Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a good recommendation for self etching primers in a can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I'm almost done sanding down the imperfections on the small parts I'm putting on my Caddy,so that means I need to do some paint(Only temporary until I'm ready to strip it all down and have a complete paint job done).I'm just trying to match what's already on the car,and I don't care if it's perfect,because it's only temporary,so I'm going the rattle can route.Anyone have any recommendations for a good self etching primer in a rattle can?Also maybe a decent automotive grade clear in a rattle can?

2. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

valspar sells there acid etch in a rattle can ..good stuff ..its a sick barf looken green ..

3. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

The 'Specialty' line by PPG is some good shit. Used it at my shop and the shop i just recently worked at. Highly recomended!

4. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I've used PPG & Valspar, both with great success.

5. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

i found some epoxy primer in a can...i like it better than the self etch, but the epoxy has a 1 day pot life...

6. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

s.e.m products has a good self etch in a can. also comes in different colors.......................john

7. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Where can I get S.E.M.?Is it something I can pick up at the local parts store or do I have to go to an automotive paint shop?

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Eastwood has a good self etch primer in a can

10. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

Glasurit (sic) makes a red oxide self etching primer in a buzz can. I used to use it on any broken edges right before rolling a complete into the booth...Stuff worked great, good holdout and looked like old fashioned red oxide lacquer primer. I'm sure you'd need to get it at an automotive paint store...I didn't know SEM made self etching primer in a can, or i would have tried it, cuz the rest of their product lines are top notch!

11. I've been using Duplicolor Self Etch. I don't know what the long term answer is, so I won't say it's the right stuff to use. Just an option.

12. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

I've also used the sem etch primer. Good stuff, costs about $20 a can but seems to have about twice as much in it than the run of the mill primer in a spray can. I have seen it online but mostly autobody supply stores sell it locally here.

13. brandon

brandon

upol has some in a can....worked pretty good for a small job

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Napa has a martin senour in a can that's top notch. Lots of the stores only have it behind the counter. $11 a can Yikes!!

15. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I second the U-POL products. The weld thru primer works GREAT!

16. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Picked up SEM Self Etching gray primer yesterday and already started spraying parts.It goes on smooth and clean.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  17. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

I use Dupont. requires good ventilation; fumes are ...ugh.

18. Duplicolor works fine...

19. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

So,here's what I bought,and the costs:1.Primer-SEM Self Etching Primer #39683 Gray(Works very well,$17 for a 15.5 ounce can),2.Color-Dupli-Color #T350 Light Champagne(Not bad,so far it flows well and dries smooth,$6 for 11 ounce can),3.Final Clear-Dupli-Color #T125 Clear Top Coat(Let you know how this turns out when I get to it.$6 for an 11 ounce can).So,I'll take pics of how everything turns out.I'm doing this outside with no covering,and so far I haven't had to sand any of the coats.

20. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Here's where I'm at on the headlight bucket:2 coats of primer,2 coats of paint,and on my first coat of clear,waiting to do my second coat

[​IMG]

Haven't sanded anything except for the headlight bucket down to bare metal before painting.No dust,no drips or runs,and the only waves in the paint are comparible to a factory paint job.All this was done outside in the sun(The sun makes this stuff dry pretty quick,then i bring the piece inside for inspection and to let it cool off before the next coat)

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Well,I got a few runs,but they were on the back side of the bucket where no one will see(An error made by me while spraying,wasn't paying attention to the fan pattern of the spray,and when I sprayed I went in a side to side pattern not realizing the paint was fanning out horizontally creating a few runs in the clear,so it's nothing too major).The rest that will be visible turned out great.Second coat of clear is dry.

22. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

23. J's on squares

J's on squares

sem, upol, and glasurit are probably the three top choices. most shops here in the bay area use sem.

24. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

I use SEM and Mar-Hyde. You can get either at Smart Shoppers or Autobody Toolmart.