Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Garage sale score! Vintage maps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I usually don't go to garage sales. But today I stopped cause I spotted an old gauge sitting on the table. Turned out to be a Chris Craft amp gauge from the early 60's. Nothing special but I bought it anyways.

But this is the real score. 22 vintage roadmaps ranging from 1932 to 1965. All of them in amazing shape!

The most amazing one is a 1932 road map of Colorado and Utah.

Never know what cool stuff you will find!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I might put most of these in the classifides section. I'm sure some of you guys in these states would like to have one of your state.

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

whatever you do , don't use them,lol one time we went 30+ miles out of our way only to find out on the way back that in the 5 years since our map had been published the interstate HAD been completed:)

cool find, they are fun to look at to see how underdeveloped stuff was...

4. wow, you never know whats layn around in peoples garages. they still in their plastic wrappers too! awesome.

5. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

do y o have any 1946 kentucky?thanks

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

awesome. garage sales rule.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

All of them are in amazing shape and most don't even look used at all. I figure I'll share them with you guys. I'll post a list and better pics, in the cassifides, of the ones I decide to sell, with their dates and states soon.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I want one of those maps that takes you back in time when you travel on the back roads.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I bought my amazingly original 1951 Ford Club Coupe in 1987, I opened the glove box, and at the bottom of all the stuff in there was a road map for Minnesota.:) I've checked it out for dates, and the only one I found is that the populations for the cities in the legend were according to the 1940 Census. I've got to believe it was as old or older than the car. (Back in those days, the census was taken every 10 years; do they still do that?).:confused:

Also in the glove compartment was an envelope from a driving school (manuals and all) from the same period. I believe it also was original, because the address on the envelope had the postal zone on it, not the zip code, which I believe came in in 1959.

11. awesome-great find !! sometimes the garage sales pay off

12. screwball

screwball

I still go on road trips using a 1934 Ontairo road map. Found some kool old buildings signs and other stuff over the years.

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Old maps are fun accessories to have. I have 1961 Standard Oil maps for both Minnesota and the Minneapolis-St. Paul area in the glove box of my car, it's interesting to see how the roads were before the Interstates were built.

14. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Besides the old maps I really love the old brochures for regional "kitchy" attractions. You know, like "see the worlds biggest ball of yarn" or the collection of "stuffed 2 tailed sloths". That kind of neat "junk". The trick with yard sales is to do a long distance scan and group by association. Young couple, new home move along. Old house, peeling paint not on the main drag, stop and take a look. Good luck everyone!

15. Cool Stuff! Nice find.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very cool.

Old maps will show you the main highway system prior to the interstates.
    In my area, I have an old map that shows what was around prior to the post war subdivisions being built out; such as a golf course (all the streets there are 'golf' names), air fields and race track.

17. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

My wife got me a whole beer box full of them old maps from a old lady at a garage sale, some day I'm going to set them up in the garage on the wall maybe, some of them go way back to the 50's and 60's and maybe some 40's even have some that I can't read cuz they from other parts of the world.LOL But in the mean time there still in the beer box under the work bench in my garage, maybe someday when I'm dead my wife will pass them on. LOL

18. Picked up and sold some like that from the flea market. Some of the Shell ones have a Nash-like car on the cover page.