Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs To do or not to do...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PatrickG, Aug 3, 2009.

?
  1. My Scallops

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Different Scallops

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Plain Jane

37 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. PatrickG

PatrickG

Scallops?
    [​IMG]

No Scallops?
    [​IMG]

Or different Scallops???

What do you think?

The car is getting paint this week and I'm not sure which way to go. Pearl white basecoat, and a little HOK Abalone Flake in the clear.just enough for it to really sparkle. I Just cant decide that bit of red going inbetween.

On the one hand with all the fender trim shaved off, it might look to tall, especially in the white. hence the scallops to break it up a bit.

On the other hand, while the scallops do look good, I'm thinking they're just too loud for the mild custom I had in mind,

definitely not as subtle as simply shaving the trim, and frenching the headlights, etc.

Your thoughts?

**I should add that this poll in the scheme of things likely won't sway me too much, and I probably won't decide for sure until after i see the car with the base coat sprayed.

I'm just curious to see what some outside opinions are.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Quit while you're ahead.

The scallops look like you're gunning for an OSR feature. It's a four door Plymouth. Don't try to make it something it's not. I wouldn't even two-tone the SOB.

The one you have pictured is about as good as one can get.

JH

3. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

scallops suck,

Just a subtle opinion but, if you are going to put them on anyway then you might as well stop by Walmart and by every plastic chrome accessory and or light up thingy that they have and install them, to go along with the scallops. Don't forget that big NASCAR decal that goes on the window.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I had the same car and I was thinking the scallops kind of help detract from that huge midsection of the body. Kind of like the same affect as sectioning it. (kinda) ps I dont seea anything Ol stool rodz about that car with or without scallops.

5. 55X150

55X150

No don't do it!!!!

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

Front fender scoop would break up the slab

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

OSR? Walmart? Nascar? What a bunch of bullshit.

There's nothing wrong with scallops. Don't do the red though. Do them in the roof color.

8. Mason

Mason

No scallops, but I sure do love the garlic festival in Gilroy!

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I vote no on the scallops.

10. PatrickG

PatrickG

the body is all one color, sorry if i wasnt clear, the whole car is being shot in a pearl white base, with abalone flake in the top coat

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice layout, just not for a four-door. And I like four-doors, by the way.

12. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Do whatever YOU like, the hell with everybody else. Personally, if it is going in a white pearl, I'd scallop it in a satin gray or charcoal.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I like scallops...but not those.
    The upper line of the top "fork" needs to be parrallel with bottom of lowest "fork". The middle tang can be either/or.....or both lines angled.....
    Does that make sense??

Plain jane is just that...........boring.

14. Here is my opinion (for what its worth):
    I like the car and the fact it is a four door. The scallops are ok, not bad looking, but not in red. If you re going to do them, do somthing more sublte. You stated you are doing the car pearl white w/ abalone flake on the roof. If you decide to go with scallops, I would recommend doing them with the 'flake as well. It would be clean, simple, understated, and look good. Please post pics once you get it sprayed, either way. Like I said, I dig the car. And as for the comment about making the car something its not, that is total b.s., we all have our likes and dislikes, don't talk smack on someone else's car because it isn't the same as you A or Duece.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

How about curb feelers, some headlight visors and some spinner hub caps? Gary

PS wanted - your hub caps!!

16. RAY With

RAY With

My choice is without-Put a nice appealing traditional paint job and dare to be different!

17. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I like the scallops... It doesn't say RR. Lots and lots of old 50's customs had scallops. I'm debating on how to do scallops on my 51 chevy right now.

18. PatrickG

PatrickG

I see what you mean. when i drew these up in photoshop i was trying to get all the bottom lines parallel with eachother, and all the top lines parallel with eachother in the same downward slope, to take away a little bit of the "perceived" height of the sides

19. What's wrong with Plain Jane,,btw,,let's see a color photo. HRP

20. PatrickG

PatrickG

its in back and white because the internet picture i borrowed to do my photoshop "preview" orginally had a blue car.

21. So this is your car not the photoshop one,,correct?

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Ever think about a solid color other than white? HRP</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=left>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

22. PatrickG

PatrickG

I've wanted it in white since the beginning. The only other color I thought about having it done in was the original blue, there was just one in street rodder that looked really good in a blue close to factory. but my painter has a surf board painted in the pearl white and abalone flake. the way the flake looked in the sun sold me on it.

and yes that one on the trailer is mine

23. hotflint

hotflint

I agree

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    The 49-52 Mopars are stodgy, bland, Grandpa and Grandma, hat-wearer's cars.
    They are also comfortable, dependable, smooth riding, roomy, and you actually can wear a fedora while driving them.
    So, do what you will it will always be YOUR car and YOUR Choice.