Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Plymouth brake ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattooedLew, Aug 5, 2009.

1. tattooedLew

tattooedLew
    from Mesa Az

Bought a 53 Plymouth that starts right up.... The only problem is the guy that sold it said the brakes were bad thats why he stopped driving it. Any suggestions on what I should do or what to look at?

2. time_xx

time_xx

1) is there fluid in the reservoir?
    2) leak?
    3) just wore out?

need more info

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Pull all of the drums, check shoes and attaching hardware, evidence of fluid leaks at wheel cylinders, whilst you are at it might as well have shoes relined. Assemble drums/hubs, and work back from each wheel cylinder to the MC. Fill MC with fluid and bleed brakes, look for leaks and proper function of MC. As Janis Joplin said at the end of her rendition of "LORD WON'T YOU BUY ME A MERCEEDES BENZ",

"THAT'S IT"!!

4. time_xx

time_xx

hehehe, Nash is right. I just didn't wanna type all that!

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Or, you go to www,rustyhope.com and buy a disc brake conversion, then swap in a more modern rear axle, a new master, and then you will have brakes that actually work when your done. Probably cheaper the rebuilding the crappy stuff originally on the car.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of the 40s & 50 Mopar brakes. They may have been ahead of their time, but they sure are not up to par with todays brakes. Gene

6. tattooedLew

tattooedLew
    from Mesa Az

Thanks ill let you guys know when i get into it