Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A new Hemi for the Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spoons, Aug 1, 2009.

1. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I've had this model a for 10 years. It had a nice 350/350 combo that served me well but it was time to try something new.
    For the last 8 months, I've been building a 55' Desoto 291. This is the 1st Hemi I've ever dealt with and to say it was trying was an understatement.
    But my Prize is now done..and Running!!!
    It was fired and broke in with the Holley 600 4bbl for now..I have 2 94's on a Tardel intake that will go on it shortly..
    It will now go over to the chassis side of the shop for repair (Broke ladder bars last year coming home from Cinematic)and updates...

Spoons:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. I dig the four barrel set up you have. Set it and forget it. Would look awesome with one of those big Hellings and Stellings air cleaners. Nice car!

3. 73RR

73RR

Very Nice !

4. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

By the way,this hemi sounds Grrrrrrreat...........!

5. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

6. jealous over here

7. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Awesome! Just got my second '56 330 going, full rebuild. I feel your pain man!!

8. Fenders

Fenders

Ooooh I to am pullin a 291 outa this... but where are the wire covers on your valve covers?

Attached Files:

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

That's a stock 2bbl manifold w/ an adapter plate

Already have one of those air cleaners.. It's on the wife's truck now..

10. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

No wire covers...Old set of Top Fuel covers I found @ the swap. Made my own tube washers to fit 426 boots

11. I like the wire covers off better anyways, looks bitchin

12. I dont undersatnd why people say building a Hemi is a "trying" expericence.

I mean, parts are available,(even for Desotos, hell Im building one too) and they're just a V8with pistons, rings, bearings, and the same machining/rebuilding procedures are used as with any V8.

What gives?

Rat

13. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Most of the time it's the machine shop woes that were the problem here..
    (Block overbored) send it back out to do it again
    Add a set of stuck lifters on the drivers side of the block( the wouldn't slide back down the bores after lift) had to destroy 2 just to get them back out
    Shitty Parts from Hot Heads...as usual

Yeah you can buy pistons rings and bearings
    No Cams, no intakes, Alot of custom made stuff on that motor....

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I have NO IDEA What Gives Man .....

With the exception of you have to LOOK for an intake, They are just as easy as a Fuckin 350 Chevy.

2 things i have to say ::

1) You NEED a new Machine Shop ... How do you Re-Bore an OVER Bored Bolock ?

2) Why do people STILL Fuck Around with Hot Heads ?

Every thing i have got from them Has been Shit except for my Chrome Dip Stick & the only reason i bought ANYTHING was i needed it in a Hurry.

They even screwed me on that, I asked for them to send it Priority 2 day mail & the sent it 7 day UPS... :confused:

15. I have to say that a Hemi really looks at home in your car. I can't wait to see it with the other induction setup in place.

16. FINALLY, one of us got our DeSoto running!...:D

17. Cool steup.
    I really like the old Desoto's,,,great running engines.
    Your's really looks great!
    I hope to be able to finish my 291 next year,,( money shortage),,at the moment.
    You can find a lot of parts if you are patient and can figure out what parts from other brands to use to save money.

Very cool ride!!!

Tommy

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

2 things i have to say ::

1) You NEED a new Machine Shop ... How do you Re-Bore an OVER Bored Bolock ?

2) Why do people STILL Fuck Around with Hot Heads ?

Every thing i have got from them Has been Shit except for my Chrome Dip Stick & the only reason i bought ANYTHING was i needed it in a Hurry.

They even screwed me on that, I asked for them to send it Priority 2 day mail & the sent it 7 day UPS... :confused:[/QUOTE]

1) Don't need a new machine shop. Need people to READ the instructions in the piston box. Wall clearance on cast piston is .0025. He thought (I guess )they were forged.
    The fix... 2 ways..... Re-sleeve the whole block
    Knurl pistons to fit the bore
    All other Machine work (everything but the block) went to Millett Racing engines. He did all my work for me when I was running the Super Classes and I never had anything go bad from him. His history goes back to Modified Production days and his cars were record holders...
    Yes I should have sent him the block as well, but my buddie who helped me said his guy could handle the block chores without a problem..
    2) I only spent $300.00 from HH, and the main thing I needed was the Timing cover to convert to SBC water pump.
    a)
    The Brass freeze plugs were SHIT.... had to replace 2 after startup
    Didn't need the oil by-pass valve he sold me (291 is a full oiler)
    Sold me a 45 degree oil filter adapter (Which fit) but couldn't use because of the nuts on the Freeze plugs wouldn't let you put the filter on..

98% of the parts were from EGGE and I would buy form them again.

I Knew when I started this project that I was the only guy doing the SBC conversion and advice would be minimal.

Thanks to 73RR here on the hamb for advice and direction (GARY)
    Thanks to Dave Pleasant @ Quality Machine For making the dream come allive and making small problems an ez fix....

Spoons

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looks good. I wish I had that in my Plymouth.

20. Hemis are the best looking motor to me.

21. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Thanks Tommy, I did just what you said during the build-up(took 8 months). I found out alot of Chrysler stuff fit and used things from an available poly-motor to confirm interchangability

22. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

23. Awesome! What transmission did you put behind the hemi?

24. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Already had a good working 350 turbo, so I made the adapter plate, flywheel, etc. I put a 10" 3200 convertor behind it...

25. blackout

blackout

Sure looks good. Congrats on sticking with it and seeing it through.

26. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

I think you proved De Soto's point. Guy can't read.

Awsome car...

27. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Thanks for the comment....
    You expect people to do just that when doing machine work, but like everything else, errors occur...
    I know if I made Propeller parts like that, I'd be looking for another job or planes would be falling out of the sky. But He took care of the error and it now runs.....

Even guys that are in business for years make a mistake now and then, but it seemed as all mistakes happened while Building this particular one..

All is good, and I hope the rest of you Desoto guys get yours running soon...
    Spoons:)