Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch help. 55 235 inline six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelaratrod, Aug 1, 2009.

1. How this go together??? clutch disk direction the engine is a 55 235 in a 48 chevy Fleetline so the clutch could be for the 235 or the 216?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

the tag that says "REBUILT F" should say "REBUILT FLYWHEEL SIDE" but the end got torn off. The pic on the right has it how it should be

3. Thanks Squirrel.....

4. Snarl

Snarl

barring proper identification, you would want to look at the hub and put the side that sicks out the most away from the flywheel, otherwise it will likely contact the flywheel bolts.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That advice applies to LONG type clutches , BUT this is a BORG style . On Borgs the hub nose goes to the flywheel, the extended spring side Will hit the flywheel bolts. Learned THAT 50 years ago on a 54 Chevy the hard way !!

6. Snarl

Snarl

I wasn't talking about the nose, I was referring to the hub, the part with the springs in it.
    Just like the picture on the right, as squirrel said...

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Look at the left pic it has the direction tag on it. I'm sure Squirrel mis-spoke re left/ right. Ya put it in with the springs as in the RIGHT pic to the flywheel on a Chevy you WILL be hitting the flywheel bolts. BTDT!!

8. squirrel

squirrel

I did not mis speak. The one on the left has the tag that says "flywheel side" and notice the tag is AWAY from the flywheel, it needs to be towards the flywheel...as in the picture on the right.

The spring hub sticks out into the clutch pressure plate. Away from the flywheel bolts.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

OOOPS !! MY feeble brain was not proscessing what you said ,rather it was proscessing what I THINK you were saying. Sorry !!