Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... On the Bucket List?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Firefly

Firefly

You guys & girls are in for a treat. It is an absolutely AMAZING experience. The sound alone makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Have a blast!

2. I'm sorry to say the Burns Bros. team will not be there this time. We had a cam go flat early this month, then after breaking in another new cam on lighter springs the dyno just didn't show us the HP we need. Engine is coming apart again for the third time and we hope to be there in Oct. Everyone have fun and I will be checking in from here.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I just oiled the underside of the car, changed the oil, bolted on the bike rack (bike is even older than the 55), I'm loading up the tools/camping gear/etc, should be on the road tomorrow!

4. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

The Salt is on my bucket list.. My neighor is leaving friday. He ask me to go but I also have commitments...Watch out for those Tennessee boys..RPM machine shop.

5. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Ill be right with you in the 36...Its time to get to work

6. James Curl

James Curl

An old friend and I did the trip in 2007 in my flathead I/6 4 door 48 Plymouth, 4600 miles total because we went to Hot August Nights the week before Bonneville. Got my Highway 50 book stamped in Fallon Nev. The wife thinks it was my once in a lifetime trip, I'ved got news for her, I am planning now for 2010. Al Cunningham with the blue 29 roadster with the GMC 6 said he is not going this year as his mother turns 90 during speedweek and he wants to be there for the party. Hope to caravan out with his group next year.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bonneville and el Mirage have been on my bucket list for over 25 years.

Next month I'll fulfill my dreams, all be it to a lesser degree than all you guys.

As my girls were born on the 10th and 20th of August, Speed Week is out of the question. :(

So I'm off to the September El mirage meet, and World of Speed during a worldwind 10 day trip to your side of the world:D

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Yeah, Lucky Burton from the Old Crow Speed shop ask me if I was going, even invited me to go with them, I couldnt do it, sometimes life gets in the way, of things.
    So, Bonneville still remains on the Bucket list, until...........

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Next year Chris and I have dibs on riding shotgun in your coupe at least once dude.

10. metal man

metal man

Will definately go eventually. It got more difficult since I'm self employed now (no vacation). Driving in an old car would be most fun , but no way am I taking something I care about as much as my '40 . Many friends have gone and had a lot of damage to their hot rods just from wet salt and dust . Things like switches and fuse panels going to shit months later , not to mention no matter what you do , that stuff goes everywhere and you can't clean it out . Definately wont take a keeper out there , just not worth it in the long run .

11. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I wish I could go this year, but my next trip down probably won't happen till 2011. I need to get the Essex set up so I can drive long distances in it.

I got to experience B'ville for the first and only time in 2002, crewing with the N49 B/STR out of Calgary AB. The Siewerts won't be there this year due to other commitments, but Ted and the gang plan to run again this year. They were close to getting the record in 2007 before they had engine problems. Maybe this year they can get the red hat!

[​IMG]

12. seatex

seatex

Got my plans firmed up today, but with a death knock in the '29, I'm going like a real rodder, on Southwest!
    I know, that is seriously some pussy assed shit for my first trip, but at least I'm going!:rolleyes:

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Been waiting to go there since the 60s.Have not given up yet.Friends with cars Ive built have gone but you know the shoe maker with no shoes story.

14. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I will be there this year for a couple of days. Look forward to catching up.
    Next year the tanker should be there for sure, and hopefully a 1,000 horsepower chopped 54 Chevy we are building for a customer.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

15. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I will be there camping at the bend Friday- Monday.

I'm stoked!!!

16. 1. Welcome Mr Ward, stoked that Ryan has involved yourself, great to see, look forward to more.

2. Bucket list - very much so, have been fortunate to be able to 'tick' the done box, B'ville, Muroc, Lake Gairdner, both as spectator as well as participant, athough, like a disease, you inevitably come away wanting/expecting more, so hope to achieve 'competitor' to the list.

3. B'ville, nothing like it, and whilst I'm a lover of 'our' aussie Lake Gairner event, there's no other place on earth that has the racing history/significance of B'ville.

here's a few of my 'memories'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, and safe travelling to all who are sharing the dream/vision...

Drewfus:)

17. Leaving at midnight tonight....Can't wait to get on the road.

18. I'm going back this year, but alas..........still without my 40. But someday........................

19. power58

power58

leaving friday 10:50 AM. 3RD SpeedWeek. Meeting pals from last year and a guy flying in from London England. Crewing on the 5100 car AA/FGL Ted hopes to go 300 this year, he made Red Hat Last year. Glad to be a small part of it. Bonneville is a MUST do for everyone on the list. See you there.

20. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I'm a salt virgin. Heading out Thursday morning by air. Been wanting to do this for about 40 years. Finally doing it.

21. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

Rolling out friday morning from Socal. Meeting friends, mostly spectating, maybe crewing. Never Been.

22. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Deal

23. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

see ya'll there

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm holding a bag of Salt my daughter scooped up last month, hope to get to return it someday, or put it in the box when I go.

25. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

My Dad and I went there last year, he's almost 70 and it was a first time for both of us. I wish I was going back this year, but we are trying to plan something for next year. Do it....you will not regret it.

26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Leaving 6.30 Thursday morning.....Have driven the Sedan there the last few years, but it`s not mine now....Set a record there in `91 as Crew chief....wish I could ante up enough to do it in a firesuit. 25 year Anniversary this year for me. Commuting from New Zealand for Speed Week got too expensive.....so I moved here....

27. george775

george775
    from Nor Nev

Need additional motivation? Salt conditions are great this year. It will be dry and fast if the wind and weather hold up. Check it out at:

http://www.scta-bni.org/whats_new.html

Bring your sunscreen and lots of ice!

28. Driving up on Saturday, will be on the salt on Sunday. Hope to meet up with some HAMBers.

29. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

We're leaving Thursday morning, got a question, does Pam spray work for the underside of the car or should you use WD40 ?............:D

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha... I was wondering the exact same thing! :)