Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripped.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hey_Pauly, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

So I stripped my first bolt and screw on the truck today. Got me thinking it would bee great if everyone shared thir best ways to remove stripped nuts, bolts, screws, whatever.

2. thendrix

thendrix

Big hammer, little luck!:D

Just kidding. The best ways I know of is an easy out or, if it is big enough that you are comfortable, I would drill it out. I am a machinist so drilling broken bolts doesn't bother me whatever the size. You may also be able to blow through it with a torch if there is nothing behind it.

3. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Search the forum, My Friend, tons of info on removing broken, stripped bolts and studs, and broken screw extractors and E Z outs and..........

4. gold5000000

gold5000000

my go kart's engine bolts, i wanted them to be tight and i guess i didnt know my own strength and stripped the bolt with only a ratchet

5. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

I've heard of this method quite a bit. Does this involve drilling into it to the point that the bolt breaks? Usually I use a small hack saw and some vise grips but it takes time.

6. grossman

grossman

Cut one side of the nut with a cut off wheel then use a straight screwdriver and a hammer to break it.

7. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Do yourself a favor and get a set of grip-tite sockets. Highly recommend them

you can get them at sears for 25.00

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

How did you know I just came back from lowes Stripped a bolt and nut. Seriously take out and replace.Retap helicoil if you have to. Heat ,easyouts. visegrips ,metric sockets ,Pipewrenches

9. MissPrint

MissPrint

Accompanied by a great deal of cursing. . .

10. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Awesome tips everyone.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Reminds me of a kid I had in the shop about 30 years ago.

Me; "How did you break so many of those bolts off?"
    He; "I didn't break them, they just broke."

Later, after demonstrating on one of them;; how to remove.........
    Me; "Did you get the rest of those broke bolts out yet?"
    He; "I tried, I can't."

Much later;
    "Did you get them out yet?"
    "I can't"

Me; "Okay, if you're sure about that; I'll just call up the owner and tell him his airplane is broke, can't be fixed, he can call the salvage yard to pick it up and go buy himself a new one."

.......silence..............

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

As far as bolts go,some times I weld another bolt to the stripped head,if I have the room:)

13. The single most important part of using a ez-out is to drill the hole dead centre, otherwise your in all kinds of shit.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And if you snap off an EZ out, your screwed!

15. Gas wrench, one size fits all.

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Get a set of left handed drill bits. The others advice is good, as well.

17. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Someone should put these tips together into a book!

18. SlamIam

SlamIam

My usual method is cussing, throwing offending wrench far enough to hit something expensive, going to the icebox for something cold, sulking a few minutes, then drilling, penetrating oil, EZ-Out. If EZ-Out breaks off in the bolt, a lot more cussing, using a needlenose to get what's left of the EZ-Out out, then drilling the bolt 90% and re-tapping to get what's left out. Worst experience of my life was replacing a water pump on a Toyota 20R, half the tiny little bolts broke off in the block, never again.

19. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

There are a number of techniques, but it depends on what is stripped, rounded off, broken or stuck, and where it is. No matter what others may advise on here, "gas wrench" does NOT "fit all". Some douche bags may actually try to use a torch to loosen a stuck gas cap or fuel line fitting, etc, but it's a fucking wonder they lived this long. Post a photo of what you are up against, there are a few INTELLIGENT and EXPERIENCED folks on here who will truly help you out.
    :cool:

20. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

weld a good bolt to the tip and extract with wrench, sometimes take cutoff and slice a deep slit in the remainder and get big screwdriver

also use a good penetrate, like zepreserve, or mix 50/50 acetone and ATF for a real good home made recipe