Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Auburn Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Auburn, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Just picked this up, it started out as a sedan and was customized in the 50's to it's present form. Done by a WWII vet who was wounded at Normandy, this was his therapy. I bought it from his sister. It has a removable hardtop and is running the stock 6 with a 2 speed rear. She told me he was going to switch engines but never did. As I look at it I think the windshield needs to be chopped. I can't decide which way to go.
    A. Just cut the top off, cap the pillars and put a chrome channel on top of the glass.
    B. section the windshiled and drop the top of it down around 4 inches

I'm also going to build a carson style padded top.
    Also, anyone know of any Auburn speed parts? Any trans adapters to use the Auburn trans? There's plenty of room for a Ford flathead 8. I also have a 55 Buick 322 and a Desotom 291 laying around but I think they'd be a little heavy for the suspension which I plan on leaving alone. Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

nice car.. I see you have one of those little trucks in the backround.. I can get on cheap.. Are those things any good??

3. Ebert

Ebert

Wow, what a find! The guy did a great job on this beauty! Might want to get some photoshop help from some of the pros on here related to the windshield. Almost wonder if you chrome the outer part might get the dark part from being highlighted....

From the rear 3/4 shot, it appears that it might look a bit weird if you chop it....your car, your call and THANKS for sharing...way kool!

4. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

What a awesome find !,.... When can you post more pictures of it ?,..... I agree, something needs to be done with the windshield,.... please keep us posted.

6. bonesy

bonesy

Chop the windshield and Carson top it. Done.

7. Erik B

Erik B

There are repro Auburn speedster split windshields. If the cowl is the same form. Just a thought. That's going to be a great looking car in any case.

8. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Does this have the Lycoming 8Cyl , that's a beauty in itself
    DuVall frame like Erik B said

9. flathead okie

flathead okie

www.glenn-pray-cord-group.com

Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Co.

122 S. Elm Place, Broken Arrow Ok. 74012

Phone # 918.251.3161

Has authentic and second generation Auburn parts.

10. joebuick

joebuick

very cool. I always wanted to see an auburn customized.

11. Nice Score! I agree a couple inches out the the windscreen is needed

Attached Files:

12. F&J

F&J

[​IMG]
    The top of the windshield is easy to fix if you have access to a 4' brake.

I have a 32 ford 5w that lost it's roof and they used the stock but chopped windshield opening shape with curved top. It looked like ASS, so I bent up a box type deal to make the top flat just like a conv coupe should be.

What do you have for a 32 Auburn as in your name?? ( my favorite year Auburn :) )

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Some were super-charged, about as fast as any car in it's day! tt

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Something to keep in mind is if you take 4'' outa the windshield posts and drop the profile that vehicles' going to get very ''thick" looking through the middle. Some supension work will be necessary to make your chopped profile work well! Maybe a removable "Carson" style top, so you can retain some of the Auburn roadster vibe? Stock Auburn roadsters had some pretty tall lines, best viewed from afar!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

15. roddinron

roddinron

When my dad got back from the war, my uncle who was a car dealer had one and tried to get my dad to buy it from him for $150! That was a lot of money then, and my dad was newly married and had no use for a SUPERCHARGED Auburn, so he passed. Someone else bought it and ended up rolling it over. The engine ended up in a dirt track car.
    Good luck with yours, very nice car.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Definitely either cut the windshield frame off and use chromed roadster windshield and posts or go for DuVall style w/s.

There's a 1935 Auburn cabriolet runs around here which had a 331Cad engine/trans transplanted in the 1950s - it' looks stock and is a real beauty. Here's a supercharged 1935 851 Cabriolet

[​IMG]

17. scranm

scranm
    from IN

screw chopping ti's worth alot more restored

18. retromotors

retromotors

Well, that's a thought. However, the OP stated it started out as a sedan, be kinda rough to make it stock again.
    So it's already a bastard child.

Nice looking car, I'm jealous!:D

19. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Nope, can't be restored. There's tons of restored cars out there anyway, I prefer a little patina and I like the idea of driving a bastard. I was just looking at the motor mounts and it should be easy to fit a V8, has a mounting bracket similar to a late 50's Corvette. I was hoping to use the tranny though, oh well. To the person that asked about my 32, it's a fenderless manydoor, still unfinished. I found a winshield frame for the 35 but at around 2k it defeats my "do it economically" approach to life. thanks for all the input. Will post more pics when the saw hits it. It's also getting www's and single bar flippers, paint will be left alone.

20. alsancle

alsancle

The cowl is different from a coupe so the speedster windshield would not work. I wouldn't restore it either because the stock Auburn crowd is not going to like the customization. A light chop might look great. Don't mess with it too much cause it's pretty cool the way it is.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Look at an MGB windshield frame. Fit my '36 Ford, and would make your car look like an Auburn Sport Coupe, which had a fixed roof and chromed w/s frame from the Cabriolet. That's a VERY nice car you have there, whatever you do, do it right.

22. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Here's an approximation of the chop. I think it looks pretty good, add some wide whites and flippers and I think it's done.

Attached Files:

23. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

I have quite a few pictures of that car somewhere around here. It's been for sale several times. The windshield is from some other car and not an Auburn. The rear portion is also from another car. For what it's worth. There are several stories around Newberg about that car and who built it and when. I don't want to burst someones bubble but think it's good to find out as much as possible about a car. Good luck with it.

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I agree. A quick chop and the top then call it done. The rest is too perfect!

25. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I'd cut that fugly windshield frame off, smooth the cowl and put something more like a chrome 36 Ford Roadster w/s frame on (chopped of course).
    I'd also go for nicer bumpers - like those from a Zephyr, maybe - As nice as the rest of the Auburn design is, the bumpers on those things always looked cheesy to me.
    Other than that and the carson top, it looks like you're most of the way there

26. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Frank, the windshield is not from another car, the back is off an Auburn cabrio. I know the history very well and have pics from the 50's. I bought it from the builder's sister. This is all confirmed by a gentleman from the ACD club.

27. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

If you will look at a 35 or 36 cabriolet or coupe and pay attention to the rear body reliefs you will see a difference. Look inside the trunk around the rear fender area and see the repairs or add ons in your car. In 1935 the factory was in financial trouble. They did not have a coupe and the competition did. They took a roadster and added a hard top to make a coupe. ALL the coupes, roadsters and/or cabriolets had bolt on windshields. That one on your car was grafted on. As far as the builder. I also taked to the builders sister as I have looked at that car several times to buy. It's interesting also that I talked to another feller at the farm where it was stored all those years who gave me a different story. There is a body shop in town that was in one ownership for many years. They said the original owner/builder worker there. Who knows. Who cares. Its your car and you can do what you want. I just thought you may find it interesting that you now have a car with various history stories.

28. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I think I see where you're getting mixed up, the car was NEVER a coupe nor cabrio. No need to graft a windshield on. The car was cut down from a sedan and the rear section was grafted on. Some of the work was done at the Springbrook garage, I have receipts. The section above the trunk was modifed also that's why it doesn't look exactly like a stock auburn, which is a good thing. They told me some guy said that the back was off a Plymouth and had other ideas, maybe that was you. Either way I defer to the technical director in the Auburn club, the foremost expert on 34 to 36's. Probably knows more than both of us combined.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You mentioned that it had a removable hard top. What does it look like with that top on?