Register now to get rid of these ads!

They should have bleachers in the shutdown area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 30, 2009.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you wouldn't catch me on that track. That is sad to see

2. cornernfool

cornernfool

Wow, looks like the shut down area needs a little work. Hard left or right after unloading the chassis off the top of the ramp. No thanks.

3. Serious pucker factor on the shutdown area.

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Holy shit! Yeah...ummm...that shut down area looks like a trap!
    shit that looks short, uneven, AND uphill.
    Screw that...:eek:

5. Magic

Magic

I'll bet they get very few return visitors. Lots of tweaked and damaged parts.

6. bigolds

bigolds

That track should never be running cars that fast!!!!! And the guys racing got what they deserved!!!! What idiots, they could easily see the short shutdown and the need to turn hard into the return lanes!!!!!

7. Well, the uphill part's actually a "good" thing.

8. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Just hit the chutes on the first yellow....that might work

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  9. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Any HAMB members race there? Looks like a stubby-ass 1/8 mile with a 400 foot shut down???? Must have been designed and built by government racing experts and health care providers.
    :cool:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. I agree. I'd guess anything over 130MPH would be way too much for those conditions. The guys that aren't wrecking are still tearing up equipment. Making it more likely to crash next time

11. I'm not a biker but are "Fred Flintstone Footbrakes" a safe technique to stop ? I haven't seen that before on NHRA TV coverage.

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

looks like they spend more time pulling cars out of the sand than they do racing!

13. The only thing that the track is good for is ricers! what a bunch of morons! I would have poked the track owner in the nose if it did that to my car!!

14. Funny shit!^^^^^^^^^

15. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I can't believe anyone kept going down the track after it was obviously no driver error that caused those mishaps.
    My life is worth a little more (like $.50) than a trophy, and whatever the purse is
    All the drivers should have banned together, and stopped that race, and not return until the safety issues were fixed

16. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I would need a 20# sledge to drive a tack in my ass. I can't believe those guys were running that hard on that track. Steven.

17. Yeah, a late chute makes it "interesting"...:D

18. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Holy Christ.

I wouldn't run my street car on that track.

19. belair

belair

That light pole needs a bullseye on it. Crazy to run on it once, plain old stupid to go down it twice.

20. 64Olds

64Olds

that track either need's a lot more shutdown added, and fixed.. or if they can't fix it. it needs closed.

21. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Yeah, I've seen this video before and it's ridiculous. Some expensive cars getting torn up and abused because of this short shut-down area. Pro-Mods DON'T BELONG at the this track. On the other hand, I see some really late chute blossoms too. That's the driver's fault. You are supposed to pulling the chute lever right before you cross the finish line. Especially here! You can't rely on brakes alone, especially on a car with such small front tires. I really feel for those motorcycle racers! You got no chute! I bet some real nice racing boots have burn holes in the soles!

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

Alot of tingling in the nether reigons and pains in the wallets!

23. Attached Files:

24. The ADRL didn't return to that track this year for obvious reasons. I don't understand why they ran there in the first place. BTW, the owner of the track sued the ADRL for breach of contract for not returning there this year.

25. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

My friend and I have raced there, but only in a 6.40 @ 104 mph Nova. The shutdown is way too short for Pro-Mods, but that strip hooks (it's all concrete).

The ADRL cancelled their Independence Day show at Radford this year in part due to the shutdown area:

http://www.motormiledragway.com/_mmd_2008/news.php?extend.124.3

Track management claims 1,550 feet of shutdown....it sure doesn't appear to be that long though.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

26. SteadyT

SteadyT

What maniac signed off on 4 second cars running there????!!!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That reminds me of Temple Academy drag strip in Texas in the late 60's and probably now if they haven't changed it. The end of the shut down road was the entrance to the track. Drum brakes didn't stop too well after three quick rounds of stock elimination.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Here's a Google Earth shot of the strip:

[​IMG]

If you use the distance function, the shutdown is 0.22 miles before you hit the sand (or 1,160 ft). Not quite the 1,550 they advertise, unless they're counting the trap.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

29. tooslow54

tooslow54

Yeah, cuz they are counting the sand trap...:D