Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Hey all,
    I mounted the cab with fenders for the first time.
    Pictures here:
    http://www.glennsplace.com/June_2009.htm

Two issues:
    1. To center the front wheels in the fenders, I needed to move the cab forward from where I thought it would sit. So far forward that the tabs for the radiator support now rest on the old S10 forward mounts.
    2. I built the cab mounts per the drawings on this post. Seems to me the cab sits up awfully high. There is a bare block and tranny in place. No crank, rotating assembly, heads, etc. so it will sit a bit lower, but not much. I bought different springs as one of mine was broken.

Am I doing something dumb (AGAIN???) ?

Glenn

2. 1952SSR

1952SSR
    from Georgia

I had to put my bed on and get the wheels centered in the wheel wells in order to make mine look right. Then I put the running board and splash apron on to make sure I had it close. I've printed many pictures of various AD builds and to me the S10 frame rails stick too far forward out of the front clip even though I cut them were others did but, everything else looks good. I had to get mine outside cause my shop is to small to get far enough away from it to look at it good.

Attached Files:

3. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

It's been awhile since I posted any pics on here, so here's the last 3 months progress............I put the 37 in storage March 21st, so I'd have enough room to work on the truck, ( I need to add on to my shop) besides mowing, doing honeydews, trying to keep all my junk late models running, & trying to make a little cash doing machine work, ect. here's the fruit of my labor. Got the radiator mocked up and ordered, the bed and cab mounts figured out and mounted, the gas tank mounted, the clutch & brake pedal assembly fabbed & mounted and most of the floor boards made and welded, (all but the toe boards.) Got some more pics if anyone's interested, Still got a way to go, but I can see the light @ the end of the tunnel. Anyway can't wait till this fall when I put my driver back up and continue......................

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The shop dog looks happy, so I guess I did good.......:D

[​IMG]

Later,
    Billy

4. studeboy

studeboy

Thirty7slammed, that truck is going to be AWESOME when done. The front tire stuffed way up into the fenders on the skates is a nice statement as to how low it will be. I was just looking at your photobucket album, nice work so far.

5. bustac

bustac

Noob to the HAMB, I just starting gathering parts for my 1947 Chevy AD S/15 swap and came across this thread .

The plan is to use an 2005 Silverado 5.3 and a 4L80E. Here are couple of pics on my build site. I was thinking about baggin it anyone else running a LS1 style motor? Looking to make up some motor mounts for it.

6. uglydog56

uglydog56

7. v8 garage

v8 garage

8. 51 Shortbed

51 Shortbed

Hi all I'm wondering does anyone know if there is another Chevy midsize car that uses the same upper, lower, control arms that have a wider track than a S-10 instread of using wheel spacers when mounting a 47 chey halton over the S-10 frame

9. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

if Im not mistaken.. 80 or 82 Malibu control arms are interchangable.. double check with a gm dealer..

My Henry j is just fine width wize. on a s10 blazer 2 wheel drive chassis. others Im not sure about..

10. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

All G-body chassis (GM Metric intermediate) from '78-87 including Regal, Cutlas, Grand Prix, Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo, etc. have a 58" track width vs the S-10 54" width. The frame is what makes the track width different since these cars all share the same parts (splindles, upper and lower a-arms, steering box, etc.)

Or, you could look here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317178

or you could perform a tall-spindle conversion with parts from the larger full-size chassis. This gains you about an inch. The other choice is custom longer uppers and lowers, however then the geometry gets really muffed up quickly due to the location of the upper and lower pivot points. If you keep the suspension travel to a minimum, then it may work.

Scott

11. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

I used an 82 S-10 frame under my 54 Dodge Royal. I lowered the frame 5/8 and used Speedway SBC motor mounts and tranny mount with a factory S-10 rearend. It's my daily driver and a kick in the pants to drive![​IMG]

12. 65stepside

65stepside

funny ive been thinkin about a s10 swap for my 34 chev p/u
    ive got no frame now so i gotta do something this is one of the major hold ups right now
    has anyone done this swap
    awesome thread

13. bullwinkle45

bullwinkle45

I put my 1939 Fargo on a S10 long box , fits like a glove!

