Register now to get rid of these ads!

How NOT to change your oil !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32gal, Jul 27, 2009.

1. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

So Cruzr was going to help me change the oil on the 32 today. I pulled the car into his carport{we both live in a retirement community } and he proceeds to dig out his floor jack. It was stuck on a extension cord so he lifts it up , and it slips ,coming down on his little finger, slicing about 1/4 inch of flesh off the side. Afetr i stopped the bleeding which was plenty,we took off to the Auto Parts store to get oil, and a filter. Cruzr had the number for the filter for the guy to get out of the back. Upon returning , Cruzr;s finger had almost stopped throbbing, so we jacked up the car and drained the oil. When he started to remove the filter it was screwed on way to tight,so after a half hour he finally gets it free. Should be clear sailing from here,right?? So we stick the new filter on,fill with oil and start the engine. Immediatly we notice about 3 quarts of oil gushing out from the filter area. So Cruzr takes the filter off and discovers they gave him the wrong one. Now we have a real mess on the floor, and Cruzr is entertaing the neighbors with some very loud F***s and Gdams , and such. Well alls well that ends well, after another trip to the Auto Parts store to get the right filter,and some more oil the job is almost complete except for the massive oil spill on the garage floor that would be on par with the Exon spill in Alaska. Bottom line is take nothing for granted,always check your replacement parts to make sure they handed ya the right one.

Are you reading this Cruzr........:D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. custom

custom
    from Ohio

IMO if the parts store was at fault for the sake of customer satisfaction they should have given you free of charge whatever it took to clean the mess up...............

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

YIKES! Been there,....done that. But I was 17 and it was Dads garage floor.

Good luck getting it all cleaned up. With all that fresh oil you should be able to rack up alot of miles now....get out there and drive.

4. budd

budd

funny story, a couple days ago my ranger stoped running, so i had a fuel filter and though maybe that was the problem, who knows dam fuel injection, i jack the truck up and put jack stands under it, not thinking the fuel line would have pressure in it i put it off the filter, well a jet of fuel comes shooting out and fills my ear right up, geez did that ever burn, i get out and tip my head and let the gas pour out, still burning, i get my water bottle and pour my ear full of water, stops the burning, but the water doesn't stay in with my head up, so i have to keep pouring water in, later i drive down to my GF's and at every light i pour a fresh batch of water in, i wonder what people though in the car next to me, my ear is fine now.

5. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

Heres "MR Fixits" finger

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      126.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Roadsir

Roadsir

....Man I'm glad my wife is not on the HAMB, not that i have I have ever done any of that!;)

7. cruzr

cruzr

I plead the "fifth":rolleyes:

8. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

We arent married,but i couldnt resist:D

9. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I was immediately thinking the old filters gasket had stayed and new filter on top of it. Not that I've ever done that.........

10. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

No it was the wrong filter,the seal or o-ring was not at the edge, it was slightly to the center,therefore missing the ridge cavity it seats in.

11. John Denich

John Denich

Thats funny!!!! sucks about the finger hey I got the stuff to clean the top in my trunk of my 51 remind me on Sat morning!!!!

12. knucklescars

knucklescars

I'm not sure i understand what the big deal is. Doesn't this type of thing happen to everyone every time they change oil? My cars are not properly serviced without some kind of blood sacrifice.:D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  13. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Afetr i stopped the bleeding which was plenty,we took off to the Auto Parts store to get oil, and a filter.

This sentence kills me, no disrespect intended. I bet you two are the life of that retirement community!

14. I have a similar story.
    I had just installed a 390 in my 53 Ford club coupe. Since the front cross member was very close to the where the filter goes I could not use a regular filter so I installed a remote unit. Upon firing up the motor I watched the oil pressure come up and smiled as I had put in a new mellings high volume oil pump. Rev the motor up and whooooose oil went every where!!!!!! I thought maybe I did not get the filters tight on the remote unit so I put 2 new ones on. Filled it back up with oil and tried it again. This time I was leaning in under the hood when I reved it. As the RPMS started to climb I saw that the oil filters were growing in size. when the pressure reached 100 PSI Whoooose once again oil went every where. Through gearheads smarter than me I found out that the oil pump check valve was stuck. They said just pull the pan and rap it with a hammer and you will be OK. Well you have to pull the motor to pull the pan so that was not going to work. Bought 2 Fram racing filters at 15 bucks each - good to 130 PSI. Put those on and tried it all again at about 115 PSI I heard a PING and the pressure went down to 70.
    Live and learn

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  15. i'm telling ya, go to baums autosupply..... la paz/marguerite pkwy. don't trust the chains. well now you have blood, it was hot today so sweat, now all you need is some tears :).

16. At school we were putting back together an O/T car that hadn't run in at least a year, an insurance wreck they bought to fix. Like an idiot I uncap the gas line to start putting that together and get a face full - never stopped to think that A: the car might still have gas in it, and B: that it would be in the lines yet.... that burned like a fucker, but the eye-wash station helped a lot. Now that was... 1997 I think.

And I don't know that I ever learned, I bought a wire cup brush for the grinder a couple weeks ago and kept on using it even though I had to tighten screws on the grinder that worked loose from the vibration. A cheap Harbor Freight tool, I ran it some but if I hit edges wrong bristles would come flying off it. Like six hours after I stopped using it I put my hand on my knee and think to myself "that's wierd, why am I sore there?" ... long story short I'd managed to impale one of the wires in my knee. Through my jeans and it went unnoticed after I cleaned up and changed clothes to go home, no less. Was fun to pull out through my jeans, too - I wasn't anyplace where I could drop my drawers to get a look at it. Not a serious injury, kind of gross, but I suppose it could just as easily have hit my eye -

17. cruzr

cruzr

well the finger bled on and off all night,maybe i shoulda seen a doctor. you can bet your bottom dollar i learned several lessons from this fiasco:(

18. My favorite trick about every 5 years is to not notice that the old filter's rubber seal is still stuck on the engine and put the new filter on with its' new seal. Usually takes about a day before I notice it.

19. My sister bought a new o/t truck years ago and told me it had an oil LEVEL gauge and not a pressure gauge.Kept putting oil into it until the gauge was at the top end.Well,a Toyota 4 cylinder truck should not run with 8 quarts of oil in it.And it didn't.It blew the filter and oil everywhere.Lucky she didn't ruin something.Now she listens to me...

20. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Cruzr had the number for the filter for the guy to get out of the back

You mean to tell me you didnt look at the new filter number and compare to old filter number? PH8A Yeah?

One more vote for Baums Auto Supply!!

21. cruzr

cruzr

No i didnt look,but in my defense at that time ,i was pissed, finger throbbing,and generally not a happy camper.......

22. corsair

corsair

Best solution if this happens again is to grab a small C-clamp. Tighten it over the oil filter until the sides crush in enough to give you purchase. Much safer than the old stab it with a screwdriver trick :D

Hope your finger is healing up!

23. budhaboy

budhaboy

glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way- Ive gone so far as to tear back down a freshly rebuilt motor and rebuild it a second time just because I didnt bash a knuckle and shed at least a single drop of blood.

24. 61TBird

61TBird

You need a tube of Crazy Glue in your toolbox:D

IF (your interpretation might be different than others) you don't need to see a Doctor,Wash out the cut,close it up with Crazy Glue and Bandage it well.

25. perk30

perk30

I was changing the oil in my wife's car. It's a real pia to reach the filter. It felt a little funny as I was tightening the new filter but I just figured it was the hose that was rubbing against it as I tightened it. Got the new filter on ,oil in and started the car. Heard a gushing sound and saw oil spraying everywhere on the ground and all over the engine compartment. Apparently as I was feeling my way to the filter mounting point with the filter in hand the gasket fell off and was lying on the frame. I guess that gasket really serves it's purpose.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

flesh dont heal up very good, when well oiled;)

the trick with super glue is a winner..been there..done that

27. Read the title and thought Aaron was back ;)

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Grumpy old men :D I'm getting a mental image of him jumping up and down and cussing and yelling after the oil went everywhere.

29. Man I miss Baums! Didn't always give me what I asked for but always what I needed.

30. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

In a retirement community? Doesn't anyone give you rebels shit for that!!!!!!!!! HaHaHaHaHaHa!!