Register now to get rid of these ads!

grancor heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rogg49, Jun 5, 2009.

1. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

i came across some grancor heads today i was wondering why dont i see many of them are they that rare or do they jus suck and i was wondering what would be a reasonable price for them because i might buy them

2. racer5c

racer5c

they are pretty rare get them if you can

3. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Here they are on mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were $450 last year, good deal?

4. Of course you know they were produced by the Granatelli brothers. I picked up a set many years ago at Carlisle or Hershey, mainly because they were rare. I think they were as good as any of the other brands that were on the market in the 50's, but Andy had many projects back in those days, and I thing the parts business took a back seat to their racing and other business ventures.
    As with any Flathead heads, it they have extensive corrosion or warpage, their just wall hanges, but pretty neat ones.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think they advertized them in the late 1940's CT News, and Andy ran them on one of his INDY cars in the late '40's.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Here is their old logo:

[​IMG]

7. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Do you make this decal?

8. Muttley

Muttley

I dont make any decals, they are all new old stock. That one is from my personal stash.

9. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

5150 western: Car Qwest there now but appears appears to be the old building. My minds racing with what that building look like back in the day. google search it.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This letter listing the heads was post marked 1947.

11. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

That's a cool piece of history... If someone sold me a brand new Stromberg for 20 bucks, I'd have a hard time not kissing them on the mouth. :D

12. whiteyford

whiteyford

here are mine, heard they are rare. just saw this manifold on egay for 800. grab em. andy granatelli is opening up a museum and is currently trying to round up old parts, cool stuff in my opinion, and there are always chicago guys lookin to grab that stuff

Attached Files:

13. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

I have a set of the heads and an intake that I am tempted to put on my '40 Ford. But the thing thats rather mysterious to me is that on the intake the two outer carbs are Stromberg 97's, cool, but the center is an old Rochester 2 barrel, like off a GTO tri power set-up. Funky to say the least. Sadly, I don't have the linkage. Does anyone have this set-up running on their car? Photos? Thanks, Will

14. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

there is an adaptor available for the 4 to 3 bolt which would lift up the carb about 2 or 2 1/2". I have one in my pile somewhere. linkage would be interesting but you could use 2" risers for the other 2 carbs to level them all out.

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

If you dont want em , I do !!!!!!

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The fact that the Rochester carb fits is a coincidence. I believe that it was designed to use the Stromberg 4 bolt WW carb that was used on Studebakers and some other make engines in the early 50s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. I would love to find a set of those heads for my brothers flatty!

18. 2eyed1940will

2eyed1940will
    from new york

Ah, the plot thickens! A Stromberg WW carb from a Studebaker. Man oh man I really don't know much at all, thanks everyone for taking the time. 31Acoupe, thanks for the insight on the adaptors. I was getting a little mystified. I like the thought of leaving my '40 kinda crusty with funky/bizarre engine goodies. We'll see.