Register now to get rid of these ads!

Redline Water Wetter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geez63, Aug 2, 2009.

1. geez63

geez63
    from Maryland

I've been running 100% distilled water in my radiator at the track. I should probably be using some type of additive for lubrication and corrosion protection. I've heard about Redlines Water Wetter and Purple Ice. Any pros & cons on which ones to use would be appreciated.

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

sorry dont want to hijack this thread but how does thistuff work tom

3. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Water Wetter works quite well. I pirated this info from their site.

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems.

· Doubles the wetting ability of water
    · Improves heat transfer
    · Reduces cylinder head temperatures
    · May allow more spark advance for increased torque
    · Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
    · Provides long term corrosion protection
    · Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
    · Prevents foaming
    · Reduces cavitation corrosion
    · Complexes with hard water to reduce scale

4. Fogger

Fogger

Check with your track officials about using a cooling system additive. The FOGGER

5. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

Used to run Purple Ice in our dirt bikes. That is until we went to ride on a Sunday morning and my sons bike sprung a leak. We couldn't find any stores open anywhere to buy more. We now run Caterpillar's brand coolant. It has all of the good stuff still in it and most truck dealers are open 24/7 to buy it in a pinch. We run 100 octane and have never had anything go wrong using Purple ice. It is just expensive and hard to find at times when you need it.

6. onebigdog

onebigdog
    from ca

We use Water Wetter in our Sprint Car, without the water wetter we have cooling problems as we don't use a cooling fan. I have tried Purple Ice, it works well also.

7. geez63

geez63
    from Maryland

That's true, I probably shouldn't just assume that it's OK to use an additive at my track. I'll check and make sure.

8. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

water wetter is great stuff,it has corrosive protectant and lubricates water pumps,i use it in my flathead and have never had a problem,I also run distilled water.

9. LZ

LZ

Hi Geez:

I run water wetter in my Sons Bracket car.
    Dump the antifreeze mix in spring, flush the system and add straight H2O with WW.
    Anti freeze is worse to clean up at the track then oil so we try to do our part.

FWIW I did not give it much thought till a couple weeks ago on a hot night that the car was actually cooling faster then normal. We hot lap the crap out of this car and only needed to stop for a few minutes after 5 right after each other runs..:eek:
    Anyway the stuff really works.

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

I use the water wetter in my car,and can for shure tell a difference.

11. geez63

geez63
    from Maryland

Thanks for the input LZ, sounds like it's worth using. Like you, I'll switch to antifreeze when it gets cold and then go back to using 100% water w/additive in the spring.

12. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

I run it in the flatty and in my A, used it for a few years now and can see a definite difference. Works well...

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Water Wetter just reduces the surfase tension of the water, allowing the water molecules to be in more intimate contact with the metal, therefore transferring heat a little better.

You can achieve the same result by adding a small amount of dishwashing soap, for a lot less money.

14. troylee

troylee

I run the red line water wetter in my corvette road race car. for the last 6 years in race conditions. work good no complants. Always wanted to try that 40 below stuff. just to see if it cools better.

15. henryj429

henryj429

Didn't work worth a damn for me, and I tried more than one type. I didn't see one degree of temp drop. A big ass aluminum radiator killed the problem for good.

16. I use stuff made by Lubri-finer for diesels. Cuts corrosion,and electrolosis >>>>.

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just bought some because I always heard that it works, and it's a purty color!

I'd heard that dishsoap does the same thing, but what fun is that?!?

18. I have actually seen a 20 degree drop in temp. with water wetter. Antifreeze raises the boiling point of water but will not reduce engine temperature. Water wetter will and a lot easier to clean up in the event of a spill.

19. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

dishsoap does do the same thing, it breaks the surface tension of the water making it cool better, but you need to use automatic dish detergent ,not dishsoap and it only takes about two teaspoons, usually all the shit they sell that does magnificent things if you do some research something alot less NASA will get you close, I wouln't use any of that stuff , because I've never seen it work(water wetter). don't use the good detergent it has microscopic grit in it use the real cheap stuff that won't clean dishes and it adds lubricant.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It won't overcome a problem., and it sounds like the radiator was the problem.