Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 215

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustikRods, Jul 19, 2005.

1. RustikRods

RustikRods

I am considering using the aluminum buick V8 for my next project. I know that most parts are interchangable with the rover engines. Has anyone ever used one of these? Any tips or things i should look out for? The plan is to build a light roadster with a good power to weight ratio.

2. Im assuming thats a modern engine? You dont need a new aluminum mill to make your rod fast. Its amazing how fast a lightweight car with a moderate horsepower, older V8 can be (Flathead, Nailhead, SBC etc...)
    -dean

3. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Sounds like a fun project. Why not go with a more recent Rover engine and dress it up with 215 speed parts? It's basically the same engine, but it'll be easier to find a Rover version in good condition (Rover bought the design from Buick and made very few changes.) Offenhauser still makes finned valve covers for the Rover/Buicks and I believe both Offy and Edelbrock still make 4 barrel intakes.

4. I ran a 215 in a stock car years ago....'61 Buick Special. Raced against engines that were 200 cu. in. larger and beat 'em.....:)

Of course, the car was considerably lighter than those big-inch tanks.

I highly recommend that engine in a light car.

5. How old are these engines? Are they a type of Nailhead? I havent heard of aluminum Rovers.
    -dean

6. MilesM

MilesM

http://aluminumv8.com/

7. squirrel

squirrel

a light car with a big, heavy, powerful engine will give an even better power/weight ratio...but the 215 build should be fun and it would make an interesting ride. go for it!

The aluminum 215 was built by Buick from 61-63, and Olds had a similar but slightly different version of the same engine. The engine went to an iron block with a "modern" bellhousing in 1964, and increased in cubes to 300, then 340. The 225 (and later 231 (3.8)) V6 is 3/4 of a 300.

Rover bought the tooling and made the aluminum engines for decades....

8. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

http://www.aluminumv8.com

they specialize in these engines. I have a '63 Skylark with one of these. You can use a 300 Buick crank and oversized pistons to stroke it. mine has the 4 bbl intake now but I would like to find more speed parts if I can.

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I ran an Olds Jetfire 215 in a GT40 kit car I built. I did not run the turbo. You can use the 300 crank and heads that came out later on the aluminum block and get some serious horsepower (300+) in a 300 pound engine. They are cool engines and popular in vinatage racing.

Mike

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

They kind of look like a little Nailhead.
    Rover used them in the Rover 3500, the SD1, the Range Rover, and MG stuffed them in the MGB to make the MGB GT V8.
    I think there is a Australian version of it that is punched out to 4.4 litre ( the 215 Cu In is 3.5L )
    But the ultimate version of that Family of Engines, for me, is the Repco 3 Litre V8 that Jack Brabham used in his Formula 1 Car.( with SOHC Heads that he and Repco designed )
    That Engine was based on the Olds block...

11. The hot set up is a Rover block with a Buick 300 crank and the aluminum heads off a 64 Buick 300 (only year they made the larger chamber 300 heads in aluminum). Understand an P76 crank (from down under) has a tad more stroke than the Buick 300 crank.

I'm building an Oldsmobile version. Stock displacement, a little bit of cam along with an Edelbrock intake and carb and a set of Lime Fire style headers. Should be plenty of scoot for a modified.

12. marq

marq

modern TVR's still use a bored and stroked rover engine to about 500 bhp................Marq

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I ran one in my '33 truck. It was a Rover 3.5 out of an SD1 & had an Offy intake with a Holley 390 hooked to a 5-speed. Ran pretty well - the 5-spd made the difference I think.

I was going to put the old Buick 215 valve covers on, painted gold, but sold it before I actually did it (gave the guy the VCs). Does look a bit like a baby nailhead.

Rover take them out to 4.2L now (~256cu")

Edelbrock makes a Performer Intake & Cam for it. The Offy is a single-plane 360 design.

Lots of stuff avail for these engines...

14. Phil1934

Phil1934

15. There is a 4.9L Rover available.
    Watch your front pulley offsets when looking for spares/parts.
    The oiling system needs help just like the V6's and 455's.
    Enlarge the main galley.
    The V6 timing cover will bolt on.
    Buick 350 HEI might fit (Either that or V6 with v8 guts....?).
    Check the aluminum v8 website and maybe join the V8 MG forum on autox.net.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The diameter of the HEI interfered with my Offy intake. If I ever took it off, the plan was to trim that corner & try again. Because of the height of the interference (up near the top of the block), I couldn't tell if removing that corner would be enough to clear the HEI...

Rover makes several electronic distributors - they are Lucas brand though. Mallory also has distributors for them though...

17. I had Dave Ray convert my stock distributor to HEI. On the one he did for my SBC the module is mounted to the bottom of the case. But the 215 does not have room. Dave fabricates a loom so you can remotely mount the module.

Do a web search for "Dave's Small Body HEIs" if you are interested. The guy is incredable!

18. I have the Rover 3.5 in my roadster with a 5 speed box.

With the skinny cross-plys it makes a scary ride:D
    Plenty of fun:D

19. atch

atch

rustik,

if you do this how 'bout polishing the entire engine and posting pix? i've never seen one polished, but think it would garner a LOT of attention.

20. There was a guy in Maine that had a fully polished one in a green T Touring. Don't have any pics, but it was an eye catcher.

21. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

I understand (though haven't bought one yet) that the stock dizzy with a Pertronix ignition is the shizz. Looks old school, fires new school.

22. 5window

5window

My dada had a '63 Olds Jetfire-215 with the turbo. The thing would fly when it ran right but unfortunately, Olds couldn't really keep the turbo running correctly.
    My dad paid $300 over the carb unit to buy the car and $300 less on trade in the next year. That was real money in '63. Still wish he had the car,though.

23. Zerk

Zerk

215V8 under "Groups" at Yahoo.com.

Lots of info there.

24. RustikRods

RustikRods

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll post some progress pics when it gets going.

25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Some years ago i built a bike from scratch ,using the Aussie P76 v8 mounted same as boss hoss.As a metal polisher ,i polished the entire block,heads,manifold,timing cover .and bellhousing .everything else i chromed.rest of the bike was painted black.will post some photos .It was stock except for a GT cam lightened flywheel and a balance job .

26. And then you borught up a 4 year old dead thread and had nothing to say about traditional Hot Rods or Customs on a board that is deicated to that :eek:

27. MorganGT

MorganGT

The 4.4 litre version was designed for the Leyland P76. While it was based on the Rover engine, there are very few interchangeable parts, so if you wanted bigger cubes than a 215 a later Rover engine would be the thing to use, as they went up to 4.9 litres.

The P76 version runs a 3.5" bore and 3.5" stroke, so the block decks are higher (and the engine wider) than the 215 version.

I've got a shed full of the things, plus various gearboxes to suit and an aftermarket turbo kit for one. One day it'll go into some kind of rod.

28. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

LOL! I've got two of those things in my garage here in the States. My idea was\is to drop in a 3.85" stroke Buick 350 crank and rods and sleeve the block out to 3.75". Can you say 340 cid? The good news is TA Performance will be releasing in a few months big valve heads for the Buick\Rover based on their Turbo V6 heads.

Greg

Attached Files:

29. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im running an original buick (not rover) 215 in an (OT) car. The little motor has a lot of torque, and is quite small and light. Im running an Edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel which should work fine but is currently a little over jetted. Like others have mentioned, the Rover motors are very well developed compared to the original. I think this motor is well suited to a Model T or A and a "seasoned" block should work just fine. Good luck!

30. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Brit aftermarket heads are available. Bigger valve and port ones are also coming from TA Performance in AZ.

Greg