Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Hot Rod Forum?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Cappa, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cappa

Cappa

OK, so my post got shut down. What is a traditional hot rod anyway? I mean really, doesn't the whole idea of limiting what is or isn't a hot rod conflict with the original intention of a hot rod and the lifestyle of the people that built them from the beginning? I guess I don't get it. My rig is American made. The newest major component on my rig is the rear axle from a '70s truck. The oldest is the grille from a 1945. The engine is early '60s, the tranny is a '47-'68, the body is a 1948 and so is the front axle. If you read the last four sentences anywhere else on this forum you'd think "hot rod". But add the word "Jeep" and it's like Hitler just rolled into town.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dude, it's hideous, sorry!

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

been here almost 2 years and don't have it figured out? might be time to move along...

4. Barz51

Barz51

Jeeps are not traditional hot rod material. Period. If you want to talk about jeeps go to a jeep forum. No malice intended.

No more really needs to be said.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

a traditional hotrod is a hotrod built the way, or as close to the way it would have been before 1964-65 (pre-musclecar). doesnt have to be american, just cant be a cobbled together ratrod, or a billet mobile.
    not saying nobody ever made a hotroed out of a jeep back then, but i certainly havent seen one

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's all about appearances.

7. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

also see the abomination fj40 rat they did for sema a couple of years back....
    there is a "bucket" running around anchorage/eagle river alaska made with a samurai tub.... WTF!
    to each there own, but people will form opinons.....

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We don't cover the whole hot rod world... Just the traditional aspect. It's not a personal fling at you or your car, it's an editorial one.

9. Cappa

Cappa

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't take it personal at all. I get the editorial thing. I understand editorial needs to cater to the readers. I mean you're not gonna go put a sport truck or Oprah cooking tips on your home page (unless it's April Fools). But this is a forum... Ehh, ultimately it's your deal. Thanks.

10. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

But then why is a truck or COE alright then?

I tottaly get the traditional hod rod idea, but I'm confused as to why somthing like that early willys isnt but an old shop truck rat rod is OK??

Is it because the willys still had the front axle?

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Simply because I like shop trucks... and I like the role they have played in the history of hot rods and customs. They've always been there.

As for rat rods, we try to stay specific to traditional.

12. YOU JEEP DRIVIN HITLER!!!!! kidding.

13. magnet

magnet

Hooah, zactly the point Ryan.

Traditional Hot Rods and Customs... Rat Rods.. not the same thing.

In my personal Dictionary:
    Traditional Hot Rod or Custom = A safe roadworthy vehicle built in the style of, and using the methods and parts available to, hot rodders and customizers in the years 1964 and earlier.

Rat Rod = A vehicle built utilizing non standard methods, parts, with no specific historical style, with the intent on drawing attention to the "non standardness". Sometimes unsafe, unkempt and not roadworthy.

I personally dont care what you build.. just that you drive it.

14. Cappa

Cappa

I beg to differ. Seems to me people like Larry Minor have been building hot rods out of Jeeps longer than most members here have been alive (1959). HERE It just happens to be on a different terrain is all.

What it comes down to is preference. Ryan doesn't want 'em here. Period. And I'm OK with that. But don't try and back it up with fiction. Jeeps were made into hot rods of sorts long before many so called "traditional hot rods" even rolled off the Detroit assembly line. That is fact.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, man.

16. I think the problem is you are confusing "Traditional Hot Rod" with Hot Rod. Traditional Hot Rods have a certain style and flavor as defined here and speak of a certain era.
    Hot Rod is a broad term that can be applied to any performance modified vehicle, John Force and Rusty Wallace love to call their race cars Hot Rods, it just isn't what this board is about. Simple

17. to me the only jeep that would get any traction around here would be a flatfender with a flathead v8. which i beleive i read that wally parks did one like that in the pacific to hold him self over untill the got back to his real hot rod state side

18. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

hey Cappa, are you the guy from JP mag?

19. irv53

irv53
    BANNED

these people hav'nt seen a hot rodded jeep/speedster, theres a couple of em around here in Bremerton, Washington, I don't care what anyone says ,they are hot rod as much as a fibreglass stage-coach or fire truck that does wheelies for a quarter mile or jet powered DRAGSTER.There are extremes ,but its always been "if you like it ,build it

20. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

uh...those aren't traditional hot rods either twerp.

21. simple answer : Cause Ryan said so!

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

yeah... twerp! :)

23. magnet

magnet

Haven't heard that in years... might have to start using that again :)

24. irv53

irv53
    BANNED

WHY did you call me a twerp???You KNOW nothing about me,:eek: you judgemental SOB

25. motorhead711

motorhead711

diddo. Just what he said. :D

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Too much Drama...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.