Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here has Fabricated their own Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pst496, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Great thread. I'm right where some of you guys are too. I want to build my own body too. Somthing unique. These kind of threads really get my creative juices fired up.
    There's some really helpful posts on here.

2. chad

chad

that's just awesome

3. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

[​IMG]

well.. something from nothing..lol.. did a bunch of these..

woodguy

4. There is a demand for repopped Model A quarters, that's why I about fell over when someone posted photos of an A coupe they could have for $800 that had useable quarters on it. The quarters alone can bring that if they're halfway decent.

But you're probably not going to find one in the classified here, you have to actually leave your house and poke around, watch Craigslist, watch Hemmings, watch the local trader paper, go to swap meets... For a while I had three more or less complete Model A's I had less than $1000 in the lot and I got them because they weren't advertised anywhere - I had to go find where they'd been parked 50 years ago and buy them. And that doesn't count the loose pieces I picked up free that gave me about enough to put a 4th one together. But they get harder and harder to find that way.

The answer is to be glad you want an A where you can buy a fairly decent body for under $5000 as opposed to a 32-34 coupe where $5000 will get you something that looks like a giant chewed on it and spit it out.

Now if you want to build from scratch because you want to build from scratch, more power to you. But if you're thinking it will be easier than trying to find one, or cheaper than buying an existing car that needs patch panels, that's just highly unlikely to ever be the case.

5. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Beautiful.:)

6. fenderlessA

fenderlessA
    from canada

looked everywhere for over a year, no one reproduces them. luckilly found a pair on e-bay. If i didn't find them I was thinking of buying a set of roadster 1/4's from Snyder's but would have to cut them up to fit the coupe

7. pst496

pst496

Flatred53, That is exactly what I am looking to do.....but I am afraid I lack the ability to achieve the correct lines and contours with the calibrated eyeball. And with out an example on hand, I'm fear I will go through a lot of unnecessary fabrication to achieve what I want, that is a true to life Model A coupe. It looks as though this is not the first one that you built. Tell us how you started this process? Did you have a car you used as an example? Did you build a buck? Did you have measurements of all the details of your panels? Did you buy the panels?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

8. FASI

FASI

I have the molds for the Model A glassic body, Full floor pan with fenders, 1928-29 style. For sale very reasonable. Make your own fiberglass bodies. PM me only for details.

9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

hey check out mine on the link below. i am about to CAD a few bodies pretty soon ill let you know. but go for it

10. pst496

pst496

Pat, I look for updates from your build weekly. Yes, please let me know when you CAD it up.

11. mikes29

mikes29
    from kentucky

I started with a cowl and grill shell, made everthing else. I scaled it all from a model car kit. This winter I plan on adding doors.

Attached Files:

12. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

no prob. im gonna cad a 28/29coupe 27-28roadster and 28/29 two door sedan 28 29 pickup and roadster pickup. let me know what u need. and just to let you know i use basic tools to do my stuff, cant afford the good stuff yet. i got some big projects ahead keep an eye out

13. Hello pst496

As I wrote the only things from a stock model A is hood cowl tank and some pieces of the front fenders, everything else is hand made of the body. It’s a friend who is the metal wizard, I just a simple mechanic. Here is a link to a 28 sport coup he converted in to a standard coup. We have done a lot of measurements of stock model A.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336485

Lars

Attached Files:

• 28c.jpg
      28c.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
  14. modelamac

modelamac

we started with a rusty 'ol cowl, '29 frame and a dream!!!! hahaha!

we made the back of the cab from scratch, used a 28-29 cowl, sedan doors cut the wind frames off and model a bed cut down. all junk I had laying around.

oh, someone who needed it worse than me.... so I SOLD IT!!!!

Oh well...

been gathering parts... mmmmm 331 Hemi, 7" drop axle, spindle mount halibrands etc.... can yoooou say model a coupe body and I'm set!!!!!

Attached Files:

15. evilone0528

evilone0528

This thread should come in handy.Great links!Thanks guys!

16. pst496

pst496

Hey all, just getting back to this. I need a break from my truck for the moment. A lot of good info here. flathead53, I'll take a look at your link.

17. fitzee

fitzee

Wow! alot of great stuff in this post. don`t know were to start.