Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macaroni, Jul 27, 2009.

1. macaroni

macaroni
    from portland

I have a 63 nova hardtop with a rebuilt full manual powerglide and 2800 stall converter with under 500 miles on the tranny. now it is slippping in 1st it will barely pull the car up to speed and when it is up to speed if you tap the gas (still in 1st before shifting to 2nd) it spins like if you put the clutch in on a four speed. fluid is clean and full (not over full) vacuume is hooked up, cable on the b&m quarter stick is adjusted correctly. I dont know much about these trannys and how to service them are the bands adjustable am i overlooking anything any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yeah, the band is adjustable:
    Put it in neutral.
    Turn input and output shafts simultaneously, to center band on drum.
    Loosen 9/16" jam nut.
    Tighten 7/32 Allen adjusting screw to 70 inch lbs (or snug).
    Back out adjusting screw 3 1/2 to 4 turns.
    Tighten jam nut while holding adjusting screw.

3. macaroni

macaroni
    from portland

so just to clarify i tighten the adjusting nut then back it off? please dont think im stupid it just sounds backwards.
    can I do this in the car?

4. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, you tighten the adjuster nut to a specified torque, then back it of a specified number of turns. That gives the band an exact amount of slack, which is what it needs.

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

also the glide works off throttle pressure. that "kick down" rod is really what sets line pressure. if its not adjusted correctly the line pressure will be to low and that will make it slip.

6. macaroni

macaroni
    from portland

so can i do this under the car or are check balls gonna go flying everywere. ive never dug that far into a tranny just wondering what to expect.

7. squirrel

squirrel

the band adjustment bolt is on the driver side of the case, not far from the shift linkage

8. macaroni

macaroni
    from portland

Thank you very much guys it works perfectly now. it was way out of adjustment.