Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many people would be interested in 5on5 spider caps???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckystiff, Oct 22, 2004.

1. luckystiff

luckystiff

ok in talking with the guy i get my lincoln buttons from we got to talking about how he is having several other things repoped. packard lights and such. i asked what he thaught about repop spiders but in superior quality and in non available patterns. we talked about the poor quality of the repops out now and are curious what interest in good repops would be. as far a price it would be higher than the current ones probably by a good bit. he's gonna talk to his machinist and see what they might cost to do in stainless. i know that would make the price a bit higher but the quality would offset that abit in my opinion. there would have to be a certain demand to really even look to deep into it but i think it could be a possiblity. what do you think a good set of spiders in quality stainless(ask the guys who have gotten buttons from me about the quality) would be worth. i know original nos spiders in the common patterns bring big money so...ken....

2. caddyman65

caddyman65

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'd be interested, but to tell the truth i would'nt pay what they are asking for the repops. i think they are WAY over priced for what they are. not to knock the quality of what your guy would make. i'm sure it would be worth the cost, but it is too rich for my blood. i'd rather spend a few days makin my own rather than spend $300+. just my thoughts.

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

make some cheap plastic ones and I'll buy em...haha

5. Crease

Crease

I've always thought they were pretty expensive already.

How about 50 Lincoln tail lights?

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

KB,
    yeah i know where you're coming from. on both issues. if you've got the skills then i'd say make 'em. can't be overly hard as it's 5 small bullets and one large and two plates basiclly. there are just ons of people without the skill just wondering if it would be a worth while product to look into. i know people are steady buying the current repops and complaing on the quality. hell i'm actually a big fan of bluntnose spiders with spinners and ain't nobody gonna make 'em. either way the operation would be small. just doing a little thinking in my free time...ken....

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

When I spotted your title I was interested, but the current repops are way more than they are worth as is, so I wouldn't pay any more. I couldn't see paying more than $50 for a set, even that's too much [​IMG]

In the tech section there is even a how to of making your own, but the pictures don't load any more. I guess they are too old?

8. If you have them for different patterns, I would be interested. Let me know what you come up with.

9. luckystiff

luckystiff

auto s,
    are you serious or on crack or what. i've collected cal custom stuff half my 32 years on this planet. back when hardly anyone wanted 'em a good set would still go for more than $50. saw a set nos in the box a coupla years ago hit a grand and two guys were fighting over 'em at that. jeez i'm cheap but...ken....

10. Hey Ken -- if the quality is anything like the Lincoln buttons, you should have no problema finding a market. The buttons just arrived today and they are absolutely bitchen -- I swear they look like they belong on some NASA spacecraft. Your machinist really knows what he's doing. Send my compliments to the chef [​IMG]

11. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

If they are a reasonable price, I would be down.

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

[ QUOTE ]
    auto s,
    are you serious or on crack or what. i've collected cal custom stuff half my 32 years on this planet. back when hardly anyone wanted 'em a good set would still go for more than $50. saw a set nos in the box a coupla years ago hit a grand and two guys were fighting over 'em at that. jeez i'm cheap but...ken....

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say, I'm seriously cheap! That price can almost get me my flathead aluminum heads, which i could use a lot more than spider caps at this point. Maybe in a few years when I'm further along and money isn't as tight I can spring for a set. They sure are cool...

13. kustomd

kustomd

Hey guys what if I was to tell you last weekend I saw a set of QUALITY repop spiders for 180$ a set? Would you be interested? I know a vender who just started carrying some right now he showed them to me with the small chevy pattern which is what I need but he said they would be getting the ford patterns also.

And these looked pretty good to me at least the display one did. It was actually kinda heavy it looked like the bullets and the whole thing were cast together at one time then plated. Next time anyone has a hankerin to call NIGHT PROWLERS ask gary about em he showed me them. And 180 bones sounds a whole lot better than 300+ If you don't know who they are PM me and I can get the number for you.

14. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Depending on price Im in

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Ok, I've (obviously) never had a real set, so if they are one piece how do they go on?

Also, I would need the big 5x5.5 ford pattern, as I'm sure others would.

16. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

What about the little rings that matched original spider caps? does anyone sell them still or is there a chance to have them repopped?

17. ray

ray
    from colorado

i need a set in the WIDE VW bolt pattern.

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be interested.

The Linc PB's were fantastic, so if the spyders are the same quality, I'm definitely interested.

19. kustomd

kustomd

The price I was told was $180 dollars a set. So far I new he had the chevy bolt pattern but I don't know about the fords or other patterns.

They attach with rings that you put behind your lugnuts when you bolt the rims back on. then they go over the lugnuts and I think have small screws that go through the outter spiders into the inner rings. Does that make any sense? Clear as mud? They are suppose to be like the original spiders. And they look just like the ones I have seen at swap meets.

20. ls7gto

ls7gto

looking for some 5on5s here . a buck /80 is more than fair ...if they are decent.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

5 years later here we go...

I think that you can get them from vaphead (Riley Auto)

22. flat34pu

flat34pu

:cool:yeah, 5on5 1/2