Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Interpretation Of a "Poor Man's" Bomber Seat....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enbloc, Aug 2, 2006.

1. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Great idea, looks really cool!

2. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

You can add some brass groments if you like that kind of thing. I like those bomber or dragster seats that have the vinyl with the groment holes to let your back breath.

3. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Just type "bomber seat" in the search engine. Its the first thing to come up. Thanks so much for the many idea's on thise thread. If you don't mind... I'll be using them on my truck :cool:

4. wow. looks cool. hmmn thought i saw the exact same thing on jimmy shines truck on that so cal speed shop t.v. show..... anyone else see it????

5. luvzccr

luvzccr

i saw that, i thought it was a great idea, cheap, inexpensive, looks great, its cool, the color is great, i like how jimmy's was buttoned on though, or snapped on or whatever.. ingenious stuff

6. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I saw it to......You know its cool when Jimmy Shine follows your idea!!!

7. Firecracker

Firecracker

looks sweet. I wish I could round up some seatbelts for my old bomber bench seat.

8. slepe67

slepe67

I am bringing up an old thread here...I just scored two AH-1 Cobra seats. They're Kevlar & Fiberglass, complete with harnesses. (Not too bad for free, I guess that is one good thing about having access to a HUGE bombing range. Hey, they're gonna blow it up anyways, so, I figured I would limit collateral damage, and shrapnel hazard by removing them, as well as a few control rods with heim joints, and a few bubble and access panels.) They sit pretty high, was thinking of shaving them down to fit.

Then I found this thread, dude that bench is AWESOME! I also read this months R & C, and there was a car inthere with a steel bench, much like the bomber seats being remade these days. Got the brain working overdrive again.

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Dang Ryan (Teach'm), I know this is an old post but those seats you posted are BEAUTIFUL!
    Are those from Garth?

AND, one response about those seats!?
    Once again, HAMBers looking more like fussy old collectors as opposed to skilled craftsmen.
    At least with L. Rollers seats, they were carefully reconstructed to their, NOW gorgeous appearance.

BTW, I love the Brit canvas tent seats, clever.

10. Zeke

Zeke

Love the seats man. Nice work on the cheap.

11. phukinartie

phukinartie

12. irace2win41

irace2win41

Love it. Great idea. Personally, I like the "bomber" seats. Build what you like...it doesn't matter what other people like. ;) If they want to have an opinion about your car then they can buy it first!! :D

13. mow too much

mow too much

Yes what he said, I always say build what you like, thats all that matters. Oh, by the way my opinion is, it really looks good. :D

14. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

While I don't think these are as cool as the tent seats, but I thought I'd show another "on the cheap" approach for period roadster seats. Materials 2 1950's naugahyde covererd rec room chairs. See pic. Previously used for shop buddies to sit on Now they can sit on tires. Old hardwood door casing from home remodel job. Bit of new 5/8 plywood. Some wide steel banding The bottoms were wrapped over foam covered plywood with a wooden bolster towards the front edge. The rears are over wood framing with the steel banding straps substituting for the rubber on the orig chairs. I used a 7 deg back angle for a reason . With the dished banding behind the rear cushions it is very comfortable on my lower back. The under seat storage boxes are real handy The original single bomber seat which I could never find a mate to was donated to my buddies survivor 32 2door gasser.

Attached Files:

15. PureC4

PureC4

Love this idea, but on the side of a little safety; Any ideas on how to make it as strong as possibe? 3/4" cabinet plywood would give it a good base to start with and looks, dowled/biscuits, maybe some flat steel bands? Carriage bolts through bands to mount seat tracks to prevent pull through???

16. Moonglow

Moonglow

Yes I would use carriage bolts (with loc-tight) and brackets for sure, with no screws. I would not use biscuits or dowels and glue, as they will come loose with all the movement you get in a car.

I think 1/2" cabinet grade ply would be plenty strong enough and be 1/3 ligher than 3/4". It looks like the ones in the photos are made from 1/2" ply.

PS: How are things back in TN. I moved out to NM about 2 years ago, from Knoxville. I miss the NATS show in May, big time. :cool: