Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Hiboy- "My 32 Spitfire"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Spitfire, Feb 7, 2009.

1. moter

moter

That is a work of art!!! Great job!!

2. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Goodguy's Show in Columbus, Ohio

We were invited to have the "32 Spitfire" at the Brookville Roadster booth. We had a great time with Chuck and the Brookville crew, and meet a lot of very nice people even a few HAMB members.

The car was selected for the "Street Rodder Top 100 Event" held at the winners circle on Sunday morning. Unfortunately the brand new mag failed with only 1.5 miles on the car Sunday morning. We looked everywhere for one but I guess flathead mags are not too popular. I was very disappointed but happy to be even chosen.

Thanks to Brookville and Street Rodder Magazine!!

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Winston Churchill

3 Spitfire

Attached Files:

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, TOP JOB! I'm stoked for y'.Shame about the mag, but who'd of thunk it that you couldn't get one anywhere!!!:D:D:D;)

Nick.

4. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Nick,

The mag story continues.....more on that later. I now have a real Vertex mag on the way.

When I returned home from the Goodguy's show last Sunday I found a letter from London on my desk. It just happened to be a note from William Ash who wrote the book "Under The Wire". William was one of "The Few" Americans who joined up with the RAF before the US entered the war. He was shot down in his Spitfire over France and became a prisoner of war. A real "Eagle" who stayed in England after the war. What a thrill to meet William and thank him for his service!

Winston Churchill

3 Spitfire

5. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Photo

Attached Files:

6. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

7. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

#45 "New Taylor/Vertex Mag"

Doug and I just installed a brand new Taylor/Vertex Mag. Don't tell Doug but it was kind of fun watching him set the timming and getting a jolt now and then. He would jump and I'd hear him say something but I just looked away giggling...he's a lot bigger than me and almost anyone can out run me!!

This is a real mag replacing the electronic ignition version we had before. The old flathead now fires right up with real authority!!

I want to thank Justin at Taylor/Vertex for all his help. There are still companies out there that provides great service and Taylor is one of them!!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

8. moter

moter

Thanks for sharing the pics! Looks awesome!! Btw...you may want to wrap the headers as the heat will melt the phone :p

9. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

moter,

I wondered where I had lost my business phone yesterday!! It didn't take you and Gary at Cornhusker Rod & Custom to point it out!!

Here is a better photo.

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

10. raceratrod

raceratrod

You have nailed it 200o/o great job.

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, The WHOLE scheme/theme is just RIGHT period!

Nick.

12. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Thanks raceratrod & 60'shotrod (Nick) !!

Nick, did you take any photos of that Spitfire a week or so ago for us? If you did please post it right here!!!

32 Spitfire

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, I didn't get round to see the Shuttleworth collection, but I'm hopefully going to Goodwood Revival and the oldest flying Spitfire will be there, if I'm lucky I might get to sit in the cockpit as my boss knows the chap that owns it!They'll have a hard time getting me back out again!I'll get some pictures of that for sure!:D

Nick.

14. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Dam fine job. Now too bad "somebody" couldn't figure out a way to mount another so you could have left and right mags like a plane.

15. littleratracing

littleratracing

Just beautifull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I live in a little town called Ashford in kent and battle of britain history is still very easily remebered around here. I grew up with my grand parents telling me all about it and the american service men that lived in the village and we have a memorial not many miles from us to an american bomber crew that came down on the edge of the romney marsh. Your car is a stunning tribute..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  16. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Thank-you littleratracing, claymore, and Nick!

This car is dedicated to every single person who gave so much during the Battle of Britain and beyond. It is dedicated to "the few" who came from all over the world to fight along side Britain in their finest hour.

The theme of the car is in honor of the few American pilots who went on to form the Eagle Squadron and the fabulous Spitfire that they flew.

(I do understand that Winston Churchill's comment below is dedicated to all the men who flew.)

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and excitement on this project!

Cheers

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

17. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

What type and color of paint is the body done in?

18. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, that is a GREAT picture!

Nick.

19. 32skidoo

32skidoo
    from TN

Great looking roadster! Very classy and tastefully done.

Another "Thank You" for a "living" tribute to those who sacrificed and gave so much.

20. Deu55

Deu55

Great car ,thread, theme and your hanger is awesome ...

21. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

How the hell have I missed this thread?!!!!!
    I served in the R.A.F. between '80 and '92 and during that time saw Spitfires on several occaisions.Never failed to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.Probably the most stunning fighter ever built.
    Your car is a great tribute to the aircraft and the men who flew them.
    Anyway,must dash,chocks away,toodle pip old bean,bandits 6 o'clock!

22. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

23. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

24. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #46 "Painting Interior Door Panels"

Mark H,
    I don't know if I'll ever make it to England or Biggin Hill to see a real Spitfire, but that video was the next best thing! Thanks for sharing.

I picked up the painted interior door panels from Dave Clark at Crowtown CustomZ and installed them this afternoon. I decided to only have Dave paint the inside area of the panels so some of Frank Wallic's bright aluminum and rivets would contrast the dark olive green interior. One side is the RAF roundel and the other the US Star roundel that some of the early Eagles preferred on their Spitfires. What do you all think?

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

25. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Photos:

Attached Files:

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire those door panel look GREAT Man!

Nick.

27. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Thought I would show everyone the custom riveted license plate from Frank Wallic made for me. I also used two new top lighted stainless steel bolts for the plate light.

Frank can be reached by email at: [email protected]

Have a great weekend!

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

28. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

This car is just unbelieveable I read this thread over and over gave me some idea for my 32 project. Hopefully this weekend maybe the day I drive it around the block after 6 years of a project. I will have the wiring done tomorrow Saturday 8/29/09.

Thanks
    Frenchy

29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, Details Man, its ALL in the details and yours are GREAT!

Nick.

30. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Thanks Frenchy 32 & 60'shotrod!

Here is a close up of Frank Wallic's rivet work and the lights on. A few more rivets to match the bomber seat and interior door panels!

32 Spitfire

Attached Files: