Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. bennettamx

bennettamx

I dig the hub cap treatment. Something not seen very often.

2. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

"CRAP, not more merc project pics!!!!! Yep, here are a few more. Sorry if you are bored with them, let me know."
    :mad:
    Don't be stupid.... "bored" if someone is bored reading your post or looking at the photos you post.... then they can go pound sand.
    Your posts are extremely valuable to guys wanting to learn how to do things THE RIGHT WAY!

Nice job on trimming the two outer DeSoto teeth! The whole build is coming along great!
    So how did you "fix" your caps to stay on the rims? __Trout

3. No explanation, just a few with the merc out side today. Made the lower radiator hose out of 2" stainless and elbows from a dairy farm. Fan temp wired for a quick drive.

Attached Files:

4. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Great looking Merc you have there Ether, I had a 5.0 EFI in an early Ford pickup that I used to have. Probably the most dependable.. best sounding engines I've ever owned.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well look at you go. You damn near have it licked. I remember when that car was half a car over here, another half a car laying over there and a few extra doors in a pile too...

Nice work, -Abone.

PS. You are gonna have her ready for the HAMB Drags, yes?????

6. Awesome as always. What is the width of your radiator and fans?

7. Abone, I sure would like to go to the drags. The merc runs strong and with the programable trans controller I would like to see what it does!! That would be great seeing this sled rolling down the quarter. We'll have to see. But one thing, my merc wasnt quite as bad as the one you started with, just a different approach.

Prostock, I used a radiator from Summitt. Their brand with 22" W X 19" H and 2 1/4" D. I used one that was of Ford configured and had to revert to a GM and make a crossover pipe out of 2" stainless tubing. That worked out better in the long run. I had to weld the side angles to mount to the Merc rad support as well as the brackets for the A/C condencer. As for the fan it was a package deal, radiator, fan, shroud, contoller. For the price it was the way to go.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Ether, what's you plan for the backs of the inner fenderwells (by the firewall)? Yours look just like mine, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to finish them off.

9. I plan to extend the inner fender walls to the firewall with a removable panel. I am hoping to hide some of the engine controls and A/C components. I will be making access plates to cover the vent duct holes. That will come down the line a bit. I will keep you posted.

10. Working on a 34 Tudor and a trip out to the LA Roadster Show, there is not much time for the Merc. I have been tinkering with a few small drivablity issues and have them worked out. One of the biggest problems was the radiator in and outlets. I ended up nixing the first radiator and went for a chevy configured in and outlet set up. Using dairy farm stainless steel 2" tubing, a cross tube was made to get the Ford V8 connected to the GM style inlet.

Also, A little messaging on the 51 bumper brackets to get some tire clearence since I sucked the bumper in tight. A little luck and we took he out for a cruize. No window but a crapload of fun!!!!!

Now for the good $#!T, I went to a good buddies house and he was going to scrap all this 49 Merc sheetmetal in the last photos. Truck and trailer load. Saved it all and for FREE, that crap doesnt happen everyday!!!!

Until anouther day, ETHER

By the way, The last pic is of the NOS factory 51 Merc skirt I bought at the LARS for a wallet emptying 25.00 and had it signed by Gene Winfield and George Barris. One bitchin shop wall hanger, not to mention an expensive one!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Just looks like any other Ford Explorer motor to me.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Ether, Excellent. Thanks for posting about your Merc and your overpriced autographed Merc skirt. :)

13. Well, looks like Im having to sleep in the shop tonight. I drug this one home and putting it up for a later build. Telling the wife its for her didnt go over too well. The Vicky is a good friend of mines. He bought it from the same buddy of ours. His is a bit solider than mine ("SOLIDER" damn I think I just made a new word!) We got into a LITTLE trouble at his house with his bride also. What the crap, it must be the moon??????

Attached Files:

14. :)I'd sleep in the shed if there's 2x mercs in there.....:D

Cheers,

Drewfus

15. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Very nice work Ether. Looks like you might be close to my parents house. Wouldn't mind stopping by and seeing the Merc in person.

16. Drewfus, I'de be lieing to ya if I told ya I didnt sleep in the shed last night!!!!!

Shop has an open door policy, HAMBers welcome anytime. Chad

17. bennettamx

bennettamx

You havent even finished the other one yet!?!?!?!LMAO

18. Workin the bugs out.....and on the road!

After Dixie Fried its off with the front clip for blast and prime. Then the bodywork begins,,,,,,,,Abone,,,,didnt you say you werent busy?????

Attached Files:

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't look at me..I still haven't recovered from the last one of those...

She looks great..it's hard to belive from where she came.

See ya, -Abone.

20. I was wondering if your fingertips grew back yet.....

Thanks for the complement, It has been a while and quite a road but no where yours started from. I had a pretty solid fourdoor to start with, you had a can-a-worms, but did an awesome job!

Biggest issue I have is color, Ide paint it black if I didnt plan on driving the hell out of it. So many are going dark blue like Terrys car and everything I have is red........DAMN..

21. williebill

williebill

Love this thread and your car..looks great

22. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

I was rollin down I-75 about 6:15am the other day and saw a Merc just like that one! Nice to see a sight like that on the way into work. Bet me and you was the only ones in HotRods in that traffic. Gota get by your shop one of these days. -Mike

23. Flat Black with red rims and whitewalls... weren't they "all" like that back in the day? :D

Seriously though, after Dixie Fired your stripping it down? So what are you bringing to the RWYB 2K9?

Todd

24. Mike, I thought the same thing when I seen your merc on the road. Two old school cars on the road and both Mercs!!!!! Made my day to see ya that morning!!!.

Welcome to stop by anytime, HAMBers always welcome!!!

Todd, All the stuff on my plate, I may not get the merc apart in time for RWYB so it might be there!!!!

I have a serious build coming my way and I need to get on it as soon as it comes, a black chopped 40 Willys that was campanged in the 60's by the Grist brothers, same one that is in the book about gassers. Ill be posting some updates here as we go, cool history and ride!!!!!!

See ya at Dixie Fried!!

25. Woohoo!!! That's awesome, man. I'm totally stoked for ya. Nothing better than driving your merc out and about just cuz ya can (unless it's two mercs out at the same time!). I drive the stink out of mine and wonder why folks don't get their stuff out and enjoy it? :)

Have you thought about dark green...like Sam Barris' or maybe even a smidge darker? Mine is a '95-ish Ford green, similar to Sam's in shade, but with a fair amount of metallic. I like it good enough ('ceptin' for the ghost flames), but a little darker would look real nice, I think. Another off the wall thought is dark copper/brown. I saw a brand new (09) Toyota SUV the other day that had the coolest brown/bronze color on it. It might would look real nice on a merc....

26. Drdave, I have tossed around a few green colors. Seafoam was one of them as was a dark gree like Barris'. Right now im torn between a few reds and a blue with the lingering thought of BLACK!!! It just never goes out of style!! I keep an eye out for the Toy SUV though, lots of nice colors on the new stuff out.

27. holy mackeroly - looks great - just caught up with this BITCHIN MERC

28. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

would you be interested in selling that 49 upper grill opening panel i like the 49 /50 alot better that the 51 plus mine was wrtecked at one time and is pretty sad ?

29. Sorry but I am planning on using it on my other 51 Merc build. I think I know your merc, was it sitting in a boneyard in El Margodo, NM (spelling?)

30. Thanks Josh....I havent forgotten about you and the 32. Just trying to get caught up with other builds. See ya at Dixie Fried!!!!!