My Dad used to tell us boys that if we survived our teen years we would be fully-qualified adults.

20. That puple stuff was call protoziden(sp) if I remember correctly. It was harder to wear off than POR15

21. SASROD

SASROD

OOOOW!!!:eek: "BLOW, MAMMA, BLOW!!!!"

22. chuckbob

chuckbob

Remember, What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger. This is why those of us who had to endure this stuff, wonder why our kids whined so much when we treated them with Neosporin. :D

23. We upgraded to the hair dryer on cool for bigger jobs.

24. belair

belair

Liquid fire, the imfamous MONKEY BLOOD. Wore it like a medal.

25. I was always told, "It burns means its working".

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Bactine was another fire starter.

Mecurachrome was Pops fav, still cringe when I think about it!

27. My mom liked spray Bactine.

28. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Monkey blood ,must be a southern thing ?

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for small cuts and abrasions we got iodine, gauze and tape
    for larger cuts and abrasions we got larger doses of the same

after one encounter with a broken pop bottle
    I had to go to school with a bandage on my knee
    the size of a catcher's mitt

30. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

It has been years,,,

as soon as I started reading this thread I started having vivid memories of the "smell".

I can even still remember what my 39 smelled like when I got it 30 years ago... vividly. I was so stoked about the car that the mixture of smells between rotting upholstery and mouse shit did not smell "bad" per-se... (I had never heard of that lethal mouse shit virus...)

Funny how we remember things.... :D