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sort of off-topic, but this seems relevant to this thread. You can pretend this refers to a ‘49 Chevy NAPCO replica (which it would be, if I had my druthers), if you’d like.

My wife drives a 1996 S10 Blazer and the front wheels are making all sorts of noise. Rather than let them fall off, I’ve decided to replace the wheel bearings, and to that end have purchased new hub assemblies.

I don’t own a service manual for this car, but I did find this online:

Two Questions:

1) Does this procedure sound right?
    2) He doesn’t mention greasing anything - is that because the new hub assemblies are sealed units and can’t be greased?

Thanks,

Dave

15. 65stepside

65stepside

basically that sound right
    the new hubs are sealed units
    if the new hubs come with abs sensor and harness use the new ones
    if not clean old sensors and check for wear or cracks
    your s10 is new and should have a lock stlye nut on it

16. 65stepside

65stepside

ok sorry that should be your s10 is NEWER ant the axle nut sholud be a lock style nut

17. edweird

edweird

how about a 53 studebaker coupe? i 'm thinking seriously about this, but need some insight. i've allready put one under a 52 dodge p-up that was easy. thanks ed:)

18. shortyforty

shortyforty
    from NH

The first S10 frame swap i ever saw was about twelve years ago done by a co-workers father with an early 50's stude coupe. It looked like a natural.

19. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

Ok folks. This thread did it, I am starting a chassis swap using the s10 frame. I am putting my 50 Merc panel van body on it and am going to use a 302 Ford and aod trans (OMG!!!!he,he) I got the motor mounts and trans mount made and the engine sitting in the frame now, and I have used an old 50 pickup cab I had to make the front and mid cab mounts, the rest should sit on the frame like the pickup box would. Is there a prefered steering column for this swap?? When I got my frame it was already stripped bare, so no donor column there. Anyone have a good idea on heavier rear springs??Would regular GM half ton springs work?? I want to haul a trailer with this when I am done.

20. Zooker

Zooker

I just drug home a "91" S-10 long box for a chassis donor for one of my KBs. I'll start stripping it tomorrow. What front and rear wheel combo works out best for the vintage truck/S-10 mutations?
    Another S-10 bites the dust so another IH can live again!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That would be clunkers for clunkers, then? :D

-Dave

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Is the front tire really sitting that far to the rear in the fender well? And the rear looks forward....

23. studeboy

studeboy

Zman I see it now that you mention it. I wonder if offset blocks were used to move the rear back about 1.5" it would be as noticable. The size of the front tires make it look like turning into a parking space could get tricky.

24. nickpayton

nickpayton
    from a

I've got my '51 on an ext. cab s15 and cut it down to 114" wheel base. I had to cut down the bed and running boards. It wasn't hard just took some time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. nickpayton

nickpayton
    from a

26. kruzr

kruzr

Hi guys,been a while since I posted,putting up progress pics of my 37 Ford on s-10.
    Alot of work but definitely worth the chassis swap....imo.
    Still under construction,don't want glass running boards so decided to make my own,makes it look more hotrod. Made new grille insert.Not going to use that tailgate.
    Still undecided to whack the roof 3inches:rolleyes:
    No the fuel cell aint stayin' there............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  27. i'm glad these swaps went well. all i can say is the s10 doesn't work under a 38' ford truck! the steering box is too far forward check out my album pic's. kruzer i would like to see some build pic's. what did you do with the steering box?

28. kruzr

kruzr

29. no pic's jerry i looked. anyone else have any s10 chassis pic's with r&p?

30. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

55dude,
    Im building a 40 ford pickup, I used a vega box, and trimmed the front frame horns, that gave me the clearence I needed for radiator and fenders.

Billy

Attached Files:

• box1.jpg
      box1.jpg
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
    • box2.jpg
      box2.jpg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views: