Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please advice: Petronix Ignitor III ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdtreur, Aug 2, 2009.

1. rdtreur

rdtreur

Hello,
    I want to swap my stock distributor (’64 Ford 390 mec. advance for a Petronix plug and play Ignitor III distributor.
    Now what I want to know: Is there a big difference between Ignitor II and Ignitor III modules?? Anybody experience with both??
    I did ask around here in the Netherlands but no one has any experience with the new Ignitor III modules.

Many thanx in advance

2. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

How much horsepower do you run?
    How much do you want to spend?

I am running a 68'302, all I did is install a PETRONIX II and keep the stock rotor cap. Went to 8mm wires and a FLAMETHROWER. What an amazing difference over the stock points and condenser. Still looks stock , idles like its factory new and very smooth all the way up the rpm range.

3. 2002p51

2002p51

Biggest difference is the Igniter III has a built in adjustable rev limiter. If you don't need that, an Igniter II will do you just fine.

4. rdtreur

rdtreur

5. I installed the same Igniter II setep as Intruder did. My Rocket runs like a champ. You'll like it.

6. i just installed the igniterIII. the install was a breeze. and it works great.

7. rdtreur

rdtreur

Thanx for all the input.

On the Igniter III site they say it´s like a ingition box but I can´t make out of the site that it´s giving a multiple spark discharge??? Or maby my English is failing me.....

The ad:
    http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

8. Mopar34

Mopar34

Rocket Hot Rod wrote:
    As stated above, I also have this unit installed in my stock distributor on my 57 Olds J2, runs like a champ and has been doing so since 1999.:cool:

<!-- / message -->

9. The Ignitor III has not only the adjustable built in Rev Limiter but it is also a multi spark from idle to redline (unlike a traditional box that quits the multi spark at about 3000 rpm). Both the II and III have adaptive dwell that constantly changes the dwell time based on the load of the motor, allowing for hotter spark through better rise and fall time of the coil as well as cooler coil running (therefore longer coil life)

10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '68 Galaxie with a 390 and a cam and intake that I bought in '01 and first thing I did was put in a Pertronix and never had to do anything to do a thing to it when I sold it last November. How is that for a testimonial?