Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Burgy's Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Burgy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Burgy

Burgy

Finally hauled the Model A out of storage and started to get to work on the thing. Going pretty straightforward with the thing, for now, lets hope my stupid head doesn't think crazy thoughts. Plans are stock Model A frame, aggressive rake, 3-5" chop (possibly slanted), with a hopped up flatty and quickchange outback, and spartan interior to start with. Oh and about 85% sure its gonna be gloss black, with black wheels and black firestones.

Start with the good stuff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C3rH7C8ysg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C3rH7C8ysg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm gonna try to, if I remember to charge my camera battery after each day, to time lapse as much of the build as possible.

and pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2 photoshops of a possible chop

4"
    [​IMG]

4"back 5"front
    [​IMG]

p.s. not my honda, the guy with the bright shorts (video)

2. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

Cool, good luck with your project

3. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

very very cool
    whats the song? lol

4. Looks like a solid start for a great project. Be careful with the chop. Comfort wise, there is a lot of difference between 3" and 5".

5. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

wow...I have the twin...literally!...lmao

6. Burgy

Burgy

yea, I was trying to figure that out, hence me sitting in it a couple times. I figure a 4" chop even wouldn't really bother me comfort wise, and if I do decide to go smaller in the front I was leaning towards 3.5"back and 4-4.5"front.

The body is definitely in pretty nice shape, the guy I bought it from had done a quick fixup job on it some 40 years ago and primered it. Only one issue with the body really, the back body line, that follows the trunk is completely gone, looks like he just fabbed his own rough patch panels and redid the whole backend, decklid and rear pan. So most of that will need to be redone. Definitely better than a couple hundred bullet holes and 50 years of sitting in the dirt rust :D

7. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

8. Burgy

Burgy

well apparently the guy I bought it from had made 2 cars from 3, so you never know, a car can travel a long distance in 40 years :D

9. Little Terry

Little Terry

Looks like a nice project.

really enjoyed watching the time lapse vid. Especially like the way the shadows move around the floor like a ticking clock as you are working. Keep the pics and vids coming.

Mark.

10. Thats is my dream right there man. Looks sweet. Could you post a link on more info about the quickchange you will use? Good luck with the build!

11. Burgy

Burgy

Its a toss up between the Halibrand and the Winters v8 style quickchanges for the time being, Halibrand is nice because they throw in a pair of Helical cut gears, and the Winters looks nice because their catalog is a little more comprehensive and they do have a pretty well done website, I'll probably have to give both of them a call, then make my decision.

Key to the whole thing is if the 2 later model banjo rear ends I pulled out of the weeds a couple days ago will come apart decently :D, unfortunately the 8ba flathead I pulled out has a near fatal(stud to valve) crack in it, however there are 2 more in the weeds, and a completely intact 40's era chevy dash and steering wheel I needs to get.

I have a 59a motor, came out of my 38 ford truck, it has one sleeved cylinder, which is the cracked one, it was also factory relieved(probably during the factory rebuild which I have the plate for) common consensus on all the reading I've done is the relieving doesn't do much but lower compression. Plus one combustion chamber is really pitted quite bad. So if I can't find a more primo conditioned motor that'll be my fall back. Reason I want a decent block is because I do want to do a pretty decent buildup on the flatty.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

good luck on the build...keep the pics coming

13. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

love the video!! i like the look your going for. it looks like your off to a great start

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Time lapse = rad
    CCR = even more rad

Thanks for sharing!

15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i need to videotape myself in the shop. i always seem to set the ratchet of screwdriver i am using in an odd location. then when i go huntin it down its in the "how in the hell?" location.

i dig the black on black on black with black tires look. subscribed.

16. Burgy

Burgy

Update number 1, original crossmember was cracked/modified/who knows what, so out it goes and try my hand and fabricating a new one (hell it was only 30$ in plate steel) here goes

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IdwihfYHTc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IdwihfYHTc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

By the way, it may or may not have music at some point in time, youtube got all big brother on me, and I'm currently disputing the music thing, anyways

Musical Credits: Led Zeppelin, The Lemon Song

and what I've got done so far on the front crossmember, still need to build up some material, add the radiator mounts, then smooth'er all down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Burgy

Burgy

Its been a little while, got a little busy with moving into the new shop, and then forgetting to bring my camera there, like every day. Anyways, a little follow up on the front crossmember

Welded in the Radiator mounts, that was back in august some time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved to the new shop with a couple co-workers/buddies, and my Old Man

the whole shop
    [​IMG]

My area
    [​IMG]

you can see the construction of the new frame almost finished, started with flat stock, welded along the seam, then shaped, will be inset boxed after I put in the crossmembers
    [​IMG]

The Frame all jigged up, almost ready to start welding in the crossmembers, you can see the finished front crossmember
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a picture of me welding the angled brackets for the jig
    [​IMG]

getting better with the tig welder
    [​IMG]

18. Those welds kick ASS.

19. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

20. Bottom line is you're welds kick ass.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think A's are an addiction..maybe thats why they start with A

22. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I've got a 401 Nailhead that would look great in that car...ride on down I'll sell it to you. I really like the way that car sets

23. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Nice work,subscribed.Love the wheel tyre combo,my favourite.
    Don't wait so long for the next up date!LOL:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

24. freebird101

freebird101

25. Burgy

Burgy

that'd be a nice mill, for one of my other projects, hauled the back end of a model A tudor sedan and the cowl out of the bush, plan on welding the back to the cowl and making a dragster out of it.

thanks for the compliments

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Damn NICE work Man!

Nick.

27. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

How did you do that time lapse man that is great. I like the new shop too.