Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fenderwell headers help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superstockcatalina, Jul 28, 2009.

1. so i have this 55 chevy im making a gasser out of. you may hate me for it but im keeping the stock front suspension, i want to go early gasser style as if some kid could still drive it to school.

All the fenderwell headers i see for sale are fancy nice tubes all bent the same and really close together. i hate that shit. who has or makes any really early style headers with tubes that are nice bigger bends and not all tight together? i have a small block in there and building a 388 stroker to look like a little 327. i have offy finned coveres on the way and already have the low-rise dual quad set up...just need some nice old school looking fenderwell headers and cant find any i like....

2. squirrel

squirrel

swap meets/epay, find some old ones. or make your own!

3. thats my issue, ive been searching swap meets forever, maybe its cause florida SUCKS and ebay has crap and all the new ones are too fancy. i'd make my own but i dont have a mig and i absoluteley suck at tig welding.... so i figured if anyone knows where to find some good used ones or just a company that makes them would be nice, dougs headers i dont like as well as hooker..so maybe i need to just attempt to make some..

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Contrary to the current gasser ("GASSER!!!") trend, not all of them had straight axles. Mine has stock a-arms and under-car headers and will stay that way.

Doesn't Stahl still make fenderwell headers for tri-fives?

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

I see them all of the time on EBay for tri-5 chevys. ...there are two pair on there as I type.

6. brandon

brandon

you could probably buy 2 or 3 pairs of used ones for the cost of those new...:D

7. used the headers made for early nova, they fit and look bitchin

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

The only problem I know of is with the stock susp. The tubes of the header hit the tire so you can't get a tight full turn. Tripleduece on here had the same problem and I stayed away from them. The Hooker Supercomps look good in there with the big tubes and they fit tight as a glove

9. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

True. Stahl's have a nice look though.

10. Straight axle wasn't even an option in '64 unless it came with one.

Early '60s is when I start to remember racing the most and that's kind of what I'm shooting at.

Also contrary to popular myth not all gassers had fender well headers. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys were the mainstay of the north coast through a big portion of the '60s.

11. Not sure exactly what you mean by fancy and bent together not being early style. These are the Doug's Headers for a Tri 5 small block, fenderwell style with stock front suspension that Doug came out with back in the early 60's and we continue to make today. Sorry to disappoint you but that is the way quality headers were made "Back in the Day". Same with Hookers. Order 'em raw if you don't want the more modern coating.
    [​IMG]