Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling Junk on the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hibbyjr53, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... I didn't read this whole thread, BUT...

The HAMB is free. Every feature on this site is free. It's not about money - it's about traditional hot rods and customs. The only people I think should feel obligated to contribute are the businesses that make their money from this joint. Under no circumstances should any regular user feel obligated to contribute financially... Sure, it's nice and all but it's not what this site is about.

I work hard to make sure the Alliance brings more value than the $50 a year it costs to be a member, but the whole idea behind the program was that it is completely optional for the user. No one should feel obligated. Users should only contribute if they feel like the site brings them good value and if they feel like the Alliance will do them some good.

All that said, I'm so damned proud of the Alliance... I couldn't be happier with how it has worked out for both me and the fellas that are members.

2. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Enough Said!

I have used my discount once in almost three years.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

So, no secret decoder rings?

4. Let me repeat, I don't think it should be manditory to SELL for all the points already mentioned, and have no problem with people BUYING for free. I'm just saying with all the people making $ off this service, you would think more people would contribute to the HAMB.
    I know things are tuff first hand.
    Iv'e been out of work since last year do to medical problems. Thats why I had to sell my Thames, or I would have never sold it. I made more then enough to pay for membership. I'm not a self profest classified police.
    Again I just thought it was worth bringing up.

5. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

What the **** happened to the spelling in the quote?:D
    I dont knock it,just dont need it.

6. BBobb

BBobb

There you have it...........

LET'S KILL THE CONFUSION HERE!!!!!!!!

Has alliance members we are not suggesting that the Hamb should be a pay dues to sell parts.We are saying weigh the pros and cons of having the membership and the good it has for the forum in general.Look at all the HARD work others are contributing for FREE to provide the service we all reap from.

This is a healthy thread based on opinion..........no more no less. Let's don't screw it up with the
    typical bullshit that let's these type of decent threads go to shit

7. I modified it to make my missspelling look good

8. 1oldrat

1oldrat

It's only $50.00.It goes to a great site.Most people blow $50.00 on a night out.I've never used my alliance membership for any discounts,but I've sold alot of stuff on here and didn't have to pay ebay fees.Instead of joining send Ryan some $$$$ when you sell something or have a HAMB auction and give the proceeds to the site.It doesn't hurt to give back a little.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Now that's funny. Im going out in the garage now. A Reply to 2nd post above

10. mj40's

mj40's

Couldn't have said it better myself! The HAMB Rocks!

11. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I dig the hamb and pay the cash, money well spent just in entertainment and infomation value, without using any of the vendors as of yet.

12. jick

jick
    from london

the knowledge,experience and advice of the people on this forum is well worth $50 a year to me.
    from my sofa here in the Uk i can find the answers for pretty much any problem i come up against with my project...i dont have any friends at all that are into hotrods so this place is a godsend.
    thankyou....Jick.

13. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Well said

14. 69fury

69fury

I plan on joining up ($50 aint too bad) when i can afford it- all the work on my car has been trading labor for labor or parts for parts, for the last year, as i'm getting back on my feet from the divorce/moving fandango.

as for buying selling....i've had a few people return partial answers as to "how wide, what ratio, how long" but not answer all pertinant questions, then ignore any further attempts to contact them. If it's sold, or you dont know, be polite and just say so...

I've been on a few different boards and i gotta say this is the one i respect the most. But some peeps surprised me with very unbusinesslike behavior -kinda left me feelin down but i'm not givin up.

15. My feelings about the Hamb and the Alliance membership,,,

I get a lot more than I give,,I have saved more than the $200.00 bucks I have spent in the last 4 years on membership.

Every vender I have spent my money with have been first class and a couple I would not have ever had the oppertunity to deal with had they not been Alliance Venders.

I don't really care who sells on the Hamb,,but I have delt with one guy a few years ago that screwed me out of a few hard earned fun tickets.!:mad:

I can say that I will look to see if the seller is a Hamb Alliance member and I will deal with one without worring too much,,the way I see it this type of guy is willing to invest a few bucks to become a member and is most likely here for the long haul!

I'm not saying I will not buy a part from a non member but I have been known to ask around about the seller if I don't know him.

Ryan has consistantly grown and improved the Hamb to what it is today,He has never ask for anything and provided us with what I think is the BEST Damn internet site in the free world!

I originally joined the Alliance for the discounts but shortly after I joined I started seeing the big picture,,I am helping a guy that made all this possible,,plus the perks.

Thanks Ryan,,,from me,not only as a Alliance Member but a regular guy that was introduced to what has become a addiction to thousands of gearheads!:D HRP

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that, Every time I check the classifieds I see listings by guys who have actually participated on the board very little but have a string of classified adds.

Unless you know the name of the seller, check his profile and see just what he has posted on sometime just for the sake of personal knowledge.

You will find a couple who at one time or another posted a quick intro and then have only posted to the classifieds and never participate on any thread unless it is to offer something for sale to someone who mentioned that he was looking for or needing such an item. Those are usually the adds that want three times what something should be worth for their parts and pieces too.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. 7 years as a Hamber, and ya can't cough up $50??????????

18. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

If I could sign up to be an alliance member I would. But hell I barely have the money to buy paint to paint with let alone an extra fifty to spare right now. Whenever I have the money I will join the Alliance. But righ tno I can't afford it. This is a great site, tons of knowledge, and yes all kinds of parts and things that you wont find on other boards. I don't think it would be a good idea to make it mandatory that you have to be an alliance member. (not saying anyone said that just saying) cus then the guys that have the parts that cant afford to sign up, will go to another site. Then there will be very few posts in the classifieds and it would probably effect the whole board.

Just my 02.

1shot

19. chopped

chopped

I pitched in two of the last three years. This year things are a little tight so I didn't, if you don't like it you can K.M.A.

20. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Fuckin A. :cool:

21. 61TBird

61TBird

$49.98 to go....:D

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

many people have reasons for not being an alliance member. I was one until maybe 2 weeks ago. I let it lapse due to the fact that I am unemployed and have a new baby. My personal thought is to pay the bills and keep my family fed first.

I am going back to work tonight so if it lasts for a couple of weeks I will be back in a position to where I can renew my Alliance membership that I have had from the start, and not even used.

Everyone has a reason for not being a member, unless you are willing to start supporting people so they can have the extra $50 to get one, don't worry about everyone else.

23. RichG

RichG

I joined this forum last December, sick in bed and totally depressed. While the Hamb alone hasn't been responsible for the turn around in my life, it certainly has been a help. I'll be kicking up my 50 here shortly now that I have it again:D

As far as the original poster goes, I get what you're saying. People come here to make a buck, so why not kick in a little for the opportunity? Nobodies saying you have too, nobodies gonna piss on you if you don't, but hey, why not? Free is free only up to a certain point and then it becomes something else. If I was sustaining myself financially to a certain degree through the use of this board then I would feel some responsibility to make sure I gave something for the opportunity. But, BUT, that's just me, you operate on your own principles. I'm going to join because this joint kept me from falling into a worse depression than I already had, and it helped get my head straight with myself and other things.

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I hear 100% what your saying but ............You just joined the Alliance and that was a pitch line in you add to sell the Thames ,,The point is valid but the selfrightousness is not.

.Many folks buy and sell on here kinda working with each other to do what they do with cars..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378764

25. I signed on just to buy with the discount. That was my mistake. I spend several hours a day on this site. I get to give my opinions whether the person likes it are not. Man ! thats gotta be worth $50 to me....................Just got my new 2009 tag. I will advertise for Ryan and this site. IMHO

26. Ahh.. a little payback for my response on the PM you sent me on trades huh?
    It has nothing to do with being selfrightouse.
    Let me just say the whole reason for me starting this thread was after being on this site, for a few years, I have just joined as a member this morning.
    Yes , that was what I had promised if I sold the vehicle here. I posted that in the ad because as I was listing it..well, I admit..I felt a little guilty, making money off the HAMB which I had previously been using for free.
    Now...that doesn't mean I will automatically renew next year. I may not have the bucks at that time, we'll see. But I did now because of the successful sale.
    I wasn't suggesting anything other than if you feel the same way I did when you post your'e ad, and you collect the cash... Why not do the same. Join

27. Nocero

Nocero

I'll tell you what I will not buy from any member on here who advertizes in the classifieds that is not a alliance member. I've dealt with several alliance members and all transactions have been good. I dealt with one non member and got boned.

Especially ones who sell tons of stuff bumping peoples ads down while they are bringing ten or twenty of their ads up and don't have the respect to flip a fifty to Ryan but don't mind giving ebay there cash.

If you are on a tight budget, out of work, just starting a family thats cool if $$ is tight but the ones that are using the site as a tool for their buisness I guarantee that you will not get my money if you are not an alliance member.

Now I don't think anyone should be pressured or shamed into donating, I'd rather deal with a member who gave out of respect for what the site has given them that helps me to determine a bit of someones character.

28. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I'm trying to sell this '36 Chevy (link in sig)...If I could sell it, Well then I could finally reach my dream of becoming an Alliance Member...So what do ya say? Send $600 my way, and $50 to Ryan for my membership? That way when you buy my car...You'll know it's for a good cause..

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Goodnight Gracey :p

30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Join the alliance you know you want to. Not directed at anyone but everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.