Register now to get rid of these ads!

Von Dutch swapmeet find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by laid55, Jul 27, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice score! Next question, did the seller have the rest of the bike somewere? Whos bike was it and are there photos out there somewere?

2. monsterflake

monsterflake

DUDE! there's some serious folks agreeing that it's real, i'd be dancing around like a little girl if i were you!

really, how much was it? nobody's gonna give you any shit for turning it,that's a pretty big deal!

3. laid55

laid55

to tell you the truth,I wanted to carry that thing away so fast,I didn't get a chance to ask anymore questions.but I remember who the seller was,and he's a frequent vender.believe me,I'm making up a list questions and practicing my nonsholont/not too interested voice!:D
    as far as pictures,I'm hoping somehow,we'll find some through the HAMB.I've seen some crazy mysteries solved here!

4. billylo

billylo

Wall find of the year For sure.

5. Nunzy

Nunzy

That's better than finding gold! Hell it is gold! I wonder how many other items are floating around out there?!?

6. WHARTON

WHARTON

Wow great find congrats!!

7. Weasel

Weasel

Wonderful score, but why are so many people obsessed with money/price/value:confused: - it's cool as hell and that is all that matters.

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's badass!
    The "style" of the fairing and flames looks mid-late '60s???
    That'd be bitchin' hanging above my TV in the livin' room...haha......

9. 52style

52style

alright its been over three pages already whats it worth damn it!!!

10. looks like one thats missing from a cafe scooter somewhere ...
    hopefully final possesion will prevail

bmw ....norton or ????

have ya checked ...... jockey journal .. or are you afraid...

ok builda scoot and use it VD would want it on the road

next thing they will make hats and t-shirts to match watch out

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

A couple years ago I was the second high bidder on a glovebox door on Ebay. I was sure enough of the authenticity to bid $1515 on it. It was a dark green '50's car, I'm not sure of what it was even off of. It was bought from an estate that had a few pieces of motorcycle memorabilia, model airplane and also Navy officer memorabilia. What convined me of the originality was of the two small stick figures that would have only been about 3/8 inch high judging from the glovebox door button. There was a male figure with his hands in the air and a female figure pointing either her finger or gun at the male figure. Imagine a 3/8 tall stick figure with such fine detail you could it was a female. Just my guess at the signifigance of the artwork but maybe she was pissed because he spent so much money to have the car striped. If anyone knows who bought this piece, I would like to talk to the new owner. That thing made me sick. I was sick because I bid way too much for it (at least what I could afford). Then it made me sick because I didn't bid enough (I didn't get it).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

A nice piece of motoring history. Congrats! I'm envious!

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Can't recall the brand name of that faring but looks to be what was sold for BMW's late 50s-60s.

14. elrobo818

elrobo818

15. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

OK, you got the first part, now you just gotta build the rest!

16. eric

eric

Bitchin' score Rene!!!
    Just caught the article in Dice Magazine with the bike you and your nephew built, congrats dude!

17. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Way cool find...congrats!

18. My guess is because he was so original and such from what I gather a very my way or the highway type of guy.

The story that still gets me is about the guy who went and bugged him for striping and gave him freedom to do whatever he wanted on the car for like 200$ or something like that lota money back then and Mr.Howard named his price also. Guy leaves and comes back later to find no striping. Guy gets pissed at him and then says wtf? Mr.Howard says look closer. Guy goes inside the car and searches everywhere. Last place he looks is the ashtray and guess what, Mr.Howard pinstriped a whole scene inside the ashtray of the car. This is just a story/myth I heard or read somewhere that always makes me smile and laugh. Or another I heard is of a guy who paid him only half what he asked for and was gonna pay the other half upon completion for a stripe job on his car. Well Mr.Howard only did one side of the car. When the guy came back he refused to do the other side and told the guy get the hell outta here. Myth or facts I do not know but I believe these happened.

Did that answer your question Weasel? Its more modern art then say Van Gogh, Or Picasso and we as car fellas and gals who like the lines, flows, sharp edges, unique creations, and weird caricatures dig it.-Weeks

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow.

Congrats, you've just had one of the luckiest days of your life!

20. What a find! It does look like an aftermarket fairing,very similar to what Craig Vetter offered back in the late 60's-early 70's. Any connection there that someone can elaborate on?

I'm both extremely envious and happy as hell that you saved some of our history. RIP,KH.

21. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

What color ya gonna paint it?

22. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

hahaha,that's just wrong! lol

23. ... dude that is so friggin cool, I wouldn't be able to stop smilin' if it was me :D.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paint a rat fink over it!

25. AMAZING!!!!! I'll add my vote for authentic to those of the real experts in the preceding posts (Von Franco, Ray, Fritz, Coby, Chaz, Anthony). In a post to a recent thread that analyzed a bogus Dutch piece I remarked that one of these days someone will find a real example....they're still out there.

I like where Dutch chose to sign the piece, so the windscreen would protect the signature!

Good eyes, GREAT find, thanks for taking the time to post quality pics.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  26. seatex

seatex

Magnificent score, but I wish your m/c license plate wasn't visible in the photo.
    Now we will have to track you down and kill you...............................:D

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So...........how long after you bought it did it take to buy the lottery tickets?:eek::cool::D

Frank

28. Death Trap13

Death Trap13

29. Fenders

Fenders

What he said X2 !!