Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 International Harvester Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerplant, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Love the build, have any new pics?

BBC

2. Nope.... I've been busy building my seats and fixing up a gas saver that I just drug home (2002 VW GTI)

I am in the process of getting my title for the rod which has been enough to keep me busy altogether.

3. carmarket

carmarket

Great build keep it goin.If any of you International guys know where I can get the trim and emblem for a 36 grill let me know. Thanks. Scott

4. Look for some updates soon. I am about ready to get it out of the corner of the garage and try to get it on the road before too long. Still have the whole brake system to complete, electrical to run and some other odds and ends. May not be too exciting but I will keep updating.
    My major accomplishment over the winter was getting a title and plates for it. Now I just need to get to work!!

5. Finally some updates... Just trying to get it on the road at this point, nothing too exciting. Started working on the brake pedal & master cylinder mount. Also started in on the electrical, using the harness from the Chevy truck (I know trying to re-use a old electrical harness is asking for problems but I am a tightwad and I don't see anything wrong with it so what the heck). I even used the blinker switch which took some messing with but I will work for now.

Attached Files:

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking pick-up. Your yellow cab is a C model built 34-36.The other truck is a D model built 37-40.The D model was the first all steel cab for IH.

8. oj

oj

Your truck looks great, i am doing one similiar (a Federal ) and am curious as to what your wheelbase is.

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Lots of nice work there Powerplant! Looking good! I have a 35 that is almost done.

10. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

nice truck! glad to see that there are several binders on here. haven't seen many kb models though. have you thought of a scout tailgate. most of the mid 60's models had stamped lettering "international across it. could be cool. i'm with every body else hood sides and all. maybe even hood and sides reworked to let the headers out. or long tube zomies up under the fender. just spitball'n for your ass kick. keep up the good work.

11. I will have to look into the tailgate... that's a good idea... I am not too fond of what I have on there right now.

Later on down the road I am considering making a hood... we will see how it goes I guess...

Thanks for the compliments everyone..... it's a long ways from being done... I just want to drive it this year and maybe next winter start on some finishing with paint and such.

12. More done: I almost have the wiring done, I need some large gauge primary wire and to hook up some sort of switch to my brake pedal and that should be about it. Got my front friction shocks started, I just need to attach them to the suspension. Mounted the battery & gas tank, added some gussets to the hoop on the rear axle. One of my favorites.. the high/low beam kick switch... it's been awhile since I had one of those. Oh yea.. and a horn also. I extended the steering shaft, due to the long arm exiting the cab the steering was way too fast. Adding a little to the arm at the wheel did the trick (I think). I started the brake lines but didn't get any further than the front. Some more time on brake lines and a fuel line... couple more odds and ends and I should be on the road before too long. I have decided not to paint the frame this year as I just want to drive it. This winter I plan on tearing it down and finishing it some here and there.

Oh yea.. the wire nuts are temporary obviously... just a helper to get the wiring sorted until I can finish it off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  13. More done. The brakes are complete including emergency brake. Electrical is done. Ran the hard tubing for the fuel but I still need some hose and hose clamps to finish it up. I still need to mount the seats and belts, install windshield glass, attach the friction shocks in front, put a new seal on the transmission pan and I should be able to drive it. I am guessing my next update will be in the form of a video if I can figure out how to host it on here. Besides that it is just a bunch of tinkering here and there. I am guessing 2 weeks if I am lucky.

14. Well... the moment we've all been waiting for (well some of us anyway)...

Got enough done to get it on the road. Window glass, exhaust ran under the cab, emergency brake in, front suspension hooked up, seatbelts in. I am probably forgetting some stuff but you get the idea. Still some tweaking to do, the transmission doesn't shift right, the rear suspension still isn't quite right either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZCRfvqNnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsD5dKn60Y

15. very cool ride!! can't wait 'till I am at the same point!!

16. richardlw

richardlw

Very nice work, and timely as I'm going to look at one.
    Although my idea at the moment, if I buy it, is rebuild it stock.

Is the windshield frame Stainless or antimony?

I wrote up my processe for restoring Stainless and Aluminum in this paper:

Download Updated stainless polishing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Thanks for the compliments

Been beating out the last few things here and there. I ran my exhaust through the frame and out the back. Before I routed it under the cab frame and there just wasn't enough ground clearance. Welded down the floor and finished the tunnel then covered everything in "peel & seal". I whipped up a some pads for headrests (I just had a fellow hot rodder I know get rear ended and hit his head hard on nothing but steel... I was planning on putting them in anyway but that may have gotten them done just a bit quicker. I made my own mufflers with some 5" supertrapp discs and a couple different sized pipes. You obviously can't see the one on the inside... about half the diameter of the outside pipe and drilled with a slew of holes. They are still a bit loud but they should work.

Driven it around town a little bit... this thing is going to be a blast although I stopped and filled up with gas for the first time and the first question I got was..... "hey, what kind of millage does that thing get?". Lame... to say the least.

I have only a couple more things planned before I do more driving than building. I was considering some sort of fur for the floor covering. I also need to mess with the transmission adjustments as it randomly downshifts when I am holding the throttle steady on level ground.

Attached Files:

18. Well, it's been on the road for about 2 weeks. Time to whore out some pics. Don't mind the pic of me getting busted.... the officer that pulled me over to harass me is a friend of mine. Despite a mild case of police brutality I survived :)

I feel I built it well with safety in mind, good brakes, stout chassis & suspension, emergency brake, seatbelts etc. For my first project built from scratch I think I did fairly well. I do plan on painting it down the road, possibly add a hood and get the box looking more decent.

My next project is a 1946 ford pickup on a S10 chassis, yes I will be using all the fenders & hood.

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  19. Cool, at lease one of us is allready driving :)

20. Friend of mine did a rendering of it for me.... very cool....

I will probably throw this up in the Friday art show... I think he did a hell of a job..

Attached Files:

21. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Sure do love the truck Powerplant. Thanks for sharing the build pics.

Panel Pete likes this.
  22. Thought I would throw this up again just to warn everyone that I am back in winter mode making more bomber seats. Keep an eye out for them on a certian auction website in the near future. I will try and post a link once I get them done.

23. 1 day left on the bombers

24. This is a great build. I just came to own a '34-'36 wrecker. I haven't even seen it yet, but this makes me anxious for the snow to melt so I can go get it.

JOE:cool:

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great build i like the unique pick up and the cool drivetrane nice

26. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

i was told at one time that the cab manufacurer for these trucks also did the 35 and 36 willys cabs, they do look similar. nice job on this one.

27. ...nice job, nice windshield frame too, how you gonna mount the glass in that frame?; I'm sure a lot of us wanna know.

28. Minor Problem

Minor Problem

Nice build.Always liked the older IH trucks.This was my 46 I built back in the 90's.

Attached Files: