Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-Anybody from Utah??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KJSR, Aug 4, 2009.

1. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

My first real OT post.....So I'm considering a move from SoCal to Utah (just below SLC). I have found the easy stuff like job (transfer), housing and car insurance. My question to you guys is what type smog laws you have and how are the registration fees? For example- my completely OT truck- 09 Ram 2500 4x4- 900.00 to register this year:eek:. I have a varity of cars from 36' to 09'. How does Utah compare? What about any other down sides to Utah vs So Cal? I know we have something to do every weekend but what else? I'm trying to do a overall comparison. Any help would be great and feel free to PM me before they close this thread....wow that would be my first closed thread by the mods:rolleyes:

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I don't think anyone's registration fees are as high as California.

3. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I moved to Utah 9 years ago because of work.I haven't experienced any negative issues.
    There are a lot of car shows on weekends but usually nothing on sundays. Don't forget we have snow. So from about dec thru april you could see snow fall. Maybe you could learn to snowboard or ski. I usually build hotrods over the winter. Good news is they keep the roadways clear.
    The bonneville salt flats are about 90 miles from Salt Lake. There is a multi sport super speedway just outside Salt Lake. Super Bikes,Nascar, Indy type cars run.
    I have several hotrods and run vintage plates on them. Usual inspection stuff and plates cost about 75 to 100 bucks the first time then just a renewal fee each year. I think its $10.00 (no-inspection). My newer cars usually run between 100 to 150 bucks. Smog stuff varies from county to county. Nothing required in my town.
    Hope this helped some.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

This does help, thanks for the info. How bad are the inspections to get through?

5. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Inspections arent too bad to get through, just more of a pain to schedule. all lights have to be working, no cracked glass, tires and brakes need to be in good shape. No emissions around here, but their probably are around SLC. The Tooele racetrack (Miller Motorsports Park) is cool, and bonneville is close.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

inspections are super easy and you dont need no appointment when you get here pm me or get on the utah hamb we try to have beer night every thursday at someones house or shop

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I was actually looking in the Tooele area.....thanks for the info!

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Beer is sold in Utah?:rolleyes: I will be sure to look you guys up if and when I get there. I'm finding more reasons to go than to not to!:)

9. JF

JF
    from Utah

Beer Night? Guess I need to get out more often :) speaking of beer and such Utah just loosened it's liquer laws a bit more. Yeeha.. were getting there!
    Josh

10. bartikus

bartikus

i need to find out more about this beer night. i would like to meet some of the local utah hammers and check out their cars. but utah is great. awsome place to live.

11. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I just got the bill for my 2006 F150 4WD. $156.50. My '67 Uhaul Truck was $395 in California. It's 56.50 in Utah. My '36 FORD is also $56.50 but will be $10 next year because I bought "Vintage Vehicle" plates. I am considering the purchase of beer with my savings. Wayno

12. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

The other part of our club is in SLC... The one thing you have to worry about down there is RUST... that salt is fun, but boy its everywhere. Anyhow... take care... see you guys at Speed Week?

13. locorider

locorider

Tooele has NO EMISSIONS, only safety, safety tests usually cost around $20-$29.... so it can be any year or make, as long as you have a street address in Tooly you have it CAKE.
    $26 to register my 58 this year, $10 bucks if you decide to use a Vintage Plate and wont need safety or emissions if Im correct.

14. pinman 39

pinman 39

Screw the emmissions laws its the liquor laws that will give you fitz.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I may drink less without the Cali issues:D. Thanks to everybody for their input...this place rocks!