Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Al's Toy Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bucs012, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bucs012

bucs012
    from Iowa

I am looking for a blower engine and came upon this guys site. I google him and not much comes out about him other than his own advertising.

Has anyone bought an engine from him or heard good or bad about them? Site says he's been in business since 1989.

http://www.bigalstoybox.com/

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Big Al's used to alway set up at Carlisle. Usually a bunch of engines ready to go plus the one he'd fire up every half hour or so. :cool: I know there used to be a lot of cars running around using his stuff so it can't be too bad. And, his prices were reasonable. I bought a couple of "blower" carbs from him and the price was ok. Basically rejetted 750 Edelbrocks that were too much for the 350 I was running. He said I could return then w/ no penalty. Fair enough. I ended up selling them to a guy I know and put the 600's back on. Car still runs great. So, I have nothing bad to say about him. Sort of a "no frills" blower motor builder.
    My dealing with him were a few years ago so I don't know how things are now with him. Call him and talk to him. He was very helpful on the phone. Good luck.

3. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Lots of his motors in New England.
    My friend haz a blower motor from him. Never heard a bad thing about Al.
    Pontiac Skim

4. portiadog

portiadog

Very legit shop.

5. Koz

Koz

I put a small block Ford in a '34 for a friend of mine a while back from Big Al's. There were so minor issues with some internal problems. He bent over backwards to make it right. Good Guy.

6. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

known Al for a long time, he will go above and beyond to make the customer happy! if you get the chance, go to his shop. very impressive!

7. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Im from NYC he's not to far from me I see him all the time. Nice guy but from what i "HEAR" not fact his motors are just warmed over old truck motors with a polished old blower bolted to them. And he has a pro mod 34 or 36 chevy that never does very well. Again just what I hear but he does put on a good show with that trailer of his. Call him and ask for referances if he has a problem with that move on.

8. I Drag

I Drag

Very well known in the northeast. That, said, I have never bought anything from him. But I would not hesitate to.

9. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Stand up guy!

10. 5window

5window

He's usually at Carlisle. The motors certainly look good. Why not call and ask him for references then check on the HAMB and see if they're real people?

11. edsel1958

edsel1958
    from tn

:)
    i have a big als enginein my 32 ford and have NOT had one minutes trouble with it. been running it for about 5 or 6 years now. it is the 355 chevy engine.

12. I know some people back east who have dealt with him ,good motor has been run hard for years without any problems

13. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Several friends have gone to him for blower parts and complete kits. I can't speak for his motors but he has always been a stand up dealer with the customers I know.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Al is a great guy, made all his money by hard work, has a real nice shop, nice cars and held a show for "UNFINISHED" cars earlier this year.

15. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

I have ordered parts from him and had great service. There is a guy here in town running one of his engines and highly recommended him but I found a blower myself.

Duke

16. RAY With

RAY With

Bought a BBC with polished blower and when delivered to me the freight company dumped the motor over damaging the left valve cover,head and some valve trane. Sent it back by refusing delivery. Called AL told him the situation and it was all fixed,redynoed ans sent back A-1. Never any issues at all and made more than enough power got a pro street ride.I would use him any time I needed a blower motor or a regular motor.

17. Koz

Koz

I set a Ford 302 motor in a friends '34 coupe that he bought from Al. There were some problems with the motor, (which in hindsight were probably brought on by my friend who shouldn't be working on a Vespa let alone a blower motor, not Al), and he bent over backwards to make it right, including taking the engine back and putting an entire new bottom end in, no cost, no argument, no hassle! Later he took the time from his busy schedule at McCungie to show me the right way to set up a pair of blower carbs, I can't say enough good about someone who would do that. Nice guy too.

18. Big Al is a vender at our Wheels of Time Jamboree on Aug.28, 29 and 30th. He is will liked by all and sells a good blower and engine setup.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

lots of early stafford memories of him firing up blower motors in his trailer at 7am and cracking the throttle!

20. I called him last week and he helped me over the phone with some questions. He was cool. I didn't order anything from him either. He was very helpfull.

21. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

He's not too far from me, lots of local guys have been using him for years and I've never heard anything but good stuff about him and his products.

22. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

I understand that he warrantee's his engines, and the warranty clock doesnt start until you have your car on the road. Just the fact that he will warrantee a blower motor, then gives you the extra time says a lot about the man!!!

gaspumpchas

"just a little deuce coupe with a flathead mill..............."