Register now to get rid of these ads!

Out in the bush today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bought whats left of this 57 Custom Royal for $25.00! Car was buried under 6 inches of leaves and dirt. Back glass is good as well as most of the trim. Coolest thing was the bucket of old dynamite in the trunk!!!! The guy told me he has more stored around the property but he can,t remember where! Hope to hell I don,t find it......:eek:

Attached Files:

2. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

look like road flares to me...

25 bux is a steal for that much scrap

5. 61bone

61bone

If it really is dynamite, DON'T TOUCH THE CAR OR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Old explosives sweat out the nitroglycerine in it and becomes extremely unstable. Just a little bump could set it off. If you notify the authorities, your car is going to be a hole in the ground and your seller is going to jail. AFT is really touchy about this sort of thing. A few years ago, they blew up our bunker because the dynamite hadn't been turned for two months, plus they took 10 Gs of hard earned money. If you don't notify them, you better say a bunch of hail Marys before you mess with it. Still, no guarantees.

6. Nope...not road flares. The guy works construction building roads running the driller. Told me he sold a guy a doghouse then had to go get a case of dynamite out of it. If you met the guy you would believe it!

7. Kinda like that movie "wages of fear"....

8. screwball

screwball

sounds kinda like an old second city comedy skit.....He blowed up real good!!! yep yep yep he did.

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is da bomb!

Seriously, you need to consider whether it's worth the risk for a $25 car. If you really want the car, I would hand carry that stuff very, very, very carefully somewhere away from the car and set it down.

10. Buddy said he will bury it somewhere before I get back to it.I kinda think the guy is used to handling it new or old. He is a northern Ontario redneck with more dogs and guns than friends.I get along great with the guy!

11. Big Pete

Big Pete

Another suggestion: read some other place on the internet on how to handle old "unstables"

12. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Be sure to have a buddy video tape the extracation so if you blow up, he can post it on the net.

13. screwball

screwball

what town is he near I will be watching for the news story then the car will be famous and worth alot as a celebrity car.

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

You guys think you have some crazies livin in the back woods in the US. Man you should see the crazy old guys we have livin in the bush in Canada. We use to find dynamite all over northern ontario when we where young. Ok man! So what are you gonna do with that 57? And by the way man where did you find it?
    J

15. screwball

screwball

then again the green peacers will try to use this against us. I can just hear it man blows up while trying to move old car. The government has put a freeze on the movement of all unlicensed vehicles as they study the issue as of now all unlicensed vehicles must be moved by government curtified tow companies.

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Looks like you paid $25 for some glass and a conversation piece, pretty good buy in my book! :D

All that tinted glass is worth a fortune to someone restoring a '57-59 Dodge/Plymouth 2dr hardtop. Hope it's still in good shape. If the roof is still solid, it is also worth some coin to someone that needs to re-roof their hardtop. I doubt it's any good though.

CRLs were top of the line, you might scavenge anything that unbolts, especially headlight and tailight housings and trim. Dash parts and badging are sought after too. Post up the VIN and a photo of the trim plate (if it still exists and is legible) and we'll see if you scored one of the ultra-rare D-501s with a 354 Hemi. Probably not. :D

17. I doubt the ATF, will have anything to say about this, seeing as it's in "CANADA"! ;) I agree, about the instability of old dynamite though!:eek:

18. I,m not going to try and move it as it looks like it was parked there 30 years ago. Too many trees to cut down. No hemi....no engine at all. Front clip is there about 30 feet away and in tough shape. All glass except the windshield is good. Minor dents in some of the stainless. Dash is screwed,trunk is full of Y block parts too far rusted to save.The car is at the same spot I bought the 59 Chevy wagon and the Galaxies.Every time I,m there I find something else to buy! 8 cars so far....he also threw in a 55 Ford sedan windshield and a 54 Lincoln sedan tinted back glass.Life is good!

19. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

...lol... Dynamite.... kick ass story! ;)

The story alone is worth $25 :D

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hey Jim wheres that ol 57...i know its right...around here..som..Boom!:eek:

21. I promise not to make any bad puns about getting a lot of bang for your buck, or suggest that working on that car could really be a blast. Really, I promise.

22. 51delivery

51delivery

I was at my mechanic's place a couple of years ago and there was an old man that was compaining that his hearing still had not recovered from the explosion. When he left I asked and he and someone else were moving a car on his property and old dynamite blew it to pieces. Almost killed him. It had been in the paper about some old dynamite exploding but not the whole story. The moral to the story is don't screw with old dynamite!!

23. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Hell , the car looks better than the '57 Plymouth they dug up in Ok...........