Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

or "is that a ranchero"....its an el camino dumbass!!..

2. nailheadrod

nailheadrod

Last summer i tried selling my '51 buick 2door hardtop, an older couple came and looked at it. it needed totally restored, solid car, and i thought i priced it resonably. they thought my price was high and they compared it to how much they paid for their '49 and '50 4 door Kaisers and their '74 Lincoln Mark?. so replied, well you bought a 4 door Kaiser, thats why it was so cheap. i am 25 yrs old, and the wife tells me that maybe i'm too young to appreciate old cars. so this is what i had sitting at my house; in front of the buick was sitting my '55 chevy post 2 lane blacktop styled car, in the driveway was my roommates '67 farelane and '47 chrysler 3 window business coupe and in the garage i had my '30 Ford Tudor hot rod thats my profile pic.
    after dealing with them i said, fuck it, and started building the buick.
    so i guess i have to work on appreciating old cars.

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

When I was fifteen, riding shotgun with my father in my soon-to-be-mine 50 Plymouth, the 'top' mechanic at our regular gas station told me tha it was impossible to put a V8 in that car.

One year later, I drove that same car in with a 283/T-10 tranny installed, and I asked that same top gun to check the oil. He almost crapped his pants when he opened the hood.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

is it real?

(meaning is it steel?)

5. johnny 5

johnny 5
    from Missouri

That's sure a nice old panhead, what year is it? (about my 1979 FX custom and anybody with functional eyes can see it's a shovel)

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

If some of these people making stupid statements would ask about what kind of engines or cars that people have,they might actually learn something. You look a lot smarter admitting you don't know everything and asking about it,then opening your mouth and making a fool out of yourself arguing out of your ass claiming you do.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to be the ONLY person around that does not call my '29A closed-cab pickup a roadster. I have long since given up trying to change their minds. At least I got them to stop calling it a T.

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

One of our club members has a very nice A roadster... just like you said kids climb on the running boards all the time. Once I walked back to the cars to get a water from the cooler and there where two kids in the seat acting like they are driving and the parents where standing right there watching. I lost it, I screamed get out of that car and I looked at the dumb ass ( deer in the headlights) parents and said "keep your kids out of peoples cars" !! Shit! It wasn't my car but I was just as pissed...

9. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

mine's a 26 T coupe and it gets called a T-bucket all the time-----also,why doesn't it have a rumble seat?

10. I was working on my truck today, and there was this guy, friend of mine's uncle that happens to be the body-guru in town. Or at least that's what my friend thinks.

So he asked me what size my motor was and I told him it's a 425 Oldsmobile.
    And than he: So what would that be compared to Chevy, like a 427???

WTF??

11. doctorZ

doctorZ

i said the exact same thing to someone. my excuse: i was 10 at the time. rather than mocking me, the owner sat me down and talked to me and answered a pile of questions. i don't remember who he was or even what car it was, but it was a huge influence on me.
    -drZ

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He must have been a cool guy DoctorZ, but you had an excuse being 10. Granted the wider society isn't exactly Hot Rod guru's but they could at least come to a show armed with a little more thought?
    Doc.

13. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I guess it's always easier to ridicule than to educate. I know I don't know everything and am appreciative of those that take the time to teach. On the other hand there will always be the douche that knows all.

14. bonesy

bonesy

I have no problem when someone gets the year, make, body stlye, engine wrong on one my cars. The general public just doesn't know. I'm with model-a-fan, help nicely educate them.

I just don't like the "you shoulda" car guys want to argue about what it is or should be. I had a '47 Ford with a '51 hard top grafted on. I had a guy that almost wanted to fight me because he KNEW it was an early 50's Chevrolet hardtop. Ugh.

15. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

Get out of my 51 chevy at a gas station and a man walks up and says" at first glance i thought this was a chevy, turns out its an Oldsmobile"

16. BCR

BCR

Why did you weld a 50 Chrysler business coupe roof on that 40 Ford?

Ask about the stock roof 39 Merc in my avitar.

I laughed.

17. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Do you drive it? How in the hell do you think I got it here?

18. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Yea Racer190...The old Flatty with six pipes always throws them. I tell them it was a experimental V6 from a fire truck with two spare cylinders incase two fail! They walk away scratchin thier craniums!

19. I had a judge at the World of Wheels here in Phoenix AZ was going and take points of my 1952 Split Window VW because he had seen a dent in the middle of the roof near the windshield. I had herd him say this so I decided to let him know what the dent was all about. I told him that early VW had this somewhat dent on the center front of the roof as a radio antenna mount . I than told him you may want to remember this next time you judge an early VW. I also told him why would of I forgotten to fill out this dent prior to painting it. He than told me I'll go ahead and erase this comment I made on my judging sheet. I told him Thanks.

Frenchy ( Doc Detail )

20. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

my 29 sedan gets callled'' an old roadster'' alot and ive heard it called a station wagon

21. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i always get "izzat a 57?" while in the 55 chevy.

one time i was asked "is that a 56 or a 57?" and i said "YEP!"

someone asked if my rally wheels were stock 55's

overheard a kid say at a car show "wow all the 55-57 chevies here are bel airs!" as he was standing next to a 210 55 2 door.

i've also heard MANY people crowding around hamb member leadsledmerc's 37 chevy ask "what happened to (or where are) the back wheels?" (fenderskirts) or "can he drive this??" (air bags were dumped)

22. i love the "you need some rims man!"

do they think the tyres just float in thin air or somethin?

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Ok I told someone I had changed from 13 inch wheels to 14, the comment was "you can' do that!! it puts too much load on the wheel bearings and your wheels will fall off!!!!" :rolleyes:

24. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

yesterday a lady? ask me if my car was a kit car--I told her no that it was an original 26T body,but everything else has been changed----she looked at me and said They didn't have cupholders in 1926 so it can't be the original body????

25. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

It's been a few years since I had my 55 Chevy wagon, but it was always refered to as a Nomad. Seems like people think all 55 -57 Chevy wagons are Nomads.

26. Had a guy tell me that my engine sounded more like a SB CHEVY than an OLDS... I'm running a 312" FORD Y-Block. Before I could my jaw off the ground to respond he had left.

Great thread by the way SOHC427, some really entertaining stories...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  27. ShortBus

ShortBus

Sitting at a red light in my 60 Olds one day and the guy in the other lane yells, "Hey, what year is your Cadillac?"
    Me, deciding to have some fun: '91
    Him: That car's not a '91!
    Me: This car's not a Cadillac.

The rest are standard: Nice Edsel, Cool Impala Bro, Sweet Buick, etc.

My fave was the guy who was telling me his "brother had a '60 Super88 back in the day and when he dropped the trans into 'Super' it was real fast."
    "Super?", I ask.
    "Yeah, the S on the shifter stands for Super."

28. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

NAW that guy had it all wrong
    L--stands for Leap
    D---stands for Drag
    R--stands for RACE!

can't figure out why my tranny keeps
    breaking---must be made in China:eek::D:D:D

29. DrJ

DrJ

Actually, Oldsmobile did call the "S" range "SUPER" not just "second".
    Our old (for a ricer) '96 Civic HX calls it "SPORT RANGE" :cool:

30. ShortBus

ShortBus

I'll buy that John. S on that Hydramatic is actually 3rd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.