Register now to get rid of these ads!

KCIR Nostalgia Nationals

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Ron Golden, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

I'm starting this thread to see who plans to come to Kansas City for the 3 day Nostalgia Nationals, September 11,12,13. Last year KCIR let the HAGR cars in free for the entire weekend and set aside an area for us to pit. I'm pretty sure I can make the same arrangements this year IF I can guarantee the cars will be there.

For those that didn't attend the event last fall, you missed some excellent racing, and the drag strip was completely full of some of the most beautiful old gassers, dragsters, altereds, etc. The cars came from all over the country to race at this event. It was as good as the Nationals at Bowling Green, Ky.

In fact Bob Hindman (Hiney) camped out all weekend at the strip so he could smell the fuel and dream all night about the cars he was camped in the middle of. He even shared his breakfast with Don Garlits one morning.

Those that plan to come for this race please contact me ASAP so I can start the arrangements. KCIR does need a firm commitment.

Ron Golden
    ([email protected])

816-436-6108 (Home any evening or leave a message and return number)

2. bob hindman

bob hindman

The hornet will be there............

Hiney.........

3. 348chevy

348chevy

The Patty Wagon will be there.:D Roy

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say i *might* be racing that weekend... ;)

5. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I've heard it's good as of now we are going to bring the Jr Fuel car and do a little 8.00 index racin.

6. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Ron

7. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

I need the names of the HA/GR guys that will be here for the Nostailgia Nationals so I can let the KCIR owners know. I'm sure they will let us in free again this year and we'll run exhibitation. Last year they let the car and 2 people in free for the entire weekend. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks, Ron

Roy Merritt and Patty
    Bob Hindman
    Dwight McGowan and myself

8. mtcray

mtcray

Tom Crays C-Gas 41 Willy's coupe will be there along w/ alot of other "Geezer Gasser" guys! See ya there!

Mike Cray

9. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Can we get a report on the KCIR wkend? Would be appreciated!!!

10. 348chevy

348chevy

2B there was only 3 of us there. Ron, Dwight and crew, Bob Hindman and crew and me. There was supposed to be at least one more but it was a no show. WE got timed runs on Friday but the rest were flagged runs by a flagman. I went 11.62 but I'm not sure what Bob and Dwight went. Saturday I richened up the carbs and the car felt faster but I won't know until friday whether it helped. Heiny has the Hornet really buzzing, I know he pulled a 1.60 60 foot time. His car really hooks and the front end lifts up and he really comes out hard. He beat Dwight and I beat Dwight 3 days in a row. Dwight and Ron's car is not shifting well and I think he took out the clutch on the last run on Sunday. I'm sure that Heiny will be in the mid 11's soon. The car really has come alive. I think as down as Dwight was that a powerglide is in the works. They are not having any fun with that gearbox. The track used us and the Gezzer Gassers as a show for the crowd with a flagman so we got no times just like the street racing days, you only know the winner not any times. We will be racing at Tulsa with the regular SDRA program this friday. It was fun but I would have liked to have times. :) Roy

11. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Only three cars but you put on a good show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bobw

bobw

NICE pics! Thanks for posting.

13. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Roy how many runs did make each day and did the cars the draw much attention, looks like patty cake will run a mid 11 just about any where i love it l j

14. ScottV

ScottV

Awesome !!! How about a who's who/info on these cars for those of us whom don't know (probably just me !?!:p)

This event has my interest as it is probably the closest venue for these type of cars to me.

Thanks, ScottV

15. 348chevy

348chevy

WE ran twice on friday, 4 times on Saturday and once on Sunday. Sunday was a wrap up day Everyone was loading up and the Fuelers were putting on a show for the crowd. I was up looking at some pictures near the grand stand when I looked up and the Gassers were staging with Dwight and Heiny right behind I took off at a dead run down to were the cars were parked and put my fire suit on with all the gear. Started up the Patty Wagon and took off quite a bit over the 10 mph speed limit and got there just as the last gassers were going off. I didn't even shut it off just pulled up did my burn out and took off. THat was a great tax on these 70 year old lungs.:D Roy

16. 348chevy

348chevy

Couple of things I want to add. 2B I really want to thank you for giving me that address for the generator. I got it Thursday night took to KC and it made it so I could keep the waterpump and fan going after shutting off the engine. It also provided lights for Fri and Sat nights and made coffee every morning. Heiny made breakfast Sat and melt in your mouth fall off the bone chicken Sat night. He would have women flocking to him if he wasn't so crotchity. :D Roy P.S. somebody asked if we generated any interest the answer is yes. We had crowds around the cars and lots of pictures were taken. Heiny was always talking to someone and I did my share of explaining the cars. We had two parade laps back up the track after the runs and it really does the heart good to have people clapping and yelling with lots of thumbs up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  17. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

I was in the stands quite a bit off/on Saturday and I would say that with the exception of the vintage Nitro Funnys (which may be to coolest cars on the planet) I would have to say that the HA/GR cars probably drew more interest from the crowd than anything else. The flagman deal was a flop, at least on the first go round because the drivers weren't given a heads up on what was going on and some weren't sure what to do. Anyway a great event with all different kinds of cars; HA/GRs, Nitro Funnys, a Flopper Pinto, Slant Six gas rail, Blown Pontiac-powered '63 Tempest Pro Mod knocked down a 6.95 and all kinds of other good stuff. It should also be noted how many kids and younger families there that were having a good time. The future may not be totally lost after all.

18. Great to hear/see about the weeekends activities, the cars are looking good (even with radials;):D), great to hear about the positive respose they have been generating.

Congrats to all,

Drewfus

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

Cool.:D

So that's Ron's new 4 into 1 header, veerrryyyy interesting.:cool:

20. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Hey ron car looks great . Did you gain horsepower with your 4 in 1 header or did you just move hp and torque up or down over the straight pipes

21. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Thanks. The 4x1 header feels like it doubled the torque below 4000 rpm and the horsepower feels the same. I'd suggest anyone with zoomies build a header for their engine.

Another note: Our car got picked by Don Garlits for a Top 10 Favorite Car of the event from "Big" himself. He came looking for the car Sunday afternoon and presented the plaque.

Damn those Saginaw 3 speeds.

Anyone want to buy a record holding "pure" HA/GR car?

Ron

22. bobw

bobw

What a wonderful and well deserved honor!:) Don is my all-time drag racing hero. If only he wouldn't have perfected the rear engine digger.
    Just today the 4 speed from my car found its way into the storage garage. I wonder what is going in in its place???:D
    Next year I can show up at KCIR and maybe keep up with you guys.

23. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

You serious about selling your car or you got the blues over the saginaw hey that could be a country and western song

24. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

How about "I've got the powerglide blues." Kind of leaning that way myself.

25. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Very serious! With a glide the car will run 11.30's on Coker tires, and 10.90's on better tires. With front suspension like Hiney's it would be even quicker.

Ron

26. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

the saginaw blues the sky is clear ,the stands are full ,jimmy c is a humming and feeling good as he comes to the starting line .takes a deep breath of air and raceing gas,boy that felt good,he was hitting on all six,intake compression,power,exhaust that rumbled down that long collecter, he was sounding good,he gave his personal cheer 1 5 3 6 2 4 who do we appreciate jimmy c thats who. Time to go first light heart beat comes up, second light heart rate up to 3000, green light, hes gone just a whisper of smoke off his coker track shoes heart rate is up to 5500 hundred.time for his old buddy mr. Saginaw to do his job.what whats happened mr saginaw has dropped the ball jimmy c cant belive it as the other guy gets the win light.well ole jimmy c is still humming but its saginaw blues.while jimmy c is a humming hes a looking at his top ten award presented by none other than big daddy himself,not to shabby of a weekend.jimmmy c thinking maybe its time for mr saginaw to retire.

27. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

LOL.....

One way or the other MR. Saginaw is going BYE-BYE this winter.

Ron

28. nexxussian

nexxussian

How hard is it to find a 3 speed toploader that's still salvageable?

Are the parts interchangeable (for the most part) with the 4 speed?

Sorry if this is a hijack.

29. I have two, and know where there are at least four more. (small block v8 and 6cyl)

30. nexxussian

nexxussian