Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protecting Bare Steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hart Rod, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hart Rod

Hart Rod
    from Syracuse

A Little Help?

I have a new A Frame that is Bare Steel. I need to store it as I accumalate other parts. What can I treat it with to keep it from surface rusting while it sits?

Thanks

2. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I have good luck with GIBBS & Eureka Fluid Film.

3. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

POR15 works good.

4. strawberry

strawberry

I use ospho on everything, depends on no rain, indoors lasts a very long time,

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Paint works good.

6. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Yea, Yea, Gibbs for sure. Will not soak into the metal and give problems with paint down the line.
    A coat of primer would also work.
    Do not use WD40 because it will soak in unlike the Gibbs and then you will play hell with peeling paint down the road.
    www.getgibbs.com

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Yea....you want to do it right? A year or longer? With on chance of rust? Its called Cosmolene...........its a liquid grease thats sprayed on with a solvent sprayer..........onlything guaranteed to work...........military and mfg. folks been doing it for the past 60+ years.........:cool:

8. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Cosmolene is a great protectant, but....., if you are wanting to paint the frame at any point, I would avoid any grease or oil type products because it can be hard (not impossible) to get the surface properly prepped for paint.
    I really can't say enough about Gibbs. I am in no way associated so this is not a pitch. If you ask alot of these guys running bare metal cars and bikes, you will find that they use gibbs to keep the rust at bay.

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

10. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Bought cheap rattle can primer from the hardware store to shoot on mine about a year ago.
    This weekend I am going to blast it back off and primer and paint it, it has held up well but has been inside the shop the whole time while I was putting the Sedan together on top of it.

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

:eek::eek::eek: aaaaaahhhhhh man.....thats just plain wrong!!!!!!! Dude....get that thing together and start prowling the streets with it before gas goes up to 5.99 a gallon!!!!! :cool:

12. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I would prime and paint but LPS#3 will coat like a waxy film - up to 3 months protection outside

13. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Epoxy primer. Why put something on there that you'll only have to remove later on?

14. retromotors

retromotors

I'll also put in a good word for LPS -3, but I've never tried to paint after using it so I dunno 'bout that aspect.

15. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

DX579 from PPG .. Its' a metal prep removes rust and seals the metal for a long time and can be painted over because it has no silicone like WD40 ... WD40 and any type of grease/wax is the absolute worst thing you can put on bare metal that will be painted! A quart of DX579 is $15 and should last a long time.

16. 69fury

69fury

PickleX !!!!!! phosphating that is incredible- converts rust- paint right over it .. google it. I'm buying some in the fall. used on Trucks! tv show- awesome stuff.

17. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Gibbs if you want to leave it bare.

18. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I have used PickleX, it is basically the same as DFX57, but PickleX is $70 a quart compared to $15 quart for DXF579. You can go whatever way you want but for 4 times the money I'd go the old fashon way.

19. Ghost28

Ghost28

How bout just a weldable primer. That way if you have to work on it later, or not. It is still sealed. And you wont have to do a strip afterwards. Just make sure your supplies are compatable...John

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I agree...Save yourself time ..cosmo and gibbs work great..but just bite the bullet and prime it and you'll be done. You can always resand and prime later on if something happens to it outside....which is easier than scrubbing the other stuff off,prepping, and painting later on. Just my opinion.

21. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Another vote for OSPHO. Paid about $7 or $8 for the last quart I bought. Makes a good pre treatment for paint.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One more vote for Gibbs Brand. It's amazing stuff. Go to Roadsters.com and learn about it. The owner of the site is a HAMBer and he also is a sales outlet for Gibbs.

Frank

23. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

OSPHO Or a 50/50 mix of phosphoric acid& distilled water, . PA is available at hd,lowes etc its about 5.00 a gallon.

24. Gibbs is good stuff. Its been on my dad's roadster body for about a year without any real problems. He has to scotch brite it, and use gibbs after it rains sometimes, but its no big deal.

25. 69fury

69fury

good to know! i did notice some sticker shock on the PickelX- I'm a believer in phosphating, nice to hear from someone that's had first hand experience.

26. hotflint

hotflint

Personally I wouldnt use oil on it because you WILL have one heck of a time trying to clean it off when you do go to paint it. I would epoxy prime it then you can at least have it ready to paint

27. Ospho is good, as well as brush on rustoleum (sp). Don't waste your money on POR15. I haven't had good results with it; and yeah, I read the directions to a tee. Rustbullet; however, is an awsome product. I have also heard good input on KBS. KBS is very simmilar to POR15; but seems to have a better rep, and a little different chemical makeup.

28. skullhat

skullhat

if you are gonna paint it, i'd use one of ppg's dp- epoxys.
    i agree with the guys who are sayin, why put something on that you gotta take off.
    never use wd 40 around anything you wanna paint, unless you like hammer-tone finishes

skull

29. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I've got some stuff that is a water based rust inhibitor (don't ask) that sprays on and prevents rust. When ready, wash it off with soap and water. Obviously, you can't leave it outside though, but I was really amazed that a water based solution would prevent rust...but it does. Have had a door down to metal for six months without the least bit of rust coming back. It's marketed by Bill Hirsch and I stock it so if interested, give me a PM.

30. bardahl1

bardahl1

Gibbs

I've got 2 bare bodies in my shop and a frame in a container outside for well over a year, one coat of gibbs every year and there is no sign of rust anywhere